Author Topic: Almost but not quite the same size.  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Almost but not quite the same size.
« on: July 05, 2017, 03:55:24 »
grrrr....
Why do they feel the need to create parts that are otherwise identical to existing or previous parts but which are slightly bigger?
I recently got a 3-strand and 4-strand ratline (the climbing thing on a sailing ship) pair to go with the pair I already had but they're about a cm longer, both of them but otherwise the same as the older ones I have.
Same with the newer cargo barrels. The barrels themselves are quite different, more elongated looking with metal coloured hoops. The lids though...almost identical to the old barrel lids including size but the bit that holds them in place is a different size so they sit loose on the old barrels. The tap hole in the lid is also larger. Fortunately the taps I got fit the older lids which I have several of.

Hopefully both sets of ratlines will fit the ship which is a 3050 ship but the masts are from a 5135. Finally have masts and rigging for it, though nearly all from newer ships including some nice dark brown pulleys instead of the usual black.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Re: Almost but not quite the same size.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 11:09:00 »
Finally had a chance to play with it and had one of those  :doh: moments. One of the ships has a raised rail for the rear ratline so it's meant to be shorter.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 12:28:24 »
It's very very annoying.

It's like it's done without thinking  - like the stupid harnesses for the polar dogs. New parts. How freaking hard would it be to make them compatible with the old ones?!

Or that superset base with useless steck connectors...

Or the idiotic doors on the system X castle, that are SLIGHTLY different from the steck ones.

WHY!?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 13:38:39 »
There's probably some new kid in the design department who's realised that the parts concerned are not to scale in some way.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 15:25:39 »
There's probably some new kid in the design department who's realised that the parts concerned are not to scale in some way.

If he expected playmo to be to scale, he needs a new job. And glasses.  :P

Online GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 16:13:35 »
Finally had a chance to play with it and had one of those  :doh: moments. One of the ships has a raised rail for the rear ratline so it's meant to be shorter.

I'm glad you sorted that out, but the barrels' problems still stand!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 16:41:16 »
If he expected playmo to be to scale, he needs a new job. And glasses.  :P

By the time he's finished it will all be to the same scale!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 00:55:46 »
I first noticed it when I got a new motor cover for an old standing style concrete mixer. The mixers are nearly identical and the covers are almost identical too, the newer one even fits the old mixer but it's slighter larger so isn't flush with the body of the mixer.
What's becoming more unhelpful is all the subtle colour differences they're using now so it's harder to customise without having to use paint. For some reason they've decided that their sets should all be standalone with limited compatibility. This I don't get as compatibility was one of the things that made the older sets so good.

The Super 4 blue that is used by Alex's kingdom is unique. Pretty much the only thing that is that colour is the blue used in 3899 which has the hooded rider with blue executioner hood. Then they released that version of King Kenric in purple for some reason but at least that colour exists elsewhere.