Author Topic: The End of the No Licensing Era  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
The End of the No Licensing Era
« on: February 05, 2017, 19:10:35 »
I felt this needs to be recognized for the epochal change that it is.

Geobra's "no licensing" stand gave PM a special charm. It stood out from the common ruck of toys because it left more space for the imagination. PM also felt more "clean" somehow, more honest, in that they weren't just cashing in on a temporary media event but really building a long term brand and a playworld that could be extended without borders.

They gave in on other fronts over the years - no dinosaurs was pnce a rule, but it was broken - but on licensing they stood firm.

That's changed with Horst's death and I can't help but feel that something significant has changed forever. They've made a Faustian bargain and there's no going back.

It makes me sad.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: The End of the No Licensing Era
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 20:03:46 »
Well, no toy line licensing. They did license corporate brand names - Shell oil, Pirelli tires, Blaupunkt, obviously BMW and Porsche. Last couple years NHL. They just didn't do media properties. So that is a change, but lets not pretend they were some ethically pure entity standing athwart worldwide branding and yelling stop. They just had previously made the decision that media licenses cost more than they would bring in extra revenue. Obviously if media licensing didn't work LEGO would be out of business now, and instead they have become bigger than Playmobil especially on the world stage. Playmobil has always been unable to really get a foothold in the US market, as well as many other international ones. Going for media licenses is one way to try to reach into those markets in a new way. I was surprised that the US 2017 catalog doesn't have the licensed lines in it. I assume they are coming out here but maybe not, it may be that Playmobil only has a license for German release and not for international? We will know after US Toy Fair I guess. So if say Ghostbusters and Dreamworks Dragons aren't going to be sold internationally - how many of you collectors would go out of your way to buy some of those licensed sets? If you would do that for even one, then decrying the change is a bit hypocritical.

The one constant in life is change. If Playmobil didn't keep trying to find new ways to reach customers it could well eventually go away entirely. I don't think that's what any of us want. If you look at this year's new catalog there have been some clear shifts in focus, but the majority of it is still the same playworld lines of one sort or another and all of it still is in the same scale and can be used with every bit of Playmobil you already own. For me the far more significant shifts that are of concern are the speeding up of the release and discontinuation schedule and the fact that not all themes are now being released in all markets. As a collector that is a way bigger deal to me than if they add a few lines of media-centric licenses.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 20:08:06 »
They just didn't do media properties. So that is a change, but lets not pretend they were some ethically pure entity standing athwart worldwide branding and yelling stop.

Of course. And your other points are well taken - there are bigger sea changes afoot. But I have picked this change out as a signal, as it's plainer to see.

I'm  not opposing the licensing (though I am not interested in any of the licensed sets), I am just expressing my sadness. Change is inevitable but so is the pain it causes.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 21:37:05 »
Lego was nearly broken by its licensing arrangements at one point, so success isn't guaranteed.  But I also see this and events in the last few couple of years as marking a change, and not one for the better.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Redmao

• Playmo Lover
  • Playmo adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 14:56:48 »
There's nothing to fear.
Playmobil won't stop producing original sets because they got a few licenses.

Figures shown from Dragons and Ghostbusters are still sporting the original klicky face and not cartoony painted eyes. They still have the normal klicky construction as well.
It's not like they produced figures that didn't go with the rest of the Playmobil line.

The Dragon line will compliment the Knights line up while the Ghostbusters sets will be nice additions to the City Life and City Actions themes.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 15:05:34 »
Figures shown from Dragons and Ghostbusters are still sporting the original klicky face and not cartoony painted eyes. They still have the normal klicky construction as well.

Yeah.. those they left for the Super 4 line..  >:(

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 22:09:06 »
Horst and Hans were also originally against aliens and ancient Romans.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 03:21:58 »
Horst and Hans were also originally against aliens and ancient Romans.

MADMEN

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 06:07:02 »
So if say Ghostbusters and Dreamworks Dragons aren't going to be sold internationally - how many of you collectors would go out of your way to buy some of those licensed sets? If you would do that for even one, then decrying the change is a bit hypocritical.

I wouldn't. Does that mean I'm allowed to complain?  :P
Ghostbusters aren't interesting at all. HTTYD is kind of cute. I might get Hiccup and Astrid with respective dragons for my niece, if they come here and I can use a coupon. Maybe. If I have to pay international shipping on top of the licensing fee, nope.  Toothless isn't that cute. I definitely don't care for the NHL sets. It will be interesting to see how the licensing scheme works out. Will movie fans go for Playmobil sets or will they stick to the usual toy brands with licensed sets?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:00 »
Toothless isn't that cute.

Is TOO.  :P