Author Topic: Country 6870 Orchard harvest  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Country 6870 Orchard harvest
« on: June 03, 2017, 01:28:44 »
I purchased this mainly for the fruit trees which I didn't have any of (and because it was on sale) but it's a really nice set.

It comes with a reasonably versatile base, two fruit trees, a watermelon patch, a small tractor, some crates and an umbrella as well as two farm type figures.

The box was a reasonable size for the contents rather than the cavernous space that many sets come in with four bags and the base inside.

Bags as usual are randomly packed.
This one included the tractor minus the lights and a nice tree stump for filling in one of the large holes on the base.

When putting the wheels on, take note of the tread. The tread should be a 'v' shape when viewing the tractor from the front. The wheels are not the same, there is a left and a right of each pair though none are labelled such.

The lights come with the mellons and instructions. There is the sticker for the headlights and two clear plastic inserts for the side mounted lights.

The completed tractor.

This bag contained five fruit branches which attach to the trees. Each fruit branch can take four fruit. It also included three of the larger produce trays and the fence sections. Some random decorative bits are included consisting of a blue butterfly, a hare and bird nest with eggs in it. It's nice that many of these things have pins or holes in them to keep in place.
There are also three plant pieces for the mellon patch which fit into the smaller holes on the base.
It's better to put the fruit on the fruit branches before attaching to the tree - much easier.

The last bag had the figures, the umbrella, a random mouse, a bird for the nest in the previous bag and the apples, lots of apples! 20 apples is a good amount for a set this size, 12 red and eight yellow.
Nice prints on both figures, the woman has a hat that matches her shoes and a big loose plait.

From the back.

Set up similar to the box art.

Of course it's always better to have at least two. ;)

One of things I liked about this set is that most of the set could be placed on the base and not fall off even when the base was turned upside down. Even the melons can be pushed under the melon patch leaves which holds them in place.
The base has enough small holes to allow good variation for things like the melon patch and fences. The four larger holes could take a row of trees or fern or other suitable sized items and the base is plain enough to have multiple uses.

The one thing I thought didn't fit was the umbrella. I guess it could be used to shade the workers while they take a break but someone would have to carry the thing to the harvest site which would be a pain in the proverbial and there are fruit trees to shelter under. Likewise for the harvest itself. It's growing in the sun so why shade it after picking it?
I also thought the woman should have her bib overalls continue around the back because it's unlikely for someone to have their shirt hanging over their trousers at the back if the trousers include a bib on them. Otherwise a very nice set.

I wish they'd change the contour of the bases so that the bases would better match up, even with a base of the same type, if you wanted to place them in contact with each other.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Country 6870 Orchard harvest
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 13:48:46 »
Thanks for the detailed review!

I really like those melons...

I also thought the woman should have her bib overalls continue around the back because it's unlikely for someone to have their shirt hanging over their trousers at the back if the trousers include a bib on them.

It's a problem with many klickys, unfortunately... those half belts and shirt prints tend to look a bit silly, imo.

I wish they'd change the contour of the bases so that the bases would better match up, even with a base of the same type, if you wanted to place them in contact with each other.

Come on! Then people could actually be tempted into buying two of them! GASP! Gods forbid! More money. Yuck.

::) ???

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 19:25:26 »
It's a great little set, I love the watermelons. I will have to go look at my tractor tread now to be sure it's on right, I didn't think about directions when putting it together.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 09:33:42 »
Bases are one of those things I don't generally like. Often they're too specific to the set they come with though I'd still like to get that odd steck base with the trapdoor at some point. Not the new version with the darker stone but the older one where the stone matches the colour of regular steck stone walls. It looks like it should be a good base for a tower or small house once its design flaws are overcome.
There are some really nice forests out there that use the plainer bases and this one would be useful for such.

Taking another look at it I think the trees should be taller, at least the shorter one, though easily fixed with an extra trunk section - like the earlier orchard trees came with. ::)

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 15:49:39 »
Those watermelons are adorable!