Author Topic: DD's new design for PF's home page!  (Read 3183 times)

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
DD's new design for PF's home page!
« on: March 04, 2006, 13:04:40 »
As many of you are aware, the current home page for the forum is quite minimalist and not particularly inspiring...

http://www.playmofriends.com/

Admittedly, it was put together rather quickly, and the plan was to do something more creative with it once the forum was better established. ;)

During some discussion in a topic about Photo Competitions, deadeye dick suggested we could make the page look more exciting (and perhaps tempt more new people to join ;)) by displaying pictures submitted by the members. Rather than show static images based on the results of contests or polls, DD came up with a much friendlier idea of having a rotation system which would allow ALL the members the same opportunity to showcase their pictures.

There are many different styles of rotation script available. Some rotate pictures automatically like a slide show; others show a random pic each time the page is refreshed/reloaded, which means that any person visiting the page would possibly see a different image each time they return.

After many weeks and a lot of work by DD, I am ready to show you the wonderful new page he has created for the forum! :D

http://www.playmofriends.com/index2.html

(in order to see how the pics are being rotated randomly, you will need to reload the page once or twice)

The design has been successfully tested on systems running Windows with Firefox, Internet Explorer and Netscape. (According to stats, these groups account for the majority of users visiting PlaymoFriends.) It is very difficult to design pages with dynamic content that will look perfect on every system, and for people running Safari on a Mac, there may be problems with alignment where the text and images do not display exactly in the correct position. I'm not sure how the page appears with other browsers on a Mac, so would be interested to know if this is only an issue for Safari users. (Please see the attachment, pf_homepage.jpg, which shows how the content should be aligned with the rotating image centred inside the white panel).

The photos currently being rotated are ones that I randomly selected from various topics around the forum. These are just to give an example of how the script works and will be removed before the page goes completely "live".

The idea is for all the pictures being shown in the rotation to also be stored in the Members' Gallery area of the Photo Album, so that anyone clicking the image on the home page can find a larger version of it if they want to. It was decided to link to that area rather than a dedicated topic, because this is the only area of the forum where unregistered guests are able to view images that aren't being hosted on external websites.

To this end, I invite EVERYONE who wants to share a picture with people visiting the home page, to upload them to the Members' Gallery. This is a communal album, so the only step required is to upload your picture(s) and place them in the correct area. If you need instructions on this, please read the tutorial. If you have already made a personal album, please remember to select the correct album titled "Members' Gallery" using the drop-down menu when you reach that step. (see gallery1.jpg)

Also, please do include your name (and your own website, if you have one) in the "description" area of the form, so you can receive due credit for the picture. (see gallery2.jpg) This will also make it easier for me to select pics for the rotation. I don't think that one person should be allowed to have more pics showing in the rotation than another, and I will need to know who submitted what in order to make a fair choice.

A very big thank you goes to deadeye dick :*) for lending his time and coding skills in order to create a more fitting introduction page for our forum!
I'm sure he is as eager as I am for feedback on the new look page. :)

PS. Would the member who uploaded their pics from the Zirndorf FunPark to this communal album a couple of weeks ago, please contact me as I need to know if you would like them moved to a private album or if you are happy for them to stay where they are. Thanks!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: DD's new design for PF's home page!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 14:47:39 »
DD's done a great job here - thank you, DD! :)

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline deadeye dick

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Capt'n of the Punisher
    • Deadeye Dick's
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 17:08:36 »
Sylvia, it was nice working togehter on this idea  :wow:...
We know that this isn't 100% perfect, but it's already a good start.
So, we would like to invite people with the right (web) skills to further develop this initiative  :)9
And maybe we will succeed in making it MAC safari compliant.
To be honest: it's a long time ago that I had been scripting (read: borrow scripts from other web sites  >:D), but now I found the right objective to take it up again  ;)

Regards,

DD.
Check out Deadeye Dick's hideout @ www.deadeye.be

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 18:30:21 »
 That's a good idea, I have just visited it  and it works fine for me, I'm sure people visiting will find the images interesting.  :)
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 21:11:38 »
That looks wonderful! Thanks DD and Sylvia.  :)9

He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Jettix2

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 22:12:50 »
Very cool.  I like it.........:) 

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 17:32:04 »
This sounds like a good idea!!  :D

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 12:05:08 »
The new home page is now online. :D

I've decided to change the future upload process for pics to be used in the rotation system, because I think it's a little too complicated at present. 8}

Instead of asking people to upload them directly to the Members' Gallery, I will post a  topic in one of the "Gallery" boards where the images can be attached to posts. This will make it easier to identify who submitted what without relying on people to include their names with the pics.

I will still upload the images that are provided for rotation to the communal Photo Album (giving a linked credit to each member as you see on the current page I have created) so that unregistered guests can view them at their original sizes. :)

This method will also give me the opportunity to 'bump' the topic whenever new pics are needed to freshen the home page, because it seems a little too easy for members to forget that the Photo Album area even exists, let alone to regularly submit pictures there. ;)