Author Topic: 4732 Conquistador special  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
4732 Conquistador special
« on: July 24, 2010, 22:29:48 »
This week a bought 4732. It was only available since this month and I was itching to get my hands on it.

I was a little bit disappointed by the helmet. It is quite different from the classic conquistador helmet like this:

Otherwise a nice special. Like the stripy clothes. There was a packing error though, there were 3 gloves in it.

Are there going to be more of these, as there is already the 2 conquistadors in rowboat with treasure-set? Maybe some Inca of Aztek in the future?

The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
Re: 4732 Conquistador special
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 03:34:50 »
This one is kind of meh, agree to what you said, it would be better if the helmet could improve and reflect the real one. So, now without the special helmet, this kilcky is not special enough IMO

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 05:48:14 »
Thanks for the review, Ali.  Despite the reservations expressed about the helmet, I think it's a close approximation to the conquistador one and overall a nice figure.  Looking at that conquistador helmet, I think it would be a difficult and, therefore, expensive item to produce and so is just uneconomical.  I wonder, too, if there was more than one pattern of helmet used by the conquistadors - the fancy one used by the officers and a simpler version used by the common soldiers.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:28:15 »
Thanks for the review Ali Baba - I haven't seen this one yet, but I don't think it is that exciting :-\

Damo :)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:30:18 »
Hi,

Nice review of a nice special.

I agree with the point about the helmet: it does seem odd ,especially when Playmobil have now produced a helmet much more like the 'classic' morion:

30 28 1080 - Helmet, morion (Spanish)

or

30 29 6830 - Helmet, morion (Spanish)

But then perhaps playmofire is right: this special is a regular soldier, and the coxcomb morion was meant for officers. In any event, it should be possible to get the coxcomb morion from DS.

Also, the helmet this special wears (a 'cabasset') was fairly common in the 16th century, so from an historical perspective, it does still work.

Anyway, it's really good to see this guy close up -- thanks Ali! I knew I wanted to get several of this guy, and your review has definitely confirmed that!

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:56:38 »
Oh wow!!! Great review of another great klicky Ali!!! Thank you!!!

I am also waiting this from the same seller I got the mongolian warrior!!! So waiting for them both to arrive!!!

Offline potosky72

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 09:01:59 »
May be there were more helmes tipus in spanish army in this age.
More exemples from our mate halcon28 http://www.playclicks.com/playforos/index.php?topic=29192.0

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 10:02:13 »
Those are very impressive.  I like the full length pikes.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Ali Baba

• prince of Oonowezu
  • Playmo Addict
  • Just say the magic word!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 11:34:27 »
Exactly, AndrewL! That is why I was expecting a more classic helmet for this special. They already have the mold for it! Strange choice.

Very nice work by Halcon28!!
The hottest babe is:

3645 Family Yacht Woman

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 15:45:58 »
At first look the helmet does seem a strange choice when they have a better Morion available. However the Conquistadors were more of a voluntary militia than an organised army, and they had to supply their own materials, weapons and horses. This suggests a lack of uniformity is quite acceptable, especially in the early settlers and explorers, so his armor and weapons are probably quite suitable.

I'm wondering how common red hair is in Spanish and Portuguese nations.

I like his striped arms and legs, and the use of a "big belly" swordbelt to go over his armor, they may have picked up that idea from various customisers on the internet.

I'll be getting several of these to add to my Spanish units, and hoping for some Incan and Aztec warriors, or better a full theme.