Author Topic: The Mindset Of Shop Owners  (Read 322 times)

Offline leefert

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Master
The Mindset Of Shop Owners
« on: June 05, 2018, 23:04:46 »
I stopped in a shop this week that formerly sold Playmobil. The owner said, “When they hit the mass market big box stores, I drop them.” I wanted to tell her that she had it all wrong. Being available in the mass market is what could make people seek out more. Needless to say, I was disappointed in her decision because it meant that there was another brick and mortar store no longer carrying it. It’s sad really, her shop was almost completely empty.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Klickteryx

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Addict
Re: The Mindset Of Shop Owners
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 21:23:36 »
Reminds me of stores that don't stock "war toys". Probably kept going by an army of those well meaning people that buy gifts for children, boys particularly, who dread opening them.

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 21:17:50 »
As a shop owner I can say that it's very difficult to carry a line that moves to big box. We just can't compete with that buying power. It's really up to the toy company (in this case Playmobil) as to where they want their product to be. When you operate month-to-month decisions get made quickly. I drop lines all the time for various reasons. I have continued to carry Playmobil because it's my favorite toy, the best in the world. I've worked hard to keep it, but I can understand other business owners dropping it if they don't have that passion.

Unfortunately, money, and survival are a reality in business. I do my best to separate those issues from the magic that I try to bring into my shops. Hopefully there are other business owners out there that feel the same way!
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #3 on: Today at 00:09:24 »
A very interesting topic indeed. Thank you for sharing an insight of what being a Toy Shop Owner in 2018 means. Both in France and England I can see shops closing down and this saddens me. Here in Marlow, we still have an old fashioned Toy Shop which is a joy to visit and purchase from, even if their stock is limited. What used to be norm back in the days is a rarity nowadays to be able to engage in a conversation with someone who is really listening and has a lifetime of experience behind them. Without sounding over nostalgic, I am so glad to have been able to live and witness worldwide thriving communities with busy shops busy and happy customers conversations  :love:
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.