Author Topic: 3170 dino expedition  (Read 6027 times)

Offline tlc

• Playmo Pal
3170 dino expedition
« on: January 28, 2011, 14:00:19 »

This set was last released in 2003, so it's not new to most people.  However, until recently, the set was listed on the U.S. playmobil site even though it never seemed in stock for purchase.

As I wasn't familiar with the playmo lines prior to 2009, the snowscape struck me as different than any set that I had seen from playmobil.  So, thinking that it might be fun, I signed up for email notification if it ever became available.  Around last November, they must have cleaned out the warehouse and found a couple of this set.  I bought it for Christmas.

What a fun cold-weather set for the kids!  We've had lots of snow days (not to mention a white Christmas!) in Atlanta, USA this year. So, this set has had extra appeal.

The accessories are different from anything else the kids get to play with such as a ICE!, grappling hook, chainsaw, video camera, snowshoes, snow poles, boots and puffy coats and hats.  Oh, and the good-sized dinosaur (allosaurus?) can be posed (arms, legs, and open/close mouth); can hold many of the accessories;  can eat the explorers (or at least their limbs) and/or the other accessories (many actually fit into its open mouth).  BONUS!

Alas, after many threatening assaults, the dino invariably becomes sweet and friendly and simply wishes to engage the explorers in a foot race.  After a good sleep, however, the terror returns.  Rinse and repeat.

tlc

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: 3170 dino expedition
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 14:15:21 »
"rinse and repeat"

That's really cute! Kind of sums up what's so great about playmobil -- it never gets old!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 17:32:06 »
I love that set, and I don't even have it :)

I got all the (current) dino sets last year, and the tropical setting is really cool -however the Dino Expedition sets are the start of the story of this theme to me (like Jurassic park, first the discovery, then they build the park)

may I ask how much it cost you? :)
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 17:40:04 »
Excellent set! Thank you for bringing this set to everyone's attention again! :thanks:
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 17:41:39 »
I really want to get my hands on this set too  ;D

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 18:17:09 »
It's a great set :D

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 20:39:49 »
Yeah, I really love this, too, but I don't have it. I do have the one with the dino skeleton and the huge ice field. It's really great. My polar bears love it.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline tlc

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 21:10:30 »
may I ask how much it cost you? :)

Sure.  Just checked my records and it was $18.99 from US playmobil site.  But in attempting to retrieve a picture of this set from the site today, I noticed that it had been removed.  I think it is safe to assume that they don't have anymore left.  Sorry.

tlc

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 22:07:36 »
Thanks for posting this,   :thanks: it really is a great set.
I've got part of it, but not the dinosaur yet  :'(
I can see why Tim likes it so much - because of his avatar I've always thought it to be a friendly smiling dinosaur!

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 13:09:28 »
Wonderful set!!! The themes with ice and snow are so cool  :love:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil!