Author Topic: 4240 Egyptian Pyramid  (Read 17709 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
4240 Egyptian Pyramid
« on: February 12, 2011, 12:08:00 »
Hi all!!!  :wave:

Since so many people are trying to decide whether this is a great set to have or not, and especially if they should get it or not, and finally, because it seems it will be, if not already, discontinued, I thought I'd give you a review...

So you already know front and back of the box...

BUT... did you also know that the front cardboard flips open, revealing the path inside the pyramid?  ;)

Well, this is the path that I am going to follow in order to show you around to what I think is one of the greatest latest sets Playmobil has produced!!!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: 4240 Egyptian Pyramid
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:19:28 »
Here is what you have once you assemble the pyramid...

First time putting it together is quite hard, as this is a particular clip system that actually recreates a maze inside the pyramid.... So basically, we have two big rectangular pieces as a base and the inside parts are cliped on it and inbetween them... finally there are four corner edged connectors that clip on the base and under the triangular cone Eye of Ra top!

There are three wall sections for the pyramid, I think playmobil could have included a fourth one, so that when a kid is not playing with it, the fourth wall can be put in place for decoration...

Each side has an 8-section Pharaoh carving and a small opening that is covered with a thin carved wall section... this provides easy look-into-the-chambers access without removing the whole wall...

...this is what the Pyramid looks like once all the wall sides are removed for easy playing!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:31:32 by Wolf Knight »

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:25:30 »
If three of the walls are removable, why not include the 4th wall ?
Still, you are right, that is an amazing set.
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:30:59 »
Let me introduce you to the Pharaoh, his High Priest, the pyramid guard and a common grave robber...

I like the Pharaoh's head cover, very nice design, and the Anubis head cover for the priest is very well designed too!! The teal armour of the guard is also unique to this set, and no other egyptian soldier has their armour painted like that.

So, let us show you around the pyramid... The Pharaoh will show you the main entrance of the tomb, which is decorated by amazing playmobil stickers!!! These are really fantastic... Playmobil has done a really great job with these stickers!!!

But hold on a minute... we don't want to be shown the easy way in... do we?

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 12:39:23 »
Before going through the side wall, here is one of the most neat little mechanisms playmobil has created: the Eye or Ra on an Ankh handle which is used as an opening key on teal triggers...

The Eye of Ra fits on the carving trigger and releases a piece of wall from its place....

.... or, as we'll see later, it can be used to trigger a trap  ;)....

If you watch the Playmobil Egyptian cd-rom, you'll see that this key is discovered by grave robbers in the 4246 Tomb with treasure set... Wild imagination...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 12:45:08 »
So, our ''friend'' is ready to use his key to get into the pyramid...

...and he manages to release the Pharaoh carvings from their place, thus revealing a narrow staircase...

... he decides to go up the stairs, having his torch lit, as, despite the fact that we have removed the wall to see better what happens in the pyramid, it can be really dark in there...he also draws his scimitar as he is not sure what he'll find out in there...

....AND THATS WHEN IT HAPPENS....

Poor guy, did not watch his step... the stairs went flat and he fell on his back....  ;D

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:12 »
Love your review. And thank you!! BTW, does the printing of your pharaoh get worn away easily? Mine does, and the lower stripes are missing. I am not complaining, as it looks more ancient ;)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 12:49:12 »
But our ''friend'' is a persistant fellow and crawls his way up the slippery stairs and finds himself on the upper floor inside the pyramid...

....which way now?

I guess down....  :lol: Poor chap, has stepped on another trap and slide down and out of the pyramid again...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 12:58:58 »
But his resilience knows no bounds... so he is crawling back up again...  :D

...Now what?....

And down he goes again....

He is trapped inside an airtight chamber...

But I am sure we are all curious to see what happens in there... Aren't we?

So from the teal button, we release the trigger and slide the side of the chamber open...

Oh no... he is surrounded by scorpions and snakes....  :0 :0

Sorry, can't leave him like that, I'll just put him back on the upper floor...  ;D

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 13:03:57 »
I've come to sympathise this guy... He is finally approaching the entrance of the chamber while admiring the beautiful sticker/paintings...

...and he is ready to go through the door...

Oh no... not another trap...

...Where did he go?