Author Topic: WHAT'S WRONG WITH PLAYMOBIL  (Read 44142 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: WHAT'S WRONG WITH PLAYMOBIL
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:44 »

Hello, Martin, Bogro and Steve ...  :wave:

Playmobil added construction elements and buildings to a figure system, in the same way that Lego added figures to a construction system, so there are elements of figures and construction in each.

Absolutely true! Chronologically, Lego was figures second and Playmobil was figures first!

btw, now I've seen those Sylvanian family buildings, I'm goig to check out the scale, if it's close enough they might be useful. There's a great windmill, and I don't think PM have done a full windmill in the European style that you can live inside.

Martin, if you haven't seen the website by Robert Packeiser, click HERE and look at how he has used the Sylvanian buildings in his Playmobil Western town!

Now see what you've done! You have spawned a monster!

I hope that you're not referring to one of our Playmofriends ... :lol:

... But Richard, I tried your links ...
But I couldn't find one that said that Playmobil is a construction toy.

OK, Bogro ... I'll make it easy for you. Here's the headline from the first topic,
"Playmobil is world famous for their wonderful construction and building toy sets."

I should probably split this topic, as we have gone a little off the original subject...

MARTIN, PLEASE DON'T SPLIT THIS TOPIC. BOGRO HAS BROUGHT US BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SUBJECT !!!
Please read Bogro's following statement:
I've tried to find a description from Geobra of what their vision is. But couldn't find it  :(

Of course you couldn't find a description of what Geobra's vision is. Hans Beck took it with him when he retired ... :lol:

Perhaps we should just ask...
Bogro

Bogro, why would you want to embarrass the "powers" in Zirndorf's Klicky Towers? ... :lol:

Wow, It's been quite a discussion! I think it's safe to say that you CAN do alot of different things with Playmobil. People that want to build are able to and people that don't, don't have to :-)

I have continued with Playmobil because of it's building aspect, realizing that others use it for strictly imaginary play...I'd love to see the company continue with it all, best of both worlds so to speak.

Steve, I think that you have written an excellent summation!

All the best my friends,
Richard

BTW, Martin ... It would appear that the "tally" is now five to five ... ;)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2008, 18:57:48 »
This is a fun discussion! 

By all means keep me in the "Construction Toy" camp, but let me add that Playmobil is not just a construction toy.  As has been said before, the beauty of Playmobil is that it provides so many different yet complementary opportunities for play.

Is there any useful information in "The Story of a Smile" about the evolution of the Playmobil product line?  (I don't have a copy yet.)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2008, 21:51:06 »

Is there any useful information in "The Story of a Smile" about the evolution of the Playmobil product line?  (I don't have a copy yet.)

I have it, but couldn't find any suggestion that any part of the range was intended as a construction toy, though lots of examples of people (frequently adults with big budgets) using the modular castles to build bigger castles and cities.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2008, 02:40:28 »
Martin - thanks for checking.    :)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2008, 17:44:16 »
If any of you still doubt this, get your hands on one of the inserts that Playmobil included with ALL of their early Steck System castles and houses.

These inserts showed how various sets could be combined in different ways to produce new structures. THEY EVEN INCLUDED THE SET NUMBERS OF THE SETS USED IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS !!!

I don't know if it's the same one that you mentioned, Richard, but I have an 8 page instruction booklet dated 12/97 that came with our 3666 Large Castle set.  It shows how to combine 3666 with set 3888 and also how to combine 3888 with the Small Castle set 3667.  (Pix courtesy of collectobil.com)

For the purists, the booklet is part # 30 89 045 - I did not see it in Heather's Playmodb, but I will try to scan it and send it to her soon. 

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2008, 21:31:11 »

Hello, Anne ...  :wave:

I don't know if it's the same one that you mentioned, Richard, but I have an 8 page instruction booklet dated 12/97 that came with our 3666 Large Castle set.  It shows how to combine 3666 with set 3888 and also how to combine 3888 with the Small Castle set 3667.  (Pix courtesy of collectobil.com)

That sounds like a good one from 1997! Also, it certainly helps prove our case!

Because the insert that I was referring to was included with sets in 1977!

So, for at least twenty years, it appears that Playmobil was presenting themselves as a company that produced building and construction sets!

I have included a page from the "Playmobil Collector" that clearly shows how the Steck System can be combined to make new and different structures.

I have also attached a photo of Set 3444 which has the insert sitting on the lower right hand corner of the open box.

please see attachments

Thanks, Anne, and all the best,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2008, 21:36:09 »
Are there any non-castle sets that are depicted to be combined?

I have still only seen castles and sections of castles being combined to produce bigger castles - which is what I've done myself by buying more than one castle, or add-on DS parts, but that doesn't make the whole Playmobil system a construction system to my way of thinking.

So, for at least twenty years, it appears that Playmobil was presenting themselves as a company that produced building and construction sets!

Richard, you're still focussing on a tiny part of the Playmobil range, and then applying what you see to the entire range for the last 20 years.

Just because one style of building was created to be flexible and extendable doesn't make the whole Playmobil output a construction system.

There are thousands of sets which have NO buildings in them whatsoever. Are these construction sets? And no, putting a hat on a figure does not count as construction.

btw, my wife spotted a product today you might like - a box of tiny clay bricks, which you mortar together to create a building.  The istructions included five diffent buildings you could make. When you're bored of the building, you dunk it in water, and the mortar dissolves releasing the bricks for re-use.

We didn't buy one because it was £30 and very heavy!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 21:53:41 by Martin Milner »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2008, 21:54:08 »

Hello, Martin ...  :wave:

Are there any non-castle sets that are depicted to be combined?

I have still only seen castles and sections of castles being combined to produce bigger castles - which is what I've done myself by buying more than one castle, or add-on DS parts, but that doesn't make the whole Playmobil system a construction system to my way of thinking.

Richard, you're still focussing on a tiny part of the Playmobil range, and then applying your blinkered view to the whole range.

Just because one style of building was created to be flexible and extendable doesn't make the whole Playmobil output for 35 years a construction system.

How about Western buildings? ... ;)

I just happened to have my "Playmobil Collector" open when I saw your reply (and question).

Prior to Steck, Playmobil had a Western Construction set. All the of the building sets were single storey. However, as you can see from the attached scan. Playmobil encouraged their customers to create two storey Western buildings by combining more than one set.

please see attachment

All the best,
Richard

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2008, 22:28:21 »
I notice that the examples Richard gives are ones of combining different sets which isn't construction in the Lego/Meccano/Bayko sense, these being three toys everyone recognises as construction toys.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2008, 22:50:47 »

Hello, Gordon ...  :wave:

I notice that the examples Richard gives are ones of combining different sets which isn't construction in the Lego/Meccano/Bayko sense, these being three toys everyone recognises as construction toys.

OK ... No combining of different sets ... :lol:

Playmobil presented set 3446 both as the "City Walls" and a "Small Castle."

Same set ... TWO different ways of building this castle construction set ... ;)

please see attachments

Next question, old friend? ... :lol:

All the best,
Richard