Author Topic: 4846: Treasure Robber's Crawler  (Read 6276 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
4846: Treasure Robber's Crawler
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:57:05 »

Box Front

The 4846 set (currently $21.99 at TRU) comprises one klicky and a tracked vehicle with rear-mounted tow winch, grapnel/rocket launcher, and storage space.

Box Back

The driver has the moulded body previously used in the Police theme, and carries a sidearm in holster. The face features stubble and an eyepatch, often used to indicate baddies, and the TRU website describes this as a Treasure Robber's Crawler.

The klicky lacks the diamond logo seen on most other klickies in this series, which makes me wonder where he fits in. Is he a rival, a sub-contractor, or did he just put on a different jacket today? Are there one group of Treasure Hunters and another group intending to steal the treasure once found?

Bolt-action rifle, flashlight, walkie talkie, GPS unit, machete, radio headset, and a large blue bucket. This klicky is ready for many contingencies including car sickness.

The winch clips onto the rear of the vehicle with two system X clips which were pre-installed, but the winch itself requires assembly. It locks closed, and I had great difficulty opening it again for use, eventually inserting a knife blade into the gap to pop it open and turn the spindle. This may loosen up with use.

The four slots in the back of the vehicle can be used to store rockets, grapnel, rifle and machete.

The smaller accessories fit neatly in the blue bucket when not in use, and the bucket fits snugly between the other stored pieces.

The rocket/grapnel launcher clips onto the rollcage wvia an intermediate clip, providing a degree of horizontal and vertical traverse. The clip may be attached in several different places.

All loaded up and ready to go.

The rear compartment is at just the right level to act as a platform for a klicky riding shotgun, as Ginger is demonstrating here, a great design touch.

Overall I like this set much more than I expected to. The vehicle could be used in a number of different rescue scenarios and themes. The grapnel launcher at first seemed a bit bulky and oversized but I soon got used to it, and it can easily be left off if it doesn't suit your needs. The orange rollbars and roller mountings make sense if you take this to be a rescue vehicle where visibility is a desirable attribute.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: 4846: Treasure Robber's Crawler
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 05:17:49 »
It reminds me of a Cobra Hiss Tank (see attached photo) but looks really great!! Thanks Martin for another wonderfull review!!!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:01 »
Hi

Great review of a weird item. The orange roll bars and cat mounts is fine for a rescue machine but this is a robbers escape vehicle. It should have been a less obvious color. I think I will paint one and see what it looks like. I do not like the system X winch mount either.

Thanks for the new pictures

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:58:45 »

Bolt-action rifle, flashlight, walkie talkie, GPS unit, machete, radio headset, and a large blue bucket. This klicky is ready for many contingencies including car sickness.

:lol:

The winch clips onto the rear of the vehicle with two system X clips which were pre-installed, but the winch itself requires assembly. It locks closed, and I had great difficulty opening it again for use, eventually inserting a knife blade into the gap to pop it open and turn the spindle. This may loosen up with use.

The same design is used with the 4821 fire engine and that operated easily enough from the start on my 4821s, so it may be that the one you got is just stiff and will loosen up as you suggest.

The rocket/grapnel launcher clips onto the rollcage wvia an intermediate clip, providing a degree of horizontal and vertical traverse. The clip may be attached in several different places.

That intermediate clip could be useful for customs.  Fitted to a horizontal rail and with one of the Western fort connectors attached to it, it provides a means of attaching accessories vertically to a horizontal rail.

Thanks for a useful and well-illustrated review, Martin.  It's not an item for my shopping list, but I'm sure it will be popular, and that intermediate clip is interesting.  In the temporary absence of playmoDB because of a bandwidth excess, pleas would you post the part number for it?  Thank you.   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:31:22 »
Great review Martin. It's great to see this in action, love the idea of someone riding shotgun.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 15:49:15 »
Hi

Great review of a weird item. The orange roll bars and cat mounts is fine for a rescue machine but this is a robbers escape vehicle. It should have been a less obvious color. I think I will paint one and see what it looks like. I do not like the system X winch mount either.

Thanks for the new pictures

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

I agree, orange would not have been my first or even second choice, I'd have gone for black or silver as being both more common in the real world and more likely. I wouldn't worry about being spotted in this vehicle though, if it's chugging though deep jungle you'll hear it long before you see it. Orange just passes muster, and don't worry, there is worse to come in the next review!

Gordon - the clip is part 30 03 0720

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 18:38:45 »

Gordon - the clip is part 30 03 0720

Thanks, Martin, it's on my next DS order.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 21:07:56 »
great review martin  :)  yes ras weird set indeed  ??? ???
The spirits rule !!!!

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 22:18:38 »
Great review Martin! This vehicle is very nice!  :) I need to get me one too!  ;D

Baden  :wave:
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 16:29:56 »
Great review Martin!