Author Topic: HOW TO: make a link to a PlaymoDB page in a forum post  (Read 1822 times)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
HOW TO: make a link to a PlaymoDB page in a forum post
« on: April 09, 2010, 15:03:50 »
In PlaymoDB, the pictures are protected from being linked to directly, in order to prevent people (not you of course!) from including them in their own pages and stealing my bandwidth. Copying and pasting the URL from your browser will only link to an error - the pictures have to be viewed within PlaymoDB pages. So, on every set-page and part-page, I've put the code necessary to make a link in a forum-post to that page, with its number and name.  It works on most forums, not just this one.

I'll give instructions for set-pages, but the same thing works for part-pages, "Your Set List" pages, and "Who's That Klicky?" pages too.

--
On a set-page, scroll all the way to the bottom.

Look for the words: "To post this set on a forum that uses BBCode:", above the thick blue lines.

Immediately below "To post this set on a forum that uses BBCode:" is a line of text that starts with "[URL" and ends with "/URL]".

Highlight that whole line, from [URL to /URL] with your mouse.

Press Control-C (hold control key down, then press C) ... OR, open the Edit menu, and select "Copy".

Go back to where you were writing your post.  (Or, start a post or a reply from the beginning, it doesn't matter.)

When your cursor is in the place where you'd like to put the link to the page you were just looking at, press Control-V (hold control key down, then press V) or open the Edit menu, and select "Paste".

The line you highlighted should appear in your post.

When you are finished your post, press the "Preview" button below where you were typing.  The post will appear above where you were typing, and will include the set-number and name in colour and underlined.  There is your link! If you want to test it, click on the link with the right mouse button and choose "Open in New Window" from the pop-up menu so you won't lose what you've written, and a window will open with the set-page in it so you can see that it works. Go back to your post. When you are satisfied, press the "Post" button below where you were typing.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
Re: HOW TO: make a link to a PlaymoDB page in a forum post
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 20:51:03 »
Like this?
30 09 5550 - Starfish

Thanks Heather, I shall use this method from now on :)9

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 22:35:03 »
Thank You heather, I see how to do it now.

30 06 4710 - Shoe for balancing on high wire
(Just need the shoes now!)  :lol:

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 03:48:09 »
Thank you for the useful information Heather!   :love:
CARPE KLICKY!