Author Topic: 4044 - Asphalt Cutter  (Read 7119 times)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
4044 - Asphalt Cutter
« on: June 07, 2010, 16:06:49 »
Now I have always thought of this as a wierd one.

I can just imagine an excited child looking along the shelves of the toy shop:

"A big digger!" :confetti:

"A Steam Roller!" :confetti:

"A what the hell is that?!" :hmm:

Firstly, the box images. My box is quite crumpled as the stupid ebay seller just sent it in a postal bag with no protection :(

Front of box:

Rear of box:

A couple of action shots:

The exciting features of the road system: ::)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
Re: 4044 - Asphalt Cutter
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 16:20:42 »
Opening the box:

Luckily, what I have noticed is that the road sections in these sets arrive in an unsealed, thicker than usual bag to stop any scratching which is very good.

The Klicky, not very exciting but a bit different I suppose

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 16:38:44 »
To be honest I have never actually looked at this set properly, only seeing catalogue images. But I decided it must be bought as it is part of the theme and comes with another section of road, which this time comes with some greenery, attached by 2 yellow System X connectors.

The orange flasing lights on the wasimijigs seem to be of a more translucent and brighter orange than the older opaque ones which now give a better look.

The ashpalt cutter (more commonly known as a concrete saw here in the UK) certainly took me by suprise, and to be honest, making this set one of the most brilliant little Playmobil sets I have ever bought.

It was quikly built by inserting the engine piece, and sticking on the stickers. In catalogue/box images, I thought the saw looked way out of scale, and silly, but it turns out that it is of good proportions.

Now for the exciting part. The back axle is attached to a gear, which is subsiquently attached to a smaller one, and then to another attahched to the cutting disk. This combination provides an effortless glide, with the blade spinning much faster than the wheels due to the gear sizes. The small wheel at the front makes sure that the blade doesn't come too close with the surface so that there is no chance of damage.

There is also a hooking point on the top of the engine so that it can be lifted by crane, or loaded onto the back of the Unimog using it's Hiab.

In comparision to the real thing, I think Playmobil have done well considering they had to make it exciting by making the cutting disc actually spin:

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 16:42:13 »
So in conclusion, a great set for the construction collector (not really sure it would excite anyone else!) although my first suspisions when it came out have come correct, and the set is no longer being produced (obviously there were not enough hardcore construction collectors out there) and I would be very suprised if a child chose this set over any other.

Thanks for reading
Damo ;)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 16:45:47 »
Another great review Damo! How many pieces of road are you aiming on getting...or will that fully depend on the availablitiy from DS?

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 16:49:18 »
Another great review Damo! How many pieces of road are you aiming on getting...or will that fully depend on the availablitiy from DS?

Thanks, Gis!

It is only possible to get three sections plus a ramp one that you dig up just buying one of each of the sets in the range, but I might try to order some from DS depending on how much they are :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 17:00:36 »
Thanks, Damo, for the review.  My construction is small but will be added to thanks to your review.   :wow:

As you say, it's an unusual item to produce, but that's the sort of thing Playmobil do - produce the unusual.  Remember the traffic warden?  And the portaloo?

The orange warning lights are, indeed, an improvement on the original version being translucent.

The idea of gearing the cutter to the back wheels is a stroke of genius.

I saw one in the toyshop this morning when I bought the road sweeper.  Tomorrow it will be mine!!!!!!!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 17:48:20 »
Thanks, Damo, for the review.  My construction is small but will be added to thanks to your review.   :wow:

As you say, it's an unusual item to produce, but that's the sort of thing Playmobil do - produce the unusual.  Remember the traffic warden?  And the portaloo?

The orange warning lights are, indeed, an improvement on the original version being translucent.

The idea of gearing the cutter to the back wheels is a stroke of genius.

I saw one in the toyshop this morning when I bought the road sweeper.  Tomorrow it will be mine!!!!!!!

Personally I think this set beats the traffic warden and portaloo, as children could relate to them, and easily recognise them, but I doubt very much that an 8/9 year old would know exactly what this machine is.

At this rate you will have purchased nearly the whole construction range! :lol: Although luckily it is the last one of my reviews from this range so your pocket can breathe a sigh of relief (for the moment) ;D

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 17:55:06 »

At this rate you will have purchased nearly the whole construction range! :lol: Although luckily it is the last one of my reviews from this range so your pocket can breathe a sigh of relief (for the moment) ;D

If Diane discovers them I shall tell her that I bought them to send to you and only opened them to do the review.!   ;D
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 17:56:46 »
If Diane discovers them I shall tell her that I bought them to send to you and only opened them to do the review.!   ;D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fine by Me! ;D :lol: