Author Topic: 4310 Jet Plane  (Read 9145 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
4310 Jet Plane
« on: April 12, 2011, 16:12:16 »
HF = 1180g/$59.99 = 19.69 g/$

The Jet Plane has been out for a while and is probably close to being removed from the online range, but we have not yet had a full review, though Socrates has shown us a nice customised version.

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1286.0

Make no mistake, this thing is big, by my measurements 24" long, 26" wingspan, and 9.5" to the top of the tailfin. Weighing in at nearly 1.2 kg, this is about the limit of what a child could comfortably carry around in play. It is the centrepiece of the almost-defunct Airport theme, but still currently available from Playmobil US.

The interior layout, as shown in the construction manual, has seating for the pilot and copilot, five passengers (or four plus the air hostess) and a restroom. There is a moveable grid separating the passengers from the cargo section, which has a top-hinged lifting door for easy access.

There are two options in the theme for accessing the passenger door. The main airport set has the modern walkway access, and there is also a steps truck. Unfortunately I haven't got either yet. My door doesn't open with the handle alone, and I had to help it along with a finger at the bottom. The style is just like a real airline door.

The interior is cosy, with just enough room between the seats for an aisle, but the restroom is very odd. They've given it a frosted glass door, with clear strips at eye-level. I've never encountered such a door to a public convenience in my world travels, and I'm wondering just what planet the designers live on. The restroom as located in the plans blocks access to the seats alongside it, and the door won't open fully, so the person in the rearmost seat would have to climb over another passenger, while enjoying a perfect view of anyone using the facilities.

The pilots' cabin is open to the main body of the plane, but there are two handholds for the stewardess to cling to. The instrument panel is a big sticker, but easily located with two bumps in the center with cutouts in the sticker, so it's not nearly as nerve-wracking to apply as stickers in some other sets. The cabin glass is removable for play access.

The wheel assemblies pop on and off easily, so the plane can be set up for the trans-Pacific flight. As there isn't room for the wheels to retract this is a very tidy design compromise.

The main wing pops off for easy storage, but it's attached with red system-x connectors and these didn't detach cleanly. The wings are a single skin and not particularly well-finished underneath, but are strong and light. Putting in the windows and putting the tires on the wheels comprised the bulk of the assembly task for this set.

The seats are all attached with system-x connectors and the restroom with moulded nubs, so the interior can be rearranged easily as desired, or left empty for a big cargo load.

I've rearranged the interior to give a wider aisle for access to the restroom, and a little more privacy to anyone using it, while reducing the cargo area.

As the only cargo provided is a wheeled suitcase for the mother and a backpack for the son, The space is still ample for my requirements.

Overall I think this set is as good as the size and weight constraints allow for easy play, and can easily be added to with a few extra passengers. The design allows the seats to be moved and removed, so the plane can be a cargo carrier or passenger plane as desired. If you haven't picked this up yet, and think you might be able to use a big jet plane in your collection, I urge you to get one soon.

Everything seen in the photos is included in the set and nothing has been added.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: 4310 Jet Plane
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 16:24:36 »
That is a great review Martin! Thank you for showing us these details!!!
Now my hand is itching...  :lol:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 16:30:57 »
Excellent review and photos of an excellent item, Martin.  Thank you very much.   :wave:

It is certainly a very striking model and, I think, the best aircraft Playmobil has made.  The interior features within the limitations of the space are very good.

It's too big to add to my collection and I already have the yellow and white one, but it's certainly tempting nonetheless.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 16:32:39 »
Oh my what a coincidence! I was just searching the site yesterday for some better pics of this set, as I'm thinking of getting it, and I found nothing! Thanks for the review. I now know it's going on my next order, to go with the lonely air traffic control tower I bought last week.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 18:31:50 »
Great review, Martin!  I like the interior pictures a lot. :yup: 

It jogged a memory or two, as I started my airline career in
1966, with a small company called Pacific Airlines out of San Francisco. 

Thanks for posting.

Best regards,
Jimbo

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 19:49:28 »
A very convincing review! I really would like to get my hands on several! :)
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 09:50:41 »
A very convincing review! I really would like to get my hands on several! :)

That idea I like also since i saw this report and I am more and more keen to buy a few of these lovelies ...  :love: :love: :love:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 15:41:23 »
Thanks for taking your time for doing a review Martin.

It is a great set that I was fortunate to get. I think it must have been Mac Gayver's custom paint jobs that got me so interested in these
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 17:10:57 »
Great review Martin. I like this set but there are so many higher on my wishlist.

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 18:23:19 »
Thanks for the excellent review Martin.
You almost convinced me to buy it! ;D
And though I never will, (most likely) I still enjoyed seeing the set and what it contained. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>