Author Topic: Full Skirts  (Read 3318 times)

Online GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Full Skirts
« on: August 21, 2016, 13:59:51 »
When the first Playmobil fairytale castle, set 3019, was released in 1998 this was also the first release of a 'full skirt' to fit over the lower half of a klicky, in this case a white-haired queen.

Since that time, many more 'full skirts' have been produced. The current count stands at 77 different skirts (see picture below) on 90 different klickies in 91 sets (68 ‘standard’ sets, 15 Mystery Figures in 9 of the 10 Series to date, 6 Girls’ Magazines, 2 sets with 8-digit numbers).

Due for release in September 2016 are a further 8 skirts in 6 sets, though I think the one in 6853 is a repeat of the one in 6626. I also haven’t included the princess 30796353 as I am waiting for a certain Special Sale in October…

What to call them?

Crinolines, fathingales, panniers, hoop skirts, full skirts, big skirts, reifröcke (the German word translates literally as 'full skirts'). The first three terms may refer to the undergarments and engineering used to support the actual skirt.

Types

There are five types of Playmobil 'full skirt'. The rear half is shown on the right hand side in the following  pictures.

1. Standard, front panel (first seen in 1998): 39 examples. Hole for bow at the back. Usually printed on the front.

2. Crenulated hem (first seen in 2005): 8 examples. Usually printed on the front.

3. Child (first seen in 2005): 3 examples. 2. small bows at the front. No printing.

4. Bell-shaped (first seen in 2010): 26 examples. Usually printed on the front.

5 Tucks and Bows (first seen September 2015): 1 example. 2 small bows at the front, 3 at the back.

Here are the 77 skirts with the number of the sets in which they were found.

A set number in brackets shows a set which had the same skirt but on a different klicky, including six ‘Quick’ figures (which I haven’t numbered). These were figures given away in Quick restaurants (France, Belgium, the Netherlands mainly) in 2016. I am very grateful to Birdie for her tireless efforts in tracking them down and sending them to me. :wave:

Identical skirts appear on different klickies in the following pairs/ trios of sets:
4165 and 4257 and 6253
4137 and 4258 and 4249
4777 and 4338
5055 and 5052/5144/5985
5285 and 6378
5756 and a Quick figure
5163/80525 and a Quick figure
5475 and a Quick figure
5476 and a Quick figure
4781 and a Quick figure
4781 (second skirt) and a Quick figure
[5854 and 5148 actually have the same klicky , although in 5148 she was given a clip-on collar]

Three skirts are shown on mannequins, which is how they were released in their original sets.

Skirts with 5-digit set numbers are all from Girls' Magazines, as follows:
80518 Magazine no. 1 (No. 3 of 2012)
80525 [identical with 5163] Magazine no. 2 (No. 1 of 2013)
80535 Magazine no. 5 (No. 4 of 2013)
80538 Magazine no. 7 (No. 1 of 2014)
80552 Magazine no. 12 (No. 6 of 2014)
80554 Magazine no. 13 (No. 1 of 2015)
80568 Magazine no. 19 (No. 1 of 2016)

Skirts with 8-digit numbers are figures which have no set numbers:
30791943 (40th anniversary klicky) and
30898282 (a give-away figure, famously worn by Tahra’s avatar!)

Here are some larger pictures, showing the front and back of each skirt and all 90 klickies. Most klickies had ‘long skirt legs’ under their full skirts, but a few had trousers/ leggings to allow them to ride a horse. The lady in 6626 has bare legs.

Here are the six Quick figures (thank you Birdie!)

All 77 skirts arranged by colour:
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Online GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Full Skirts
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 14:00:37 »

The old queen thought it would be a good idea to invite all the other 89 ‘ladies’ to a party at her place. Each ‘lady’ had to bring a male partner (very conventional….), but the three winged ones didn’t bother…

Next morning…

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 14:14:03 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

FANTASTIC WORK GRAHAM!

:love:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 14:36:42 »

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 16:02:11 »
Wow, what a great resource (and tremendous amount of work!)  Great job!

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 17:04:17 »
Really interesting, and superb work GB! Love that drunken soldier at the end - hilarious.

I don't collect the skirts myself but I do like them, I think they look really good and work well. They also help the klickettes stand up :D

PS had never heard the term "farthingale" before! PLAYMOFRIENDS IS EDUCATIONAL
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 17:05:58 »
Great collection Graham. You are aware of the thread on the same topic at Klickywelt by Playmo-Family? She includes the part numbers for everything there as well. It's at this link It is just the skirts and related bows etc and not the figures themselves though.
Also tangentially related, over at Klickywelt there is a similar thread about the other clothing that clips onto klickies - the new dresses etc. It's by Juliane and is at this link.

This is one of those topics, like plants that appeals to my collector instincts but I have managed to stay out of for fear of having too much going on at once. Animals and shields are enough to keep me busy and broke.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 20:47:45 »
This is what I mean with Playmoscholarship! Hats off, GrahamB, many thanks!

When the first Playmobil fairytale castle, set 3019, was released in 1998 this was also the first release of a 'full skirt' to fit over the lower half of a klicky, in this case a white-haired queen.

I must confess that these parts are not entirely my cup of tea ( :knight: :roman: :egypt: :viking:), but find this most interesting.

reifröcke (the German word translates literally as 'full skirts')

There are native speakers here who will know better but I suspect that the first syllable of Reifrock has to do with Reifen. If correct, Reifröcke is the exact equivalent of hoop skirts.

Apologies for annotating in margin and many thanks for this amazing collection.

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 06:04:45 »
Brilliant!!! :wow: :wow: :wow:
This makes me wonder why on earth I don't have more of these ladies and girls... They look fabulous together.

What a great resource AND beautiful photos AND hilarious party pics.

For lack of better phrasing: I love it  :love:

I am proud to have helped a tiny bit in realising this detailed guide to full skirts ;D Of course you are more than welcome. Anytime  :wave:

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 08:18:31 »
Great work! This is a fabulous resource.

And there are so many gorgeous skirts I've missed!  :(