Author Topic: Collectobil- has it gone?  (Read 11063 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Collectobil- has it gone?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 17:58:50 »
Thanks, Indiana. I have sent Richard a polite PM.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 18:42:57 »
I followed through to the new site today and noticed that it was the first all woman Career Management website.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 20:44:19 »
Thanks, Indiana. I have sent Richard a polite PM.

...and had a reply! It looks as though the answer to my question in the title of this topic is yes!

Richard created Garden Wargaming about the same time as Bart deSmet created Collectobil, 20 years ago. Career Management International hosted both websites.

According to Richard, Bart has apparently just let Collectobil go. Garden Wargaming may well follow before long.

So that's unfortunately the answer.

RIP Collectobil, Photobucket free hosting, PCC, what next?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 21:55:26 »
That's bad news, a great store of Playmobil knowledge has gone.  But one thing puzzles me - I understood that Richard had taken over Collectobil?

Is there any way of resurrecting the site temporarily so that material might be downloaded somewhere?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 22:05:02 »
Bad news indeed  :(

But one thing puzzles me - I understood that Richard had taken over Collectobil?

That is what I heard/read as well, some time before the PCC was created... probably here on the forum, it was superactive back then.
If I remember correctly from that period, it was then that Richard took over Collectobil with the intention of using the site for an official Collectors´Club. But then things went a different direction...  So I have always thought/assumed Richard was since then the new owner of Collectobil.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 23:40:01 »
RIP Collectobil, Photobucket free hosting, PCC, what next?

You're right! Between the loss of many photos on the forum and the complete disappearance of Collectobil, a huge wealth of Playmobil-related info has been lost recently. :(
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2017, 00:19:40 »
I wonder how this affects Playmodb?  Heather had a lot of photos from collectobil linked to her set information.  It is truly sad that so much wonderful information is lost due to all of these recent developments.  I remember how we old-timers felt when Playmoboard went away, taking a lot of great photos and links with it, as well.   :sorrow:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2017, 00:26:45 »
I wonder how this affects Playmodb?  Heather had a lot of photos from collectobil linked to her set information.

The answer is "Badly".  If you click on the thumbnail you simply get the warning message abut an insecure connection.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2017, 00:34:33 »
It is possible to revive an expired domain/admin name if it is done within a given time after it expires. 

Could this be done with Collectobil, and if it is, does it also "revive" the website?

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2017, 08:50:53 »
I have sent Heather an email. You are right, Playmofire, many Collectobil images were linked on PlaymoDB and Heather said a while ago that she had a lot of help from Collectobil when she set up the DB.

Although I didn't quote Richard's PM to me verbatim, the essential facts are those in my previous post in this topic. My understanding is that the CMI management website is owned by Richard and he hosted Collectobil there (starting 20 years ago) but took no part in its administration.

I know little of website administration, hosting etc., but those are the right questions to be asking, Playmofire.

Here's another one, for Sylvia: could PF host the Collectobil pages as well as offering hosting for larger images, such as those now squashed by Photobucket? I am sure the answer is complicated and would need additional finance, but I for one would be willing to help pay for it.