Author Topic: Memories are priceless  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Iclaudius

• Playmo Fanatic
Memories are priceless
« on: August 31, 2015, 15:34:30 »
My two daughters loved Playmobil as children.
My parents, brother and I bought the (now vintage) Playmobil Circus and some sets for their Christmas present one year, set it all up on Christmas Eve and covered it with a cloth.
They were so thrilled with it on Christmas day and it is a treasured family heirloom to be enjoyed by my grandson when he is old enough. The quality is unchanged, still stunning.

Some memories are priceless, nothing would induce me to sell it. I hope you have as much pleasure in your collections?

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
Re: Memories are priceless
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 17:45:37 »
Sure do  :)  I remember the occasions of every set I ever got as a child, who gave it to me etc. And especially the anticipation before!

Mitri sold all his toys at a flee market when he was a teenager, I could never  ;D

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 21:29:09 »
Aw that's good that it's a family treasure passed down through the family can totally understand wanting to pass well loved or fondly remembered sets on and share the memories, hopefully your grandson will also get many more years of  pleasure out of it and take good care of it. 

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:33:12 »
So many memories yes.

Personly I don't know the specifics of every set I received as a child, mostly the most noteable ones.. Or I remember a bit about playing the introduction of the new character when first brought into play.

I really wouldnt know what my very first set of Playmobil was though since there always was a lot of playmobil of my older siblings already.

The training knights Henry, Roderick and Frederick who are the heroes of my stories I received for Sinterklaas. They where my first set of the 90's line of knights which made them extra impressive to me! We had some classic soldiers of my brother but not that many and at the time their shiny armor and weapons didnt look that great anymore.
But now I suddenly had new swords, flails, an axe, a lance, fancy new shields and helmets, cool new capes, and three great looking clickies who could wear a sword in their belts! How could they NOT become my most favorite clickies ever after making such an entrance?  ;D

The Fleur de lis king with his court I saved up for myself, I still remember. They complimented my three favorite knights perfectly after all. My sister loved it too.

Thinking back I really wish I just sticked with medieval but as a kid you can be easily impressed by fancy new stuff.  :lol:

Offline Iclaudius

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 03:57:15 »
I really enjoy the adventures of Henry, Roderick and Frederick, hearing your memories of when you were first given them makes them even more special!

Saving up for something, the anticipation of actually getting the set and the pleasure and sense of achievement when you finally take possession is a great experience. Those treasures mean more than any bigger purchases you might make as an adult, I hope my grandson has that enjoyment too, Rhalius.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 10:22:46 »
Thanks! The three knights pretty much have the same personality as they used to have in my childhood. Roderick being the sensible one, Henry having a short temper and Frederick being a bit of a joker.

The anticipation certainly was a beautifull thing. Many kids around me never saved up much which always made me feel extra proud when I saved up enough for one of the larger boxes. I never was able to save long enough for a castle or such since I did not have that much patience, but those medium sized sets I could manage just fine.

Though I did feel that anticipation with christmas/sinterklaas and birthdays too. I usually asked multible things I really wanted to have and enjoyed the surprise. I still like the surprise with christmas actually, not knowing what I will unwrap so I tend to make a long list.  ;D

While the purchases are not as much of an event anymore as they used to be as a kid, I still cherish them with a little story to celibrate those events. And buying the 3666 was a very special moment since it was the castle I always wanted as a kid. The home castle of my most favorite knights, with many great clickies of their factions with it.  :)

Offline Iclaudius

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 18:11:48 »
I am so pleased you were able to finally buy this special castle, a dream come true.

How lovely to have found one in such great condition and to be  :love:able to settle the three favourite knights into their true home, it must have been given you great satisfaction.

What a great response to my post, I am so glad I joined this website and have found such a friendly community of enthusiasts  :love:

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 20:52:22 »
So many memories yes.

Personly I don't know the specifics of every set I received as a child, mostly the most noteable ones.. Or I remember a bit about playing the introduction of the new character when first brought into play.

I really wouldnt know what my very first set of Playmobil was though since there always was a lot of playmobil of my older siblings already.

The training knights Henry, Roderick and Frederick who are the heroes of my stories I received for Sinterklaas. They where my first set of the 90's line of knights which made them extra impressive to me! We had some classic soldiers of my brother but not that many and at the time their shiny armor and weapons didnt look that great anymore.
But now I suddenly had new swords, flails, an axe, a lance, fancy new shields and helmets, cool new capes, and three great looking clickies who could wear a sword in their belts! How could they NOT become my most favorite clickies ever after making such an entrance?  ;D

The Fleur de lis king with his court I saved up for myself, I still remember. They complimented my three favorite knights perfectly after all. My sister loved it too.

Thinking back I really wish I just sticked with medieval but as a kid you can be easily impressed by fancy new stuff.  :lol:

Can see why you liked those Knights they are great  you get a fair bit with that training set I have now about got one of each plus an extra Fleur De Lis Knight who had the right cloak and helmet although they still need some of the correct pieces. It's good that you give them such personalities and tlel great stories with them.

I know the feeling my sister had older 80's/90's klickies probably before I was allowed any proper Playmobil of my own we had many of the old style grooved figures and the old playground, hospital bed and a camper van. I think some of my first sets might have been my Police man, the early 90's Pirate Ship and Island (later given away as I wasn't playing with them enough or more likely taking up to much space), also possibly my Lion Prince and the Prince on horseback fighting the dragon.

I think having grown up with a mixture of old and new body klickies is probably what gives me such affection for the old grooved klickies they have certain beautiful old style charm about them with their bright bodies in one or two colours and of course as previously mentioned the Playmobil catalogues of old had beautiful artwork which holds many special memories for me probably why I hold my early 90's Rescue Helicopter, Recycling Truck and in particular the gargantuan Fire Engine none of which I had as a kid in such high regard they're beautiful classics to be admired in awe.