Author Topic: Kingdoms Map: Playmobil World Characteristics  (Read 2976 times)

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
Kingdoms Map: Playmobil World Characteristics
« on: March 03, 2011, 19:47:42 »
I have created this thread to deal with certain topics and ideas for the PlaymoFriends World Map.
Here we can discuss certain things that we may want to make world wide,
or add to parts of the world bigger than our own Kingdoms.

I would like to address two things,
1 is world climate,
and 2 is "local" animal life.

For climate I would like to discuss where on our world the "North" is
(though it may not specifically be north by our sense of direction)
and therefore, where it is hotter, and where it is cooler.
I would like to propose our world is a fairly cool one,
Maybe an average of 90*(F) at the "equator" (wherever that may be).

Assuming the average temperature at the equator on our world is 120*(F) (In the Summer time)
And Northern Canada's and Denmark's (and or other Northern realms)
average temperature during summer is 40*(F)
Then on our world, average summer temperatures at the northern realms would be 10*(F).

Sounds pretty cold. :P
Any thoughts?

As for local animal life,
I would just like to internationalize sheep and goats. :)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Kingdoms Map: Playmobil World Characteristics
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 23:01:29 »
I have been working under the assumption that North is at the top. My spot is at the bottom of the map so I've been thinking it would be temperate to subtropical depending on altitude etc. Mainly temperate type forests in the uplands with some tropical things like palms on the southern coast.
Weather patterns and ocean currents can have big effects in addition to latitude. Ocean currents along the North American west coast go south from Alaska towards Mexico. That makes the water colder than it would be if the currents ran the other direction. The water temperature then effects rainfall and so on.
So basically I think we can get away with pretty much whatever we want as long as we can come up with a rational explanation for it. Our peninsula is volcanic so I have hot springs and Martin has an active volcano. My southern port city has palm trees, and my northern one is deciduous forest atop high cliffs.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: Kingdoms Map: Playmobil World Characteristics
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 00:58:42 »
I have created this thread to deal with certain topics and ideas for the PlaymoFriends World Map.
Here we can discuss certain things that we may want to make world wide,
or add to parts of the world bigger than our own Kingdoms.

I would like to address two things,
1 is world climate,
and 2 is "local" animal life.

For climate I would like to discuss where on our world the "North" is
(though it may not specifically be north by our sense of direction)
and therefore, where it is hotter, and where it is cooler.
I would like to propose our world is a fairly cool one,
Maybe an average of 90*(F) at the "equator" (wherever that may be).

Assuming the average temperature at the equator on our world is 120*(F) (In the Summer time)
And Northern Canada's and Denmark's (and or other Northern realms)
average temperature during summer is 40*(F)
Then on our world, average summer temperatures at the northern realms would be 10*(F).

Sounds pretty cold. :P
Any thoughts?

As for local animal life,
I would just like to internationalize sheep and goats. :)

Sounds too cold for those Northern realms, they need some above freezing months to grow crops. Denmark's actual warmest month is July with a 24 hour average of 63F, and 32F in February.

A few more generalities on Sweethaven, the active volcano is approximately 3/4 of the way east from Tim's border, with three spurs running NE, SE and West a,long the spine of the peninsula. This forms three distinct climactic regions. The area East of the Volcano as far as the border with the unowned section is known as the Badlands, with volcanic ash forming patchy ash deserts, but abundant flora growth where the vocano has not spilled its bounty recently.

Domesticated food animals include sheep, goats, pigs and cattle, with horses, cats and dogs common as work animals and occasionally pets but not for food. Fauna include a mix of European and North American species, so badgers and racoons rub noses with cougars and hedgehogs. 

West and South of the Volcano is the richest area for agriculture, while to the North and West the land is more thicky wooded and sparsely populated, with the inhabitants relying more on hunting than agriculture for their food.

Trade goes on between Sweetwater and Salish in a jointly-ruled market town right on the border. There is a major port city called Britport on the north coast with trade routes to Rutileo and other nearby nations. The capital Greenhome is a port on the South coast.