Author Topic: How clone parts and made new parts for Playmobil  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Warhorse

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • The Faithful Norman
    • Warhorse Miniatures
How clone parts and made new parts for Playmobil
« on: November 09, 2015, 18:28:19 »
Ok, I have been doing customs for the last 3 years now. After collecting Playmobil since the 1970's, I started customizing about 3 years ago. About a year & a half I started cloning and making new items to create. I have to go to my other computer to add more pictures for this guide later this week. But I will start it off with this video, which is the way I started. I use the epoxy green stuff mainly, but I like brown stuff better. It is hard to find now, but green stuff is good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx_N3dAIufY

Vincit Veritas

Offline Warhorse

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • The Faithful Norman
    • Warhorse Miniatures
Re: How clone parts and made new parts for Playmobil
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 23:37:03 »
I started using Kneadatite® Brown/Neutral and Green Epoxy Putty Tape. First by sculpting beards, making chain mail shirts and some other things like a big club. I got more sculpting tools and Blue Stuff Instant Mold. You can use it to make a one side mold or 2 sided molds. I am in the trial and error phase with both the mold making and sculpting. But have gotten some nice results for a novice. I will break down the products that I am using below.

Kneadatite Brown epoxy I have used to make the beards and chain mail. You mix two equal size pieces together and after an hour it hardens up. So you have an hour to try to make something. I have not used it to cast anything yet but will try in the future.

The Blue stuff is great and easy to use. You heat up a cup of water in the mircowave for a minute and a half, then put some Blue Stuff bars in the water for about a minute or till it gets soft. Then put the part you want to mold into the Blue Stuff and wait a few minutes. Take the part out of the Blue Stuff and put the epoxy that you made into the mold. Wait about 5 or more hours and pull out. After about 24 hours, your part should be real hard. This will be great for cloning certain parts and is not to hard to do. I will post some pictures and answer question later. Thanks for reading  ;D

Here is a new beard design that I put together. Copied the back of a hair piece and then added it to a existing beard. Tried a few other things, it's trial by error. Next is to trim off some extra bits and then paint these beards up. Some of this beards I sculpted and added to beards, then painted. I going to start on some new designs and see if I can make some other things. It's all trial in error with making new things, but is rewarding.

Vincit Veritas

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 04:57:41 »
I like the idea of the elongated beards! Brilliant!

I wish Geobra would make similar ones - I like to collect original parts. Hope you inspired them already!

Cheers,
HDL

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 14:51:10 »
I haven't come across that blue stuff before, Warhorse. You seem to be getting some good results when making small parts, so I must give it a go.

I get so frustrated trying to find some of the specific parts which are missing from the secondhand PM I buy. I have been looking for this part for about three years- its from set 3897 and a blue version is available from DS, so I could use that, make a mold and create a new one in green for my set. (Or perhaps just get a blue one and paint it green?)

I also tried using FIMO (hardens in the oven) and a Plaster of Paris mold to make a missing rock from pirate island 3799, but the result was not very good!

So respect is due to you for your excellent results!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 14:58:17 »
Thank you for the tutorials... I never saw that blue thing, but I'm tempted to give it a go..

Your work looks great...

Questions...

Are the pieces you make the same as the original? I mean, don't they break? My experience with milliput doesn't leave me confident about making a long beard, for example...

Is that brown "Kneadatite® Brown/Neutral" any different?  Is the "original" color of that (unpainted, I mean) the beard that is on the klicky on the pic with all the beards?

Offline Warhorse

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • The Faithful Norman
    • Warhorse Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 17:33:20 »
I like the idea of the elongated beards! Brilliant!

I wish Geobra would make similar ones - I like to collect original parts. Hope you inspired them already!

Cheers,
HDL

So do I, I wish they would use some of my ideas.
Vincit Veritas

Offline Warhorse

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • The Faithful Norman
    • Warhorse Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 17:35:54 »
I haven't come across that blue stuff before, Warhorse. You seem to be getting some good results when making small parts, so I must give it a go.

I get so frustrated trying to find some of the specific parts which are missing from the secondhand PM I buy. I have been looking for this part for about three years- its from set 3897 and a blue version is available from DS, so I could use that, make a mold and create a new one in green for my set. (Or perhaps just get a blue one and paint it green?)

I also tried using FIMO (hardens in the oven) and a Plaster of Paris mold to make a missing rock from pirate island 3799, but the result was not very good!

So respect is due to you for your excellent results!

I think you could make that part, using the Kneadatite and blue stuff mold. I think I have that part somewhere, if I come across it I will send you a message.
Vincit Veritas

Offline Warhorse

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • The Faithful Norman
    • Warhorse Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 17:40:45 »
Thank you for the tutorials... I never saw that blue thing, but I'm tempted to give it a go..

Your work looks great...

Questions...

Are the pieces you make the same as the original? I mean, don't they break? My experience with milliput doesn't leave me confident about making a long beard, for example...

Is that brown "Kneadatite® Brown/Neutral" any different?  Is the "original" color of that (unpainted, I mean) the beard that is on the klicky on the pic with all the beards?

Your right about the milliput, I tried using it to make beards and it didn't work. I switched to using Kneadatite, it hardens and is like plastic. It is not fragile like milliput.
Vincit Veritas

Offline Warhorse

• PCC Member
  • Playmo Enthusiast
  • The Faithful Norman
    • Warhorse Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 17:43:31 »
I have not worked to much with any of these since March, but will get back to making and testing new ideas. I have hand not luck in cloning a beard and using it with my figures. Only by adding to an existing beard piece have I been able to create new types of beards.
Vincit Veritas

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 19:09:00 »
Your right about the milliput, I tried using it to make beards and it didn't work. I switched to using Kneadatite, it hardens and is like plastic. It is not fragile like milliput.

Ah.. and it stays (naturally) in that gorgeous color?  Need to find that stuff... for... something!  :-[