General > Trains!

4052 loco with PRR tender

(1/5) > >>

playmofire:
A short time ago a 4052 loco and a PRR tender appeared as separate items on Glendale Junction's website.  Both were very dusty and so thinking they might be at a good price, I asked for first refusal.  The price was £55 for the pair, plus £10 p and p.  and they are now mine!

The sellers had tested the loco and also reported that the tender motor was missing a tyre.

From the photos I could see that the front coupling loop on the tender was missing and that the water cover for the water tank, the drop plate and the "doors" on the tender were missing.

Broken coupling loops seem to be about par for these tenders and I wasn't surprised about the other pieces that were missing having seen the prices of "doors" for example on eBay and never having seen the drop plate for sale and bearing n mind that the cover of the water tank would obviously be taken on and off in play.

I have done a bit of testing and small 9v battery turns the wheels on the loco with no problem and showed the lights were working OK.

The motor in the tender also runs OK, although I imagine both might benefit from a bit of oil and a clean.

A bulb has been fitted into the tender lighting unit, but the lights don't work; I suspect a failed bulb.

playmofire:
The loco has n parts missing and is just very dusty as the photos below show.

playmofire:
The bell is yellowed, as are the connection rods and there is some dirt or wear on the skates.  But after a light scrub in warm soapy water, the cab roof comes up fine, so there's only a good clean needed.

playmofire:
The coupling loop on the front had broken off at some time and been replaced, but this too has broken off. However, it came with the tender and it looks that with a bit of cleaning up and good glueing it can be refitted.

The skates on the tender are worn or dirty, although, like the loco, applying 9v battery power to them turns the wheels OK.

I need to replace the tender bulb - does anyone know how to access it?

The drop plate and "doors" are missing, as is the water tank cover.  A single "door" on eBay was selling for £25 plus p and p, and I've never seen a drop plate for sale, so I'll do without the "doors" and make a drop plate of my own.

If anyone has a spare water tank cover for sale, please PM me.

playmofire:
Overall, I'm very pleased with my buy and plan to start cleaning it up and testing it more fully when I get back from holiday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version