Author Topic: From sketch to final: the process of creation  (Read 2000 times)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
From sketch to final: the process of creation
« on: June 24, 2017, 22:32:54 »
I thought some might be interest in this, so here is a quick look into it.

As soon as I get the idea of what to do, I draw a quick pencil sketch as to give the idea a physical form.
Then I move to the selection of the playmo-items I'm gonna need, set them up,  and I take several photographs from which I select the best one.

Lastly I search the web for the elements I don't have and add them with Photoshop, retouch the photo, add a couple of FXs and voilá!
:wave: :wave: :wave:

...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
Re: From sketch to final: the process of creation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 02:24:34 »
This is super cool.

I did not get what you were going for with the sketch, but the end result is fantastic. Brings me back to my childhood and play pretend.

I had this as a kids and remember playing with it with my friends in the back yard and around the house.

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:19:26 »
Very clever, both the idea and the delivery! I spotted the Staypuft man with his helmet off in the sketch, I wondered where the helmet was in the first photo, but the final one showed the concept become reality (well, virtual reality). Great use of Photoshop! Great capturing of childhood!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:56:12 »
I did not get what you were going for with the sketch, but the end result is fantastic. Brings me back to my childhood and play pretend.
Thanks The_Madd_Hatter!

The sketchs for me are always a super quick and all-over-the-place representation of the primal idea.
Some elemets stay while others don't make it to the final pic.
Basically the very first idea was kids (siblings) playing in the bedroom, the bed turned in to the Ecto 1 and the dad as the marshmallow man.
Originally I was going to use the family's dog and cat (the oval thing next to the dog is a sleeping cat  :lol: :lol: :lol:) as Slime and a Terror dog, but that was cut.
Later I thought that more kids were better to represent each of the Ghostbusters characters. (SO I added them and in my head they were not siblings anymore, but just friends playing and one of the dads with them  ;D)

Very clever, both the idea and the delivery! I spotted the Staypuft man with his helmet off in the sketch, I wondered where the helmet was in the first photo, but the final one showed the concept become reality (well, virtual reality). Great use of Photoshop! Great capturing of childhood!
Thank you Graham!  :)
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 22:06:25 »
Very nice, I saw your pic earlier on FB and I like it a lot.
Like the others said, the endresult is superb and great use of Photoshop (I still have no clue how to even start with that program  :-[ )

Personally, when making a (usually small) scene, I don´t to any sketching on paper (even though I used to draw a lot when I was younger) but I do a "sketching"-phase in my mind, I try to "see" it in my head. When I believe an idea has evolved enough, I try it out with figures & parts. By looking  at what I´ve set up, I then think of changes or improvements that can be implemented.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 06:18:46 »
Talking of Photoshop, did you use it to get your Avatar leaning backwards while doing his sax riff, or did you manipulate the klicky, Tonguello?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 11:37:46 »
Talking of Photoshop, did you use it to get your Avatar leaning backwards while doing his sax riff, or did you manipulate the klicky, Tonguello?

I used a broken inner frame  ;D

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 14:08:07 »
I used a broken inner frame  ;D

Ha! A good old analogue solution!