Author Topic: Children's Zoo 4851  (Read 6586 times)

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
Children's Zoo 4851
« on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:19 »
I picked up the new zoo sets at Toys R Us recently. I'm not sure why they got these new zoo sets so early compared to the rest of the US. The playmobil website doesn't even have them. I got this one for free during a buy two get one free deal, so I can't complain about the price!  ;D I think it was about $35. There are some things I really like and others I really dislike about this set. Overall I find it more visually appealing than the previous petting zoo, but it has some problems for me. I like the new fence with posts for birds (and a grip area for larger bird claws) and two have a plug for some flowers by the base. To start here is an overview shot with lots of birds, the figures, and the larger animals for petting.

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Children's Zoo 4851
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 05:08:37 »
I find it strange that there is no gate. Once you set up your enclosure the zoo visitors would have to walk through the pond to enter the petting zoo. I also find it hard to accept that the pond would be enough to keep the animals from wandering off. I really like the pond and stream sections, especially the little tree stumps.

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:13:15 »
I was surprised by some of the child figures. First, I have never seen sandals molded on the feet like this before. I really like it. Second, I'm not so sure I like this new hairstyle for the boys (I'm assuming he's a boy, since we have seen new girl styles already in the zoo and the pony tail is popping up more too). I'm calling it Justin Bieber hair!!!  :lol:

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:18:55 »
Now for the part I really hate. This has to be the ugliest building playmobil has made in a long time. The structure uses the same fence structure used in the animal clinic, but this time in red. These pieces only look good from one side, and the directions have you put the good side of the large one to the back as my pictures depict. I have since changed it around. the roof is also ugly with the back side being flat with system x holes, but if we aren't supposed to look at that side, then why put the good side of the wall piece back there? There is a weird structure added to build up one side of the roof too. Very ugly indeed.  :(

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:22:51 »
My favorite thing about this set is the waterfall, stream, pond section. It is really very pretty. I popped off the bird feeder and wheel and added some other rocks and trees and it looks really good as part of a forest scene. It will go very well with my fishermen's cabin. As you can see in the picture, however, the gray is not the same as the light gray rockies system, but it still looks nice. Overall I like the set and it was worth the price for me. The only part I didn't like was the structure, but even that is currently being used in my Christmas Nativity/Attack of the Santa Clones display. So even it served a purpose.  ;D

Offline rufusxavier1977

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:40:09 »
Justin Bieber!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:30:14 »
Wow thanks for this great review :elf:

Those new klicky kids look weird, and that building sure is horrible :-\

But I love what you did with the stream - it looks great 8-)

Took me ages to work out how you got that pic of Justin Bieber :lol:

Damo :rudy:

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:45 »
Thanks for the great review!! It was already on our list...but seeing the stream upclose makes it irrisitable :-)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:51:43 »
Nice to see you hear again, rufus!,  :wave: and thank you for a great review.  That structure really is terrible!  Goodness knows what Playmobil were thinking of.  

Strange the set should appear in the US as it's shown as "new" on the German Playmobil site.

The stream and waterfall are great additions and the difference between the grey rocks of the stream and the previous ones isn't a problem, just different geology!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 10:31:45 »
Thank you for the lovely review and pictures!!! Truly this is a great set!!!