Author Topic: 4398 - Western Take Along (2011)  (Read 17577 times)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
4398 - Western Take Along (2011)
« on: May 16, 2011, 20:44:56 »
Hello All, I have not been contributing much after the WJT, I guess I had a bit of a burnout!

But nothing helps you get back in the saddle more than opening more blue boxes and writing a review so here goes.

Wolf Knight said he would write a review of this set but I had already taken all the pics when I read that and I asked him if it was ok for me to make the review. Sir Wolf if you have anything to add feel free.

So after seeing the new DS catalogue I said I would order the Water Tower and Windmill but not start on the Western theme. However when I saw the take along set for 25 Euro I really couldn’t pass up on it and my wife happily agreed (she wanted the carriages).

First up are the box images where it is already clearly displayed what the “storyline” of this set is.

It all comes neatly stored in the box, you can easily fold the buildings together and take it along. These are not designated buildings as the big signs are stickers so if you already have some of the old Western buildings, say a Bank and a Sherriff’s Office, you can design a new sticker and make this into a post office and a drug store if you would want that.

Here is a picture of the loot that is included in this set. It isn’t much and personally I don’t understand why the Bandit is risking his neck for these meager spoils. I guess these are hard times in the west.

The arms that come with this set are ok but there isn’t any access. The Sheriff has a single holster and the Bandit has two, so that takes care of the three revolvers. There are four slots in the weapon rack, which aesthetically is best filled with two short and two long barrel riffles. This leaves one short riffle for the sheriff.

The klickies are very well done and a I think one of the reason I bought the set was when I took a closer look at this little guys. They all have a very well balanced design IMO. The legs on the Sheriff can be used for medieval klikies as well.

There is quite a nice amount of furniture that comes with the set. The old vault is of course a nice item, but I was personally very happy to get one of these beds. I plan on getting loads of them as they are ideal for medieval castles/inns.

The big cactus is always a great addition to any Western set and does wonders for the surroundings. The two horses are exactly what you’d expect of a this type of set nothing spectacular but great that they included one of those saddles with a blanket roll and a riffle holder.

Here is the first of the overview pictures. This story does end well as the sheriff was just in time to catch the bad guy and lock him behind bars.

Here is a better look of the Sheriff’s office.

This is the inside of the Bank it would have been nice if there would have been one more chair but that might have been pushing it.

And finally the overview shot with both office clearly visible.

So honestly, I am not moving into Western (yet) but this set is too much of a bargain IMO to pass up on. I love how this as a set on its own tells a great story, not seen since the Hansel and Gretel (etc) sets.

Unfortunately I either missed or didn’t have those type of windows that were apparently included in the German version that was reviewed on klickywelt which had some plastic in place to prevent stuff from falling out. It would have been handy so I have no clue what is going on with that.

The carriage is a lovely set for 18 Euro’s but it is a pretty standard affair so I won’t do a review on that (and my wife had it together before I could take the pictures anyway)

Hope you enjoyed the review and maybe we’ll see many new Western Collections start with this.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
Re: 4398 - Western Take Along (2011)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 20:49:50 »
Great review, Gis! :wave:

I might have to get this one! :)

I too like the klickies very much, and I think that micro cacti is a new one too! :D

Damo :)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 20:55:53 »
That's a really nice review. A pity thought you didn't get the "glass" for the windows...not much of a take along if you can loose everything on the way....  8}
I would get it if I could.... I love western!
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 21:02:20 »
To me it looks like the windows are on the box image.

I can see why your banker was robbed. The teller has a bed in his office. Your crook though has to sleep on the cold floor.  ;D

Great pictures and review thank you

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 21:06:06 »
Thank you for this pictures and review Gis! Now I am more anxious to get it, I believe, judging by the tracking number, I'll have it tomorrow. Neat set!

A sheriff usually had different rifles on his weapons rack so the different rifles are a good choise!

Just one thing, the bed goes in the cell, not in the bank  ;)

And most importantly, I love the fact they reissued the vault again!!!

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 21:11:22 »
Just one thing, the bed goes in the cell, not in the bank  ;)

I know that is how it is supposed to be. But the banker and the sheriff have no home. so I thought it would be weird to give the most comfortable sleeping place to the Bandit and have the banker sleep in his chair. The sheriff has his rocking chair out in front so he is sort of ok without a bed!

*grin*

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 21:12:23 »
I think maybe the banker is also a psychiatrist! :P Thanks for the great review, Gis! I'm definitely going to be getting this set. ;D Too bad you lost you window glass. :(
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline el jefe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 22:32:22 »
Thanks for the review Gis.  :wave: Very thorough.  I'm still excited to get these, but I now realize the interiors of the buildings are quite small.  But hey the price is right and they'll look nice nestled in a western town. 

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 23:29:42 »
BTW, that was also an interesting note that the signs are just stickers, so you could buy more than one set and make alternate stickers to have different buildings.  :thanks:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 00:12:15 »
inspired by thsi thread I went and bought two Antex buildings. Sheriff office and the saloon.
Here is my review....

I WANT TO CRY.

:'(
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com