Author Topic: need help with my Yamayoshi's Nobori  (Read 3290 times)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
need help with my Yamayoshi's Nobori
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:36:04 »
a little history first;

the Nobori was a long and narrow banner (held permanently open with a cross-rod)
commonly used during the Senggoku period (1568-1615 AD), primarily denoting units within an army but was also used in large numbers to make an impressive display to intimidate their enemies

can anyone help me find a playmo-part to hold the white 'cloth' streamers underneath the flag? (usually tied to a loop to catch the wind)

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
Re: need help with my Yamayoshi's Nobori
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:09:48 »
Looks very good.

I don't have a part you could use for something that big.  My suggestion would be to use the white elasticy-materialy ties/bands that they use sometimes instead of elastic bands to hold parts together in the box.  It is Playmobil and it will look realistic.

My other recommendation would be to just not both with that (as in your picture you show last).

My commendations to you to have the sword the right way.  As a practioner of Kendo and Iaido I know all too well how people seem to think the blade goes the other way or don't care at all how the blade is worn.  Now, in early period times when the swords were longer and most fighting was done on horseback, the sword was worn blade downward.

You can read a bit more about it here:

http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php/15649-katana-and-armor.?s=0851c0c0515bcc58d7035f456fd04b10

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:16:06 »
Looks very good. thanks WM!

...My suggestion would be to use the white elasticy-materialy ties/bands that they use sometimes instead of elastic bands to hold parts together in the box.  It is Playmobil and it will look realistic. good idea, I too avoid putting non-PM-looking parts on my customs

My other recommendation would be to just not both with that (as in your picture you show last). but ever ready to use any suitable PM clip should one come along one day  ;D

My commendations to you to have the sword the right way.  As a practioner of Kendo and Iaido I know all too well how people seem to think the blade goes the other way or don't care at all how the blade is worn.  Now, in early period times when the swords were longer and most fighting was done on horseback, the sword was worn blade downward.
but mine is an ashigaru(foot-soldier)

You can read a bit more about it here:
http://www.kendo-world.com/forum/showthread.php/15649-katana-and-armor.?s=0851c0c0515bcc58d7035f456fd04b10
thanks again WM....its still an open discussion  ;) I've attached the this kendo-world's forum masthead and a drawing of a mounted samurai

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:12:45 »
I can’t remember the set it came from, but somewhere in the Knights Theme there was a handkerchief or something like that that might fit your needs…
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:34:20 »
I can’t remember the set it came from, but somewhere in the Knights Theme there was a handkerchief or something like that that might fit your needs…

thanks Andy...a little treasure hunt over the new year for me?  :xmascheer:
ok! and I hope there's some way to attach them permanently

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:38:24 »

Yes, he is doing 'noto' - resheathing of the sword and that would be Eishin Ryu style.  I train in MusoShinden Ryu - we do noto with the blade sideways (so we use longer swords - and a longer sword allows a greater distance between you and opponent - but the blade is always worn with the edge of the blade facing up.

This is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsTWfMjI0ls

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 03:00:57 »
thanks WM! I must watch how Sasaki Kojirō resheath his double-handed extra long katana in 'duel at Ganryu Island'....do you knwo whether the duel really happed on just stories?

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 05:55:27 »
thanks WM! I must watch how Sasaki Kojirō resheath his double-handed extra long katana in 'duel at Ganryu Island'....do you knwo whether the duel really happed on just stories?

Yes, it really happened - with Miyamoto Musashi.  Musashi realised that due to the opponents blade length he needed something that would make it more fair or he was just a target at a long distance - too long for his blade to reach.  So, he whittled down an oar a bit to make it more wieldable (is that a word?  well, it is now) and used the oar and won.

There is an excellent book by Eiji Yoshikawa on the life of Musashi entitled, appropriately enough, 'Musashi'.  It's written like a fictional story but is historically accurate.  If you can get your hands on it (the library should have it) then by all means take the time and read it.  It was orginally published in 1935 and comprises seven books.  The English edition is 900+ pages.  It's a good read and an entertaining and fun read.  You are obviously already familiar with some of the movies made about the life of Musashi.

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 10:24:00 »
thanks again WM! since both musashi & kojiro were real  :P I'll definitely think about customisng them....but downsizing a PM oar would be a sin and lenthening a katana would be quite impossible for me.  ::)

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 12:10:30 »
Hi!
From what I remember from an ancient painting, the double-handed katanas with the extra-long blade had no sheath. Same for the medieval double-handed swords, you cannot carry it in a hip-sheath: it would rattle on the ground and you wouldn't be able to unsheath it the blade is so long.
 :)
Arnaud
Life in the so called space age...