Author Topic: Kirkbean Playmobil Festival 2016  (Read 12260 times)

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
Kirkbean Playmobil Festival 2016
« on: May 19, 2016, 10:40:42 »
Having seen a comment recently about last year's event I realised that I hadn't posted anything about this year's festival.

It is due to take place from  Friday 22nd - Monday 25th July.

I am a little behind in the organising as my husband Sandy passed away suddenly at Easter.  He was a great supporter of the event and I know he would have wanted us to carry on so it is giving us as a family something to look forward to.

We are being joined once again by Gordon (playmofire) whose display this year is a variation of his Island Railway and Walter (Walt's-Trains)  who is bringing his Winter display.

As a family we are producing four displays ourselves.
I have been asked to repeat my Hogwarts and Hogsmeade diorama, hopefully with more students - perhaps on one of the Hogsmeade visit days. 
Our other dioramas include a sea battle of sorts - Sandy was going to help with that so I am still planning what to do (any ideas would be appreciated!)
Also a type of farm/fun park diorama and a dinosaur/stone age themed one.
In addition we are having small nursery rhyme scenes dotted around the hall.

Lots to do, not helped by the fact that a lot of my Playmobil is in storage and I have to try to remember what I have and try to work out what more I need to obtain.

If anyone can get along to visit (or help set up in the week before the event) you will be made very welcome.   :)
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
Re: Kirkbean Playmobil Festival 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:40:02 »
Wonderful Elaine!  I was just wondering about Kirkbean, so glad you are proceeding with the tradition, it is the highlight of the summer.   :)

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:50:11 »
So sorry about your loss :(

Though I can't see it in person, looking forward to pics from your displays. You always have great ones.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 14:47:44 »
That is very sad news about Sandy, Elaine. I hope preparations for Kirkbean may be good for you as a family, but it will no doubt seem very different this year, like everything, I guess!
I would love to come and help out, but I fear my own family commitments will make that difficult. One day maybe!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 17:31:28 »
Glad to hear you're going to carry on and do the show this year Elaine, since it's what he would have wanted. I know it isn't easy under the circumstances. Hopefully it will be therapeutic for you and your boys.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 18:34:09 »
Sorry to hear of your loss Elaine.  I am glad to know that you will be carrying on in his memory.  I LOVE to see the dioramas that you share from the festival.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 21:42:16 »
Good on you for keeping it going :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 17:41:26 »
Great to hear you will be continuing the tradition Elaine.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 08:34:03 »
I wish you lots of success with this year's festival, and I hope it can take your mind off the grief, even if it is for little bits at a time.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 13:08:41 »
The Islands Railway, as Elaine said, will be basically the same but with the addition of Boris Island Airfield and Golf Course.

At the castle, there will be a small tournament re-enactment scene, and I also hope to incorporate a diamond crossing into the track layout.  The latter is the result of overhearing two ladies saying that the train was "wriggling around less" than in 2014 and so the layout was less interesting.  (In 2014, there was a diamond crossing.)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”