Author Topic: 4052 loco with PRR tender  (Read 4377 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4052 loco with PRR tender
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 00:39:43 »
I am also missing the tank cover off of mine, as well as one of the front baffle panels.  3d printing may be the future on these as we get farther and farther away from when they were in production.

So when it comes to it, Tim, we already have a multiple order for the tank cover!

It has been suggested that the tank cover may be the same size or very close to the same size as a number of LGB ones, which would provide another source.  I'll let you know which LGB items might work once I find out.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline csimas

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 10:11:15 »
Nice buy, that train is superb equalizing whit the steaming mary  :love: and it can pull a lottt of wagons.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 16:36:48 »
Time for a brief update.

All parts which can be put through the dishwasher have been through it.

Everything is dissassembled as a result and cleaning and polishing has started.

I started with the tender and one side has been finished. Removing the old stickers left a "ghost" of the lettering on the side, but a good polish with T-Cut, followed by two polishes with Turtle Wax car polish, another two rubbings with T-Cut and then five polishes with Turtle Wax has left one side of the tender nice and bright and polished and no "ghosting". The other side is next and then the rest of the tender doesn't need a lot of cleaning and polishing.

I have noticed that a handle on the boiler back has broken off (maybe it's there to open the firebox door) and so I will carefully drill a hole and insert the top of a Playmobil broom handle cut to length and paint it black.

I may also add a flickering LED to the firebox at this stage too.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 20:55:50 »
In the last few days as tine allowed I've been doing a bit of work on the tender coupling.

Junker Jorg suggested that trying to glue the broken coupling loop on wouldn't be a long term solution and that a nut and bolt job was the answer. (He had had a local blacksmith make a loop for him.) To start with, I looked at curved drawer handles of the right size, but most of these were fixed by screwing from behind and this was not possible. A reference on another forum to meccanspares.com made me think of making a coupling loop out of Mecanno and so I ordered the parts I needed (I've put in two orders and both were delivered the following day).

The first thing to do was to cut off the remains of the original coupling loop ( photo 1) and then mark out where the Meccano replacement would go and do a test fit (photo 2). The third picture shows the Meccano coupling bolted into place.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 21:04:52 »
I did the final fitting in a hurry and fitted the coupling loop higher than intended. Originally (photo 1) I meant to have about 2mm vertical clearance between the bottom of the Meccano and the top of the support of the coupling hook on the loco, but nw there's much more (photos 2 and 3). However, I don't think there's any risk of the two separating (photo 4).

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 13:55:09 »
That does look good!

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 15:01:20 »
That does look good!

jj:

Thank you.   :wave:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 15:10:59 »
The next stage is wiring up the tender so that the rear lights can be powered from the motor and an "umbilical" connection made to the loco motor to guarantee smooth running over points, where otherwise one of the motors might "stall".

Not being a dab hand at soldering, I will use "chocblocs" and piggy back connectors with slide-on female connectors on the wiring.  Here are some photos showing what I mean.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 15:14:57 »
For wiring, I have the choice of LGB wire or some OO gauge wire for points, which handily come with slide-on connectors already fitted.

For the "umbilical", I've got a ready made one from an RC car supplier.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 15:30:46 »
The loco motor and tender motor will both have the same wiring (lights and "umbilical") although the loco may also have a flickering red LED as well, but more of that later.

When it comes to running the wiring, the easiest route seems to be run the wiring from the tender under the front edge of the tender body, either centrally or where the "doors" would be fitted on one side and then straight across to the loco.

For the loco, the easiest route seems to be to drill a small hole towards the bottom of the boiler back plate in the cab and run the wires for the "umbilical" through the cab to join up with the end from the tender.