Author Topic: Set 5800- does it exist?  (Read 984 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Set 5800- does it exist?
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:05:03 »
This Duopack from 2009 may or may not exist. None are for sale (or have sold recently) on the eBay sites I checked. The only images of the set on Google Images (and the picture in Collector) show the legend 'XX Pc' (unknown number of pieces) on the pack, suggesting this was a pre-production image.

Except there is one image showing the two figures removed from the pack. The image link is broken but I have attached a screenshot. Following the webpage link took me here where Rauskas had done a review of the set, though the only picture in this topic now visible is one of the 'XX Pc' pack. If it wasn't for that image of the figures removed from the pack, I might have suggested this review was based on the promotional image of the pack.

Anyone good at Brasilian Spanish, could you check that reference? The contributor said 5800 comes up from US and Submarine sellers, so lost me and Google Translate at that point!

Or if anyone knows the Roman sets well, could the figures in the attached photo have come from elsewhere?

Or if you have the duopack, show us a picture?

I don't want to buy this duopack BTW, just interested in 'phantom' sets, those featured in catalogues but never released, like 5799, ACW duopack shown at the same time as 5800 but never apparently released.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Set 5800- does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 12:55:19 »
Submarino was an (online) shop for a while. At least it didn't last here in Portugal, afaik. I did get some cheap playmo from them (along with a Bon Jovi cd and dvd, I think).. I believe it was in Brazil too.

From the comments on the review, the set did exist, cause more than one person mentions buying it "whenever they see it", for troop building.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 14:21:40 »
Ah! Thanks for the explanation, Tahra. That makes sense about Submarino and thanks for confirming the existence of the set in reality, at least going by what people said about it.

I shall refrain from commenting on Bon Jovi (in case I have to reveal my own taste in music... :-[)
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 20:33:00 »
I don't have that set. I think I saw it in searches but skipped trying to find it because both figures are identical to figures in other sets. So there's nothing new.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: