Author Topic: 4835 Great Dragon Castle  (Read 8226 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
4835 Great Dragon Castle
« on: February 03, 2011, 03:04:01 »
I haven't got a heft factor for this set as I can't balance it on my scales, but it costs $155

For better or for worse the castle uses the clip system, so once assembled it is difficult to take apart again. It can be lifted and carried as one piece, but try packing it away in the box and you will be tearing your hair out.

The resident dragon (ahem, wyvern) is the middle sized red variety, and a great improvement on the chicken dragon of infamy.

At the base of the castle is a dungeon with resident skeleton. The dungeon swings open for access, complete with the lower part of the staircase.

On the left a winged guard is standing in a niche. At the mid-level platform we encounter the first door into the tower, and a flat area which seems inviting until...

the trapdoor tips the unwary into the dungeon below. Playmobil love a trapdoor.

Back on the ground level there is a cave containing a big flame, and to the left a drop-down stalactite that is normally hidden inside the lower floor of the taller tower. I'd personally rather have another room, as there's precious little living space inside, but Playmo like putting in gadgets so that's what we have.

Here's the flamey-thing outside of the cave. It has five big blade thingies, and unusually for Playmo has an on-off button rather than a timer.

A view inside the main gate. It's very dark in there with no windows, so I had to use flash.

There are two towertops, with no stair or ladder access. They're also too small for the strange vertically traversing crossbow...

nor does it fit on the next level without blocking the door...

and on the lower level it blocks the trapdoor.

The tower has four human denizens, the first two being a leader and an archer. The leader has bright red y-fronts to go with his red cloak, while the archer is more restrained with bright red boots.

and the twin guards with possibly the coolest shield design ever. 

Eye of Sauron, anyone?

So there it is. The main gate is accessible only via an irregular scramble over rocks between the towers, the towertops are inaccessible from anywhere (unless you can fly), there are two small rooms behind doors, and a dungeon. It's not really a castle, more a couple of towers with an extension. Nonetheless I like this structure for its play value, and unusual design.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
Re: 4835 Great Dragon Castle
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:08:05 »
Thanks for this review and the very good pictures!!! The stone wall is still my major concern as it looks plasticish. But overall a very good set!!! I have swapped the ugly red crystal ball with the red/black ox horn and they now look perfect!!! And pardon me to ask, what is the huge structure standing in the right side of the background?? Is it some hill prepared for the dragon warrior?

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:09:36 »
One suggestion ;D
You can weigh yourself first, and hold the castle with your during you second weigh-in. And you will yield the weight deducting your weight. :-[

Offline Clong

• playmo emt
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:10:32 »
great review. love the knights  ;D

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:03 »
One suggestion ;D
You can weigh yourself first, and hold the castle with your during your second weigh-in. And you will yield the weight deducting your weight. :-[

That's a great idea, just don't go to the bathroom in between weigh ins'! ;)
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:13:32 »
 :giggle:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:14:31 »
And pardon me to ask, what is the huge structure standing in the right side of the background?? Is it some hill prepared for the dragon warrior?

Cat Tree.

I use postal scales to measure in grammes for most sets, I could get a round measure using your method but only in pounds!

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:14:47 »
That's a great idea, just don't go to the bathroom in between weights! ;)
HAHAHA...brilliant!!

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:15:34 »
Cat Tree.

I use postal scales to measure in grammes for most sets, I could get a round measure using your method but only in pounds!
I see. A cat tree....I have never seen one in real-life!!!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:49:16 »