Author Topic: 4223 ambulance car (Notarzt)  (Read 6225 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
4223 ambulance car (Notarzt)
« on: June 14, 2009, 16:24:23 »
The 4223 ambulance car or notarzt has been relatively short lived in the Playmobil range and I know that I had doubts about it as it didn't seem to offer a great deal for the money when compared with the ambulance for example.  However, having bought one more or less on impulse, I am quite taken with it and have a quite extensive custom plan for it.  Meanwhile, here's a review.

First the usual box pictures, front then back.  You can see what I mean when I said the set didn't seem to offer a great deal for just short of £20 - an estate car, one doctor figures and one piece of emergency medical equipment. 

The front view shows the car to be a good reproduction of the VW Passat model which was in production from 1997 to 2005.  The rear view has a small detail difference from the actual car with the hatchback having straight sides rather than widening out just below the rear window.  Clearly, simplifying the design here made for a simpler and cheaper mould.  The markings on the front ar every effective, as are the headlight units.  Similarly, the grey of AMBULANCE on the rear gives a good representation of the reflective wording used on the real vehicles.  The clear plastic rear lights also nicely capture the look of the real thing.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4223 ambulance car (Notarzt)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 16:27:56 »
A side view and fornt and rear three quarter views show how well the model has captured the look of the original, and also shows up the smart livery of the vehicle. Like the 4221 ambulance, the car uses the new, streamlined flashing blue light. which fits in to the removeable roof panel.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 16:55:46 »
Some interior details now.  Under the bonnet there is a representation of the engine showing the radiator, windscreen washer or brake fluid reservoir and other detail such as the finning on the engine head.  The dashboard is nicely detailed, even down to the heating controls and radio.  (In this picture you can also see the first bit of customising in the sahpe of a satnav sticker on the dash.)

Between the front seats there is a slot to hold the standard modern Playmobil two way radio.

The rear seats can be folded down to increase the carrying capacity for medical equipment.  This is a nice and neatly executed bit of detail.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 16:58:01 »
I have to break off here, but I hope to continue later this evening and, if not, tomorrow, Monday.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 19:44:18 »
Here we go with the next part.

The equipment which comes with the set next.  It's the saline drip/blod transfusion unit (maybe Bill or leefert or kaethe can tell me the exact name and purpose of the PM version), and comes originally with a bag of blood, tubing and a wrist attachment and a face attachment.  It fits in the rear of the car with room to spare, even with the back seats raised.  I felt that a saline drip would be more likely to be used and so replaced the blood bag with the blue saline bag.  In addition, I've added an extra length of tubing and attached the face mask to this and then fitted this to the extra output point on the equipment so that both saline or blood and oxygen can be delivered.  Both connectors and tubing and the two bags will fit inside the equipment body.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 19:55:13 »
I said the car offered a number of opportunities for customising, and I've made a few changes to bring it up to a better specification before I make some major ones in the future.

First, I've added a driver so the doctor figure who comes with the set doesn't have to do this. He's standing at the rear of the car in the first picture. (I've just realised that I haven't shown the doctor yet, so I'll photograph him tomorrow.) 

Secondly, I've extended the equipment carried by adding an extra equipment box, a laptop, torch and radio, a fire extinguisher and a warning triangle, all of which fit in a slide out tray I bought from DS and which comes with the equivalent police car.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 20:05:35 »
The last of the simple changes is to fit a tray on top of the folded down rear seat back containing two protective helmets for use by the crew and add an orange rucksack containing emergency equipment for use when the car get close to the victim.  In addition, the crew have also been provided with a mobile 'phone.

I hope you found this rather haphazard review interesting.  I'll add photos of the doctor tomorrow.  When I get the custom work done, I'll post this in the custom forum.

Thanks for taking the time to follow this topic.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 20:20:22 »
Impressive review Gordon! If I didn't have 2 of them already , I would definitely be sure to get them because of your review, which is a very good selling tool! I need to look into doing more of an equipment addition in the future with the tray, & such!
Bill
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 20:48:57 »
Thank you for such a thorough review Gordon, I especially like the thoughtful additions you have made to the basic set with the trays and equipment.

Gepetto

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 21:04:30 »
Thank you, Gepetto and Bill.

I'm thinking of using three of the large grey suitcases as a basis for equipment, a defib unit in one, oxygen therapy in another and drugs and equipment in the third, and building some internal supports for them.