Author Topic: 4746 Double Axe Knight Special  (Read 6474 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
4746 Double Axe Knight Special
« on: March 08, 2011, 15:44:20 »
Dear All,

There has already been some discussion of this Special in a recent thread (http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=7262.0), but I thought it would be worth posting a full review.

The first two images are of all the parts, first in the bag, then laid out on my desk. One cannot complain that he isn't well-armed and well-armoured!

The next shots are a close-up of the peg on the Klicky's right-hand side, then one of his scabbard and sword attached. The Klicky's body has the same sort of hole in the side as is often used on police figures to allow clipping on a pistol holster. The same peg was used (I'm pretty sure, though I don't have the figure) on the Egyptian Pharaoh figures in sets 7382 - Pharaoh and 4244 - Egyptian Chariot to allow clipping on a quiver of arrows.

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
Re: 4746 Double Axe Knight Special
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 15:50:28 »

In that previous thread, Tonguello noted the orientation of the grip for the shield. Out of the package, the handle points up, which is indeed slightly odd. All the new shields seem to come this way. But I've found that you can turn the handle around with no problem, as shown in the next set of photos.

The handle is a bit stiff, and while I've always been concerned that it might break off when turning it, this has never happened so far (about 15-20 instances). Being able to change the orientation of the shield grip does allow some slightly different positions when posing the figure, but I'm not entirely convinced this is necessarily a dramatic improvement on older shields.

Offline kenc

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 15:51:59 »
Great Review, Andrew! It's a pity that there is again no heraldic axe sign on his chest/back, which however makes him great for customising. I used parts succesfully on the new lion (the yellow helmet axe) and eagle knights (the dark grey barbuta helmet).

Ken

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 16:06:06 »

And here he is in all his glory. This special is indeed impressive, in the sense that he makes a strong impression. I can't honestly say the impression he makes on me is an entirely good one, but there you go.

The blazon on his shield, as I already mentioned in that other thread, looks like a Klingon or Romulan badge, or perhaps from some other, similarly fantastic background. The same can be said of the pretty wacky looking yellow crest on his helmet. It doesn't really work very well in a realistic, medieval European setting, but he might not look to out of place among the Dragonland folk.

As Bolingbroke noted, his sword doesn't stay in the scabbard very well, and it is awkwardly placed for him to draw his sword. I've never cared for the big double-headed axe myself, but I guess it fits with the overall tenor of this set.

For me, the best bits are his armour and the peg on his right side. The moulding of his breastplate is very nice. While his armoured legs do seem slightly skinny (when compared to other Klickies), they look ok 'in the flesh' -- the Playmobil website picture makes them look awful.

As many others have said, I acquired several of these guys mainly to use various parts for customs, and I think many of the parts are quite useful. I wouldn't keep this guy just as he is out of the box, but then I don't think I leave any figure uncustomised. I'll post some pics of some of my efforts so far in another thread... (edit: here: http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=7351.0)

Anyway, there you go: I hope folks find this useful/informative.

Cheers,

AndrewL
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 17:42:15 by AndrewL »

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 16:11:33 »
Great Review, Andrew! It's a pity that there is again no heraldic axe sign on his chest/back, which however makes him great for customising. I used parts succesfully on the new lion (the yellow helmet axe) and eagle knights (the dark grey barbuta helmet).

Ken
Hi Ken,

Thanks! And I wasn't even done yet...

Not having his blazon printed on his back is, I think, a good thing, mainly because I think the blazon (at least the black axe-like symbol) looks silly. I think Playmobil also chose not to print on his back because his body armour extends pretty far down his back -- this would mean that any printing would have to be set far down as well. Having his body otherwise unadorned makes him much more useful for customs.

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 16:37:41 »
Though I may not totally like the elm ornamentation piece, I think this klicky rocks! Absolutely unique .
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 16:41:23 »

In that previous thread, Tonguello noted the orientation of the grip for the shield. Out of the package, the handle points up, which is indeed slightly odd. All the new shields seem to come this way. But I've found that you can turn the handle around with no problem, as shown in the next set of photos.

The handle is a bit stiff, and while I've always been concerned that it might break off when turning it, this has never happened so far (about 15-20 instances). Being able to change the orientation of the shield grip does allow some slightly different positions when posing the figure, but I'm not entirely convinced this is necessarily a dramatic improvement on older shields.

O WOW!!! that is great news!! Im trying it right now!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :yippee: :yippee:
thank you!!!
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 16:54:21 »
Cool ... By the picture, you can't tell the Pharaoh/Commander figure has that side clipping sys. I was surprized when you made the refference.

I don't have any of these yet ... I have no police guys ::)
That thing looks potencially interesting, but I dislike this hugely sheath :hmm: I'll use the common one, when I get a klicky with the clip.
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 16:57:55 »
I think the best part about this figure is are the legs. Dark silver armor guys!!!  :o That's a very useful part IMO.
The second best would be the shield, it's the first one in this shape that comes out in silver, the previous ones were yellow.
@Gustavo: what common sheath??
Cheers,
Arnaud
Life in the so called space age...

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 17:07:00 »
O WOW!!! that is great news!! Im trying it right now!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes it works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :yippee: :yippee:
thank you!!!

No problem. Glad I could help!

I think I might have seen someone mention on one of the German fora that the handle on the new shields could be turned -- this was when the new knights had just come out last September. Anyway, as soon as I got my hands on one of the new shields, I gave it a try and it seemed to work fine.

Cheers,

AndrewL