Author Topic: Family diversity  (Read 16074 times)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
Re: Family diversity
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 23:52:54 »
Seeing how I mainly collect medieval, most of my clickies are white but in that theme it makes sense. Still, I do gather some middle eastern clickies and such to act as merchants, travelers and to represent the southern part of the world. Most of my non white clickies come from the pirates that I collect to a lesser degree.

I'm pretty sure though that Geobra has released several families where some clickies where tanned and some where not, which could actually be regarded as a mixed race couple.
And with larger sets that feature various kids and adults its easy enough for children to put them together as a family regardless of race.

Like a city set featuring a white mother, white child, and an asian man. Plenty of children might make that asian man the father. It's all open to interpretation. In the end its still a kids toy though, so its not that weird for them to create families of clickies that have the same ethnicity since that is the majority. With pretty much any concept children's toys tend to go with the shape that is most familiar to them. There is no ill intent behind that, no hidden message about Geobra being against less common pairings.

Just have faith in children. They will put clickies together for different reasons and may often not consider skincolor in this unless their parents are eager to point it out.
As kids me and my sister often put Prince Edward the Lion, a white prince with lots of gold, together with the indian looking snake lady from the circus because she was wearing lots of gold too. To us that seemed a common interest, we made them both obsessed with gold jewelry.

We also made the pink shirted curly blonde haired tower herald gay because.. well he looks very feminine. While we never gave him a love interest, I imagine we would have given him that if there where gay couples in our family. But to us he was just a harmless comic relief who was never seen as any less than other clickies. I think he was one of our favorite clickies even because he was a lot of fun.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 00:31:14 »
Just have faith in children. They will put clickies together for different reasons and may often not consider skincolor in this unless their parents are eager to point it out.

This is true. I notice the little girl I tutor/babysit often puts klickys of different skin colors together as families. It's nice to see that she doesn't think about such things.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 07:19:31 »

It was an interesting thing to look at and realize that the diversity really isn't there.

And that applies to many communities, even countries, in the real world.  A more or less uniform skin colour, hair colour etc., is the norm for many people because that's the way it is. 
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 07:22:24 »
Seeing how I mainly collect medieval, most of my clickies are white but in that theme it makes sense. Still, I do gather some middle eastern clickies and such to act as merchants, travelers and to represent the southern part of the world. Most of my non white clickies come from the pirates that I collect to a lesser degree.

I'm pretty sure though that Geobra has released several families where some clickies where tanned and some where not, which could actually be regarded as a mixed race couple.
And with larger sets that feature various kids and adults its easy enough for children to put them together as a family regardless of race.

Like a city set featuring a white mother, white child, and an asian man. Plenty of children might make that asian man the father. It's all open to interpretation. In the end its still a kids toy though, so its not that weird for them to create families of clickies that have the same ethnicity since that is the majority. With pretty much any concept children's toys tend to go with the shape that is most familiar to them. There is no ill intent behind that, no hidden message about Geobra being against less common pairings.

As kids me and my sister often put Prince Edward the Lion, a white prince with lots of gold, together with the indian looking snake lady from the circus because she was wearing lots of gold too. To us that seemed a common interest, we made them both obsessed with gold jewelry.

We also made the pink shirted curly blonde haired tower herald gay because.. well he looks very feminine. While we never gave him a love interest, I imagine we would have given him that if there where gay couples in our family. But to us he was just a harmless comic relief who was never seen as any less than other clickies. I think he was one of our favorite clickies even because he was a lot of fun.

Rhallus writes a lot of commonsense here.  Maybe we should stop looking stop a child's toy with adult eyes.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 07:28:04 »
The world IS changing. When I was in primary school, there were TWO black kids in the school. One in my class, one in my sister's.. they were also related.. cousins, I think?

I quite remember the one in my class was older than the rest of us, and he could swear! :o  We had no idea of the meaning of the words, but... well... a success ;D

(Ah, kids  ::) )

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 09:08:30 »
Even if they don't mix them up, I really hope we do get more families (or sets of children). I want the option to increase diversity in our collections without ending up with large pieces I don't want or ending up with a ton of twins. The people I buy PM for have at least three ethnicities, minus one (adopted) kid who has an Asian father and a Hispanic mother and lives both in the US and in Asia. Uniformity is foreign to us. My city and state too - there's no majority racial group (no single group constitutes more than half the population).

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 09:23:51 »
In elementary school there where no black children at all, I don't think there where any in kindergarten either, I would have remembered.

In elementary school there was a chinese girl in our class called Ying Ying, and I believe she had a sister a few grades lower called Ting Ting. Might have been a little brother too, I'm not sure. They moved away at some point so I never saw them again after that. While those names did strike us kids as a bit funny, she was not teased with it. She was just a quiet girl who did not really stand out in any way, but there where more quiet girls like that. As far as I know she was never treated any different by the other kids.

Later in elementary school we had a new girl, from Iran and she did not fit in that much. Was a bit fiesty, I believe she could be a little agressive and scratched another kid once, and occasionly said something in her own language. But she did mellow in time. Not sure if she finished school with us or left earlier due to moving away or such. I can't really remember. Initially she was not liked due to her personality though but that had nothing to do with skincolor. Later she did make friends.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 11:35:03 »
So many projections

I live in the us. As a kid I grew up in a track house (suburb) a recent build. Every single house was a diffrences ethnicity. A scottish family, an English, Canadian, Persian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, we were Russian, what people would call American, many many in a small neighborhood. We all got along and I personally played at almost everyone, we were just kids playing

Now if the adults could have given us toys to teach us to honor and respect of those diffrences perhaps when we grew up ( today) we wold not all be fighting in the sand box of life

We were given gi- joes, transformers, barbies, I preferred collecting matchbox (tiny metal cars) to build micro worlds or I collected n scale model trains to build dio's.

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 11:42:01 »

Just look at the set facts. Try looking at them with out the blue goggles on.

It's similar to installing positive body images on young girls. If all one see in stores, magazines advertisements (propaganda) is skinny bodies .....well ask a woman who was subjected to it and be curious to find out facts, not install projections
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 15:59:02 »
There simply is no ill intent behind this. Geobra is not part of a conspiracy that says people should only marry with those of their own race and should have both a boy and a girl of about the same age, and on rare occasions a toddler that may be either gender if you want to look at it that critically. They don't tend to release families with only sons or only daughters after all.

Seeing how all bald clickies are pirates you might as well twist that into saying that Geobra thinks bald people are criminals. And should all wear colorfull bandanas.