Author Topic: 4873 - Falcon Knight and Squire  (Read 8051 times)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
4873 - Falcon Knight and Squire
« on: September 13, 2010, 01:47:12 »
So when I walked into the toyshop last Saturday I was crossing my fingers!! I was lucky the new knights were in, I couldn’t resist and got the 4873. I am planning to use the Falcon Coat of Arms for the biggest (human) city in the Nentir Vale, so yeah I just had to get some!

While looking at the back of the Falcon castle box I think it looks like the castle is done in pieces. This could mean that it might be suitable for customizing. Has anyone already bought and assembled a castle…I really want to know. But I am optimistic at the moment.

On to the review of 4873, here is the box front:

I really like the scene; the mountains in the back, the lake, the dark forest and the moon really give it an ominous feeling, which suits these knights very well.

Here is a picture of the box back:

For some reason I always find it annoying when they have one of the weapons in the hand of a klicky. Either showcase them all separately or put them all in the klickies hands but this half/half business annoys me. Other than that it is a fair representation of what’s inside 

Lets open this thing up!

Inside we find: two bags, instructions and a new booklet with the castle on the cover.  Let’s not suffocate them.

Here we see all the separate pieces. I have an extra one of those annoying sword holder thingies. Lets take a closer look what’s in the set:

It features a Grey/Black horse. I really like this colour combination. It’s going to be covered anyway so the horse cannot be ALL black and this still has that dark edge! The horsecoat is great as it features the new crest and I am very impressed with the heraldry on the new sets! The head cover is all black which is great so it can be used with 4841. And there is also a saddle in leather brown which makes it very realistic.

The shields are very nice and I like that there are already four different designs available at this point. Great for custom armies I say!!! I am not very impressed with the new wide open helmet for some reason it just doesn’t to it for me. The closed helmet included in this set is on I really like and I will want a ton of these for various custom jobs. The arm greaves are also of new design (AFAIK) and the shoulder spikes are a very nice detail.

The klickies themselves are really nice IMO. The squire has the falconhead on his torso and has nice dark grey armoured arms. These have only been available in two sets so far. One of which is the take a long shield/sword set. So having him in such a useful set is really great! He also has a dark chainmail collar which is also very useful IMO.The Knight is really a very generic black knight, on the one hand this is great on the other hand I think it would have been nice to get some sort of printing on him. His plate armour is the same as the 3315 famous knight as are his legs. However there is no printing on the black part so these ones are much more suitable for customizing. These legs only have been in that same take along shield/sword set so it’s great to have easier access to them. What I don’t like about the knight figure is the fact that his torse is dark grey instead of black because that way the torso and legs don’t blend as well. Overall I think he’s a great klicky with lots of useful parts! Both klickies have a belt for the clip on sword holders, I like the other ones better but have had much trouble with them falling of yet.

The weapons are also great: Two great swords, a double axe and a big axe, all in dark grey. I know “someone” was waiting for these swords.

Here is a picture of them fully dressed and ready for action!

I really like this set a lot and I am sure this will not be the only one I buy!

Thanks for reading!

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
Re: 4873 - Falcon Knight and Squire
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:18:24 »
Wow very nice set Gis!  :knight: I like it very much!  ;D

B-W  :wave:
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 02:23:33 »
Very great review, and I love the dark feeling it gives me~~~~  :wave: :wave:

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:27:54 »
Lovely! :love: Me wants black swords! 8}

:wave:

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 05:10:11 »
HI

Great review, thanks. That new armor design looks great, I will be sure to stock up on this little set. The only thing I do not like is the use of the eyes, easy fix.

Thanks again  :wow:

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 05:12:49 »
Thanks for a great review Gis!

I agree I prefer the one-piece belts, but with the big swords the belt-plus-clip generally makes a better fit.

It feels like the arms are on the wrong klickes - the knight should not have his hands so exposed to cuts and blows. I'd switch the arms over, and possibly leave the armor off the squire's arms, and use them for a different figure. I agree the use of black arms and legs but grey body on the knight looks odd. Very nice helmet though.

What's up with the squire's eyes? He looks like he's been playing with his mum's mascara. I don't like his helmet much either, it's way too wide open. It might just work for an artillery man, but not someone likely to have blows aimed at his face.

I love the Falcon heraldry, a vast, enormous, huge improvement on the dreadful awful cringeworthy Empire Lion head.

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 05:27:20 »
Thanks for a great review Gis!

I agree I prefer the one-piece belts, but with the big swords the belt-plus-clip generally makes a better fit.

It feels like the arms are on the wrong klickes - the knight should not have his hands so exposed to cuts and blows. I'd switch the arms over, and possibly leave the armor off the squire's arms, and use them for a different figure. I agree the use of black arms and legs but grey body on the knight looks odd. Very nice helmet though.

What's up with the squire's eyes? He looks like he's been playing with his mum's mascara. I don't like his helmet much either, it's way too wide open. It might just work for an artillery man, but not someone likely to have blows aimed at his face.

I love the Falcon heraldry, a vast, enormous, huge improvement on the dreadful awful cringeworthy Empire Lion head.
Would it be better if they make one falcon crest for the helmet?? I love the griffon ones and this new lion!! I wanna ask all you experts, in what situation did these knights have crest one their helmet??? Historically

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 05:54:19 »
This is really really really nice!!!  :love: :love: :love: I can't wait ot get my hands in these sets... Thanks for the review and the great pictures Gis! I was wandering about those arm greaves...If they were two pieces, shoulder and bracer, but I ma glad to know that it is one!!! Love the dark colour on them!!!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 07:14:20 »
A very interesting set. I hate the squire's helmet, the squire's eyes, the half armour on the knight, the molded armor on the squier and both belt holders. Apart from that, it's a great set  ;D

Were any of the klickies loose at the hips, Gis? Thanks for the review - you should've bought all the sets though - I'm curious about the rest  ;D

I'll be going to the local Bart Smith this morning to see if they have any - the PM shop at the departures area of the Malta airport had yet to stock any - the SHAME!  >:D >:D >:D

Hopefully they still have some of the crusader specials which I can't find in Malta anymore.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:00 »
A very interesting set. I hate the squire's helmet, the squire's eyes, the half armour on the knight, the molded armor on the squier and both belt holders. Apart from that, it's a great set  ;D

Were any of the klickies loose at the hips, Gis? Thanks for the review - you should've bought all the sets though - I'm curious about the rest  ;D

I'll be going to the local Bart Smith this morning to see if they have any - the PM shop at the departures area of the Malta airport had yet to stock any - the SHAME!  >:D >:D >:D

Hopefully they still have some of the crusader specials which I can't find in Malta anymore.
Which one are you looking for?? Crusaders are like the least purcahsed items here,,,