Author Topic: 4822 fire 4x4 review  (Read 8080 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
4822 fire 4x4 review
« on: April 24, 2010, 21:55:14 »
Having had a piece of good fortune at the beginning of this month here:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4332.0

I also had some good fortune on Thursday this week, 22nd April.  I had gone to York to meet a former work colleague for lunch and passing a toyshop I noticed it had a sale on, including Playmobil, notably the new fire theme.  Prices were reduced by about a third - 4820, usually £39.99 down to £29.99, 4821 £23.99 instead of £34.99, 4822 £9.99 instead of £14.99 and 4825 £12.99 instead of £16.99.  As I knew a friend in Australia was wanting these I nipped in to the shop and had a chat with the shopkeeper.  They were a toyshop largely selling traditional wooden toys aimed at younger children who had tried Playmobil to widen their range and found it hadn't done particularly well and were now selling off their stock.  They had 2 of each fire set in.  I explained about my friend in Oz and said I'd be in touch shortly.  Meanwhile, the shopkeeper offered me the display stand if I wanted it when they had sold everything off.  However, it wasn't especially interesting so I said, "No thank you".  Next day, after an exchange of emails with my friend I went back and bought 1 of each of 4820, 4821 and 4825 and two of 4822, one being for me.  I was glad I'd been quick as already the previous afternoon one of the two 4820s had been sold.  So now, here's a review of the 4822 fire 4x4.

The general shape reminds me of the RAV 4, a small 4x4 and although it doesn't look especially interesting in the catalogue, once out of the box is good Playmobil quality and a fine addition to a fire brigade.  So to start the review here are the usual box pictures, front and back and 2 of three side views.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 15:04:59 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4822 fire 4x4 review
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 21:57:09 »
Now the third side view and some photos of the vehicle built up.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 22:07:50 »
Now two front views, one showing the independent suspension system which flatcat referred to.  The photo shows just the front suspension in operation, but the system also operates on the rear suspension.  The system is actually an adaptation of the system on the original small jeep, except that that used a centrally pivoted solid front axle to achieve the effect.  (It had no rear suspension.) With this version, each stub axle pivots independently.

A new departure is that the separate windscreen surround is glazed and a nice detail is the outline of the screen mounted rear view mirror, including the attachment point to the interior of the screen.  Underneath the front is a nicely detailed sump guard moulded as part of the "bull bars".  These are good examples of the attention to detail Playmobil gives to its models.

I'll continue with the review tomorrow as it's now after 23:00.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 22:56:30 »
I like the functionality of this new fire theme addition much better than its predecessor 3177 Smart Car which didn't have enough storage to even house 2 fire helmets along with the 3 fire extinguisher's that were meant to be assigned to it! This will be a several must have! Thank you for the beginning review of this excellent new set Gordon!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:52:32 »
Very cool car!
The suspension is really cool, has playmobil done this before?
Great reveiw PlaymoFire!
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:36:44 »
Very cool car!
The suspension is really cool, has playmobil done this before?
Great reveiw PlaymoFire!

Vet with car set 4345 & Alaskan Adventure SUV set 5898 use this same type of suspension.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 06:54:17 »
Why do you always get all the bargains! I have never ever seen Playmobil reduced in a shop before :(

I have never seen the 4821 for £34.99 round here either and I had to pay £39.99 for mine :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

Great review so far Gordon :)9

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 08:03:58 »
That a great looking vehicle Gordon!!! A fine addition to FD fleet!!! It is much better than its predecessor....Has a better design too!!! Thank you for these pictures...looking forward to the rest...

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:54:06 »
Why do you always get all the bargains! I have never ever seen Playmobil reduced in a shop before :(

I have never seen the 4821 for £34.99 round here either and I had to pay £39.99 for mine :hissyfit: :hissyfit: :hissyfit:

Great review so far Gordon :)9

It's not often I've found a bargain and, in fact, this is the first time I think, so you're in good company.

£39.99 for the 4821 suggests a pricing error as that is the price for the 4820.  I have come across this problem  before when one assistant has said to another, "How much is the fire engine?" meaning the 3880 and been given the price for the much more expensive 3879.  Fortunately, I knew my prices!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 08:56:34 »
I like the functionality of this new fire theme addition much better than its predecessor 3177 Smart Car which didn't have enough storage to even house 2 fire helmets along with the 3 fire extinguisher's that were meant to be assigned to it! This will be a several must have! Thank you for the beginning review of this excellent new set Gordon!

Thank you, Bill, for your comments.  A similar vehicle would make a nice edition to the police and ambulance thermes.