Author Topic: Temple Guardians - 4848 and 4849  (Read 5957 times)

Offline Skypurr Jr.

• Klicky Explorer
  • Playmo Enthusiast
Temple Guardians - 4848 and 4849
« on: May 09, 2010, 11:50:46 »
 This is my first review so I'm not sure whether it'll be that good or not, but here goes.....

This is a review for set no. 4848- the yellow temple guard, and set no. 4849- the blue temple guard!

They seem to fit the elements rock and ice, don't they?

If you take the arm protectors and helmets off, it is revealed that they look like some normal klickies protected in armour!

They are armed with some sort of crystalized axe! These weapons have a button on them, and if that button is pressed......

They light up in the dark! Cool, huh?

Now, quite a while back, some of you were wondering what the big deal with these really tall legs were. Well I managed to get the back off so you could see what's inside...

Unfortunately, the outer casing is the klicky's actual legs and there are no normal klicky's legs inside.

Without the helmets, these klickies are both about eight and a half centimetres tall, compared to a normal klicky which is about six and a half centimetres tall. With the helmets the yellow "rock" klicky is about nine centimetres tall, while the blue "ice" klicky is a good nine and a half centimetres.

The guards remind me of golems. As wikipedia says... - In Jewish folklore, a golem is an animated anthropomorphic being created entirely from inanimate matter.
But I'm sure you all knew that already!  :lol:

Junior  
...Lost in Playmospace...

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Temple Guardians - 4848 and 4849
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:27:20 »

That's one of the best reviews I've seen in a long, long time, Junior !!!

Thank you very much.

BTW, from your excellent photos, it appears that Playmobil might have originally intended to put a "full" Klicky inside and then later changed their minds. Does it look that way when you look at the actual figures?

Thanks again and all the best,
Richard

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 13:57:08 »
That's an excellent review, Skypurr Jr.  Well done, and I look forward to seeing more of your reviews.

(I can't say I'm taken with the klicky or the theme it's from, however, but that's not your fault.)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 14:02:10 »
This is an excellent review Skypurr Jr.!!! Congratulations!!! Thank you for the wonderful pictures that answer so many question in an illustrative manner!!! I would be interested to see more of these sets if you manage to get any in the future!!!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 14:28:11 »
An excellent review Junior :)9

I must say they are not really my cup of tea either, but I do like the look of the vehicles in this theme :)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 14:53:11 »
Excellent pictures Skypurr Jr, and thank you for this review!

I don't quite understand where Playmobil are coming from with these figures, but maybe that's their idea, to leave more to the (child's) imagination. While these figures are clearly NOT humans as their legs are not normal legs, they have normal klicky heads and faces.

Golems are usually depicted as just one color, as they are created from a single homogenous material, yet these figures have several colors. These figures are armed with some form of laser-blaster, but Golems need no more than their brute strength and size, and any inherent "magical" powers.

I'll be getting these when they hit the US as I like the Jungle Adventure theme, and my new garden forms a great backdrop for jungly adventures.

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:44:23 »
Great review Skypurr Jr.!  You have a talent for reviews.  I encourage you to do more.

I still don't understand the point of these particular Klickies, though.  They are very weird looking.  Playmobil seems to be heading in that direction what with dragon knights and ghost pirates.
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 06:07:08 »
I still don't understand the point of these particular Klickies, though.  They are very weird looking.  Playmobil seems to be heading in that direction what with dragon knights and ghost pirates.

Maybe there is a story about this theme only in the german site.... maybe....

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 09:16:58 »
Great review Skypurr Jr.!  You have a talent for reviews.  I encourage you to do more.

I think the answer/ story is in the main set of that theme. There are two of those temple guards in that set already that can be actually be put in the wall. I think that's the idea behind it - animted Guardians of a ruined city/ temple. There are many of those around in books, films, etc. ...
I actually quite like the idea - although I loath those flashy weapon thingies. There are definit some themes and sets where they might work for me. ...
But this is definitly not one of them.

Bogro

... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 08:39:20 »
In general, I like blinking playmo-thingies...
...but these klickies are a little too crazy for me.  8}  :P

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen