Author Topic: Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy
« on: September 19, 2017, 18:46:07 »
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-41316205

Amazon is the biggest toy seller so it looks like Toys R Us, at least in America, is going to restructure to become a more online business. I wonder how a more online presence will affect toys like playmobil without big boxes to catch the eye or store displays? Will toys eventually all be sold online in bags?

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Toys R Us filing for bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 18:53:35 »
I already shop at their online store as often as I do their local storefront. Their problem is more being undercut on prices, not that they don't have things available online.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 20:23:10 »
TRU here is NOT cheap.. though I suppose the playmoselection is good (if you shop in Portugal)..

However, my ONE online experience with them was lousy. We had to jump through so many hoops to get the stupid thing to accept the address that in the end we opted for paypal to skirt it. It was the inn, btw :P

Employees are generally very ignorant (on toys) and somewhat rude too, in my experience.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 22:15:19 »
Even when I was a child I found Toys R Us to be a particularly depressing shopping experience. Though I did get 'Colorado Springs' for £15, so that was good.

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 01:44:22 »
It could explain some of the decrease in Playmobil, if Playmobil demanded payment up front...
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Robbie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:58:07 »
I've had great memories over the years about the incredible bargains I've found at Toys R Us. It's the last big box toy store of its kind. Anyone remember KB Toys? I loved that store growing up.

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 18:19:01 »
I've had great memories over the years about the incredible bargains I've found at Toys R Us. It's the last big box toy store of its kind. Anyone remember KB Toys? I loved that store growing up.

I worked at a  KB Toys! Eventually TRU bought them out
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 19:32:31 »
Playing habits are changing.

From what I've seen, kids are jumping from toys to gaming consoles/tablets/cell phone games at a younger age these days which makes the toy buying period shorter than it used to be.
They'll ask for the occasional toy or gadget based on what they've seen on TV or in the movies, but it usually end up on the pile once there's a new fad in town.

Unlike Playmobil who has a steady schedule of releases throughout the year, many toy companies have distribution problems which either leaves the same toys on the shelves for months if the shelves are not simply left empty.
New assortments are easier to find online than in stores.

All that combined, it's no real surprise that even a giant like TRU would have difficulties. They might have to adapt to today's market. Maybe turn towards the toy collectors who are still a huge part of the market.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 01:12:33 »
Whether they target children or collectors, I think they are going to need to rework the store. It's overwhelming and not in a good way. I always feel a bit stressed at TRU; it's like the kids' version of Best Buy. B&M stores can't compete with online stores on price or selection, so they need to offer a better experience.