Author Topic: 4158 Unicorn in Fairy World (Advent Calendar)  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
4158 Unicorn in Fairy World (Advent Calendar)
« on: January 22, 2010, 00:35:50 »

I bought this set mainly for the exclusive Playmobil figures and parts, so I'm concentrating on those elements rather than the packaging or cardboard scenery.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: 4158 Unicorn in Fairy World (Advent Calendar)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 00:36:44 »

It has a nice selection of landscape parts, including the flower throne (first seen in set 4199 Fairy Garden) and a leafy archway. The archway was one of the hardest things to construct in this set. You get a pile of vine leaves and a very tiny diagram to show how the finished arch should look. Clearer step-by-step instructions would have been useful here. I also had a small problem with the 3 open petal cream-coloured roses - the holes in the back were slightly mismolded and not big enough to stick to the little pegs on the leaves. (I eventually solved this by enlarging the holes with a heated piece of thin wire.)

The leaf wagon is not a new piece but the base and wheels are in a different colourway to the previous version. The base is a speckly light purple colour which matches the dress of the adult fairy in the set. (Btw, make sure the base is sitting the right way around or the leaf seat will not lock into place. I was momentarily confused despite having put one of these together before. :-[)

The large shell has a pretty pearlescent sheen which doesn't really show up on the photo. It seems a little out of place in the forest/garden diorama and I'm guessing it was added as filler, but I'm not complaining because my mermaids will find a use for it. :)

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 00:48:16 »

The biggest attraction for me is the three lovely fairies - one big and two small. :love:

I love the printed flower design on the big fairy's dress. You can see that speckly effect in the plastic which I mentioned before. I think it's meant to be glitter but it doesn't sparkle as much as I would expect. It's a new colour for the crown too.

I can't get enough of the cute tutu skirts - this one is deep purple (or magenta, according to playmoDB) with light purple printed highlights. The little details in the fairy sets are always a delight - a small purple flower to finish the parasol, the tiny green stem on the top of the upturned flower hat.

Overall, I'm very happy with the contents and I think I got value for money. I shopped around and found it for the reasonable price of £10.75 at Youngworld Toys. :)

Oops. It appears I left out the small hand mirror from the set. My girls have been playing with the pieces and I didn't notice it was missing.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 00:50:54 »
Those rose arches are a real hassle. Sven needs to do a show on roses one of these days. At least the ground pieces are a reasonable color. That purple they have used in similar sets in the past is just odd and doesn't translate well to other themes. Thanks for the review :)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 00:51:34 »
HI Sylvia  :wave:

That set has a lot of nice flowers in it besides the good parts you already mentioned. I like the flowers that look like a Lillie. I too like the arch way and thrown that is in this set. It looks like that is a new color green base plate for the plants? I do not have a lot of the ferries sets so I am not sure about this

Thanks for the review
Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 01:07:58 »

It looks like that is a new color green base plate for the plants? I do not have a lot of the ferries sets so I am not sure about this

I'm not sure if it's new either, but it does seem to be a much lighter green than other grass base pieces I've come across in the past. :)

I think the lilies are gorgeous too! I forgot to mention that the print on the butterfly is a new colour - magenta to match other items in the set.

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:08:37 »
Thanks for showing us this Sylvia.  I hadn't really thought of getting the fairies sets but having seen this one up close I think I'll look around for them.

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:26:57 »
I got a couple of the other Fairyworld sets, because I liked those flower hats. I wish they'd do more boy fairies with different mushroom hats.

I much prefer the fairies that are clearly liked to a particular flower. I like the idea that each type of flower is maintained by a particular fairy, while the boys get the non-flowering plants.  I skipped the Water Lily Fairy set 4198 because the figure is lacking a Lily hat or indeed any printing.

This set is now showing on Playmobil US but is not yet available. Well done Playmobil US for being too late for Christmas with all the new advent calenders.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 00:30:48 »
I like all the greenery in this set and the throne but like Tim said 'Nothing rhymes with purple!'.

Gepetto