Author Topic: Partial line-up of Copt Hewick Fire Brigade  (Read 3839 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Partial line-up of Copt Hewick Fire Brigade
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:06:21 »
A number of people have asked for a line-up photo of the brigade and rather than keep people waiting until it is all finished, here is a line-up as it stands at present. The identifying letters under each fire engine uses German fire brigade terminology as my brigade is modelled on these. An exception is the water tanker as I haven't yet found out the proper initials for this (but I'm working on it!). For pumps, the following will help:

T = carries own water supply

LF = literally fire extinguishing vehicle

the number, e.g. 8 = max pump capacity in litres per minute (lpm), e.g. 8 = 800lpm

From left to right the appliances are:

1st call pump, Old Central Fire Station

1st call pump, New Town South

1st call pump, New Town Central

Emergency tender, New Town South (handy for the motorway)

Reserve pump, not allocated

Water/foam carrier, New Town South (handy for rural area)

Turntable ladder, Old Town Central, has built-in pumping capacity but no water tank

Advance command and control unit, there is one of these at each station

Planned or being built are a heavy pump/foam unit, an equipment lorry/second emegency tender, a large command and control unit and, possibly, a general purpose lorry with a HIAB crane. There is also another, modern, turntable ladder, the water rescue unit and a staff car not shown on the photo.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Partial line-up of Copt Hewick Fire Brigade
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 08:07:08 »
Below is a typical crew for one of the pumps. The planned crew strength is 6, but a pump may turn out with 5 or as few as 4 crew members if this cannot be avoided. However, where this happens extra support, initially in the form of an officer, is sent immediately. The reserve pump (LF8) carries a crew of 4. All other appliances carry a crew of 2.

The firefighter-in-charge is either a Leading Fireman or a Sub-Officer. These are roughly equivalent to the non-commissioned ranks of Corporal and Sergeant. Ocasionally, a Station Officer will have this role where he/she has not been appointed to a support role (what's known as a "rider" Station Officer). All promotion to officer level is through the ranks and the brigade uses the standard UK fire brigade practice of the firefighter-in-charge on the first appliance at an incident taking charge of the incident unless an control is handed to an officer by HQ. Thus, if a Leading Fireman is in charge of the first appliance at an incident, then he/she takes charge and remains in charge even if when additional appliances are called for (if necessary) there is a Sub-Officer or Station Officer in charge of these. Comman dis only handed over to a superior officer when HQ instructs this. An exception is made where from the outset an incident appears to be such that control should be taken by an officer from the outset. When this happens, the officer is turned out with the first appliance(s) to the incident.

The firefighter-in-charge is responsible for command and control and communications and overall handling of an incident. The driver acts also as the pump operator and the remaining four crew tackle the fire-fighting and any rescue work needed at a fire. Having four crew available for this makes for two BA (breathing apparatus)/fiefighting teams, each of two firefighters, being available for search and rescue work and tackling the blaze.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:16:14 »
Hi Playmofire,

That is a mighty fine fleet of fire trucks.

A brave looking crew as well. :yup:

Well done!

Best regards,

Jimbo

Offline FireChief

• Playmo Lover
    • Playmobil Fire Department
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 15:56:12 »
Hello Gordon,

Your fleet looks excellent, very well planned out.
Good pictures too.

In case you didn't get my PM, the flatbed was part of the snowcat that came with the Dino sets.

Ben

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 17:49:41 »
Thank you, Jimbo and Ben.  And thnak you for the PM Ben; it arrived OK.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 22:13:34 »
i guess we can guess in what themes you guys (playmofire and fire chuief) you voted for in the poll...  ;)
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1664.0
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 16:01:41 »
Hello  Gordon

I have been waiting quite a while to see your line up but its been worth the wait !! You have quite a wonderfull selection of vehicles there. I really do like the way you have tackled the problems that arise with each specific type of vehicle and its equipment loadout. As i said before i am really impressed with how all the tools have their place and the ammount of tools that you fit on the smaller 3880 appliances. I am seriously going to have to reconsider my Fire Service and the vehicles i have available, because as a whole i dont have that many 'specials'. I think now that my creative block has passed i will get to work on some new projects. I think one of the peices of equipment i am working on will be right up your street !! You will just have to find a suitable vehicle to mount it on (Subtle hint :D ) !! It is something that you have mentioned in the past. I have been working from a set of pictures in one of the fire scene magazines you kindly gave me i think i have cracked it !!

Kindest Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 16:19:42 »
Excellent lineup and information Playmofire. I should know more about fire engines than I do - I live only 100 yards from my local fire station.

Would the HazMat crew (set 3180) be part of the civilian Fire Brigade?

Apart from a 9/11 commemorative figure these are the only Rescue figures I have.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 18:16:43 »
Excellent lineup and information Playmofire. I should know more about fire engines than I do - I live only 100 yards from my local fire station.

Would the HazMat crew (set 3180) be part of the civilian Fire Brigade? 

Thank you, Martin, and you shold indeed know more living that close! ;D  A couple of years ago we were quite tempted by a house in Ripon (a couple of miles from where we live) as it was next to the fire station and had an archway entrance to the yard - two things I've always wanted.  Unfortunately, it also needed lost doing to it to live in and the time was not right for us to undertake something like that.

Yes, the hazmat crew are part of the civilian fire brigade.  Development of suits like those has been within the last 20 years or so.  I can remember when I was a fire brigade photographer between 1985 and 1990 photographing two chemical exercises.  The first just involved crew in normal firefighting and BA gear, hosed down at the end.  The second there was quite a fuss about as it involved crew in full protection suits which also enclosed the BA gear, and a portable shower unit for decontamination.

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 21:20:32 »
Hi Gordon,

That's a very nice looking fleet of fire trucks.

The picture obviously shows the outside of the trucks so it is great that we can look back on you previous posts and see what equipment is actually inside them.  :)
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.