Author Topic: 5860 Light Ballista Team  (Read 8731 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
5860 Light Ballista Team
« on: December 15, 2009, 02:04:27 »
Here's another small set that's been on the Target shelves for a while, but nobody's done a review so here I go.

I could only get one of these so far which is a shame, as there's a nice light ballista that hasn't appeared anywhere else yet as far as I know, the part numbers are not on Playmodb and I think Heather would have got them if she could. It can point above and below the horizontal, and is spring loaded like the pirate cannons.

The two figures, while nothing outstanding, have nice helmets and will fit in with the older style 90s knights. The use of the same lion & stripes shield as in the 5863 small outpost castle for one figure suggests that these two guys are intended as an add-on for that set.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:13:55 by Sylvia »

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
Re: 5860 Light Ballista Team
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:27:43 »
Thanks for the review Martin! You have certainly hit the ground running  :lol:,this is another one of those sets I have passed on because they didn't seem to offer anything new but after your reviews I need to hunt both of these sets down! 8}

Gepetto

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 14:30:36 »
Hi Martin  :elf:

Thanks for the review of another Target/TRU set we take for granted. I picked up a few of these and I think I have not even opened them yet. I was drawn to their classic look with modern improvements.

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 14:42:36 »
Even though I'm not drawn to collect this type of set, your break down, & review is very tempting in deed Martin! Thank you for taking the time to show us the valuable components included in these boxes!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 14:51:51 »
I've noticed that many of the TRU/Target excusives, or at least the pirates and knights,  include a spring-loaded gun of some sort, but I haven't seen this one anywhere else.

It's a nice little crossbow and I hope I can get more without resorting to US Direct service!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 15:15:38 »
It's a nice little crossbow and I hope I can get more without resorting to US Direct service!

It would be best to avoid USA DS at all costs  :lol:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 15:16:35 »
Not a set in my area of interest, but thanks for the review nonetheless, Martin.  It's always good to see what's happening in other PM themes.  It's good, too, to see the old shield designs still in production.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 19:03:26 »
Great review , thanks !  ;D

I find this set quite interesting as one could say its more 'old school' as far as mediaval sets are concerned . The black lion shield these days found in DS 7665/ 7664 fits nicely with these figures . Not sure about this ballista design personally. It reminds me of some other toy lines rather than the  classic playmos. And dont get me wrongo, nothing bad about it , just the volley is kinda weird as is the new pirates volleys . Nevertheless these ballistas would make very god castle defenses on mediaval walls and an arrangement of them would be impessive. Great pictures and I am persuaded from this review to get a couple of these at least  :love:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 02:17:54 »
I see what you mean about the ballista Georginetto, it's not quite there as regards looks, but it's a nice addition to the siege engine lineup, and I'd like to grab a few more of this set if I can locate them.

The lion shield in this set also appeared in the 5863 super set I reviewed recently, plus a matching flag, and they also appeared in the 3667 small castle I cquired this week, though that set is 16 years old. It's nice to see some of the older moulds and designs still getting used.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 08:05:59 »

The lion shield in this set also appeared in the 5863 super set I reviewed recently, plus a matching flag, and they also appeared in the 3667 small castle I cquired this week, though that set is 16 years old. It's nice to see some of the older moulds and designs still getting used.

And they're still available from DS.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”