Author Topic: Hello from... the oceans  (Read 2386 times)

Offline guidosam

• Playmo Pal
Hello from... the oceans
« on: July 08, 2015, 04:58:06 »
Hi everyone,

My name is Guido and I´m an old Playmobil fan and very happy to have the chance to join this group!

It all started with a 7 klicky construction set which was a present from some friends from Brazil some 38 years ago. My brother and I were delighted and Playmobil turned our favorite toys. Over the years we got many more sets for birthdays and Christmas, mostly Western houses, fort, indians and soldiers. Also some modern era ones, the ambulance, helicopter and the ever indispensable Fire Truck. But I think the thing really got a kick when our grandma bought us the Pirate Ship!  8} With our own savings we then bought the Baker´s and the Rathaus. So we turned to medieval sets.

Adulthood confined the collection to their boxes, but happily it revived when my son was born. Hey, said I, maybe he will like Playmos too! So I bought one of the small medieval forts. Then I  discovered Ebay and many loose pieces found their way to Argentina and I built the Prison Tower and enlarged the fort to Castle. Then came pieces for the other village houses and a wall was thougt necessary to surround it all. By this time my son was already 4 or 5 years old... you can imagine who was enjoying all the playing :P.

Anyway, time has passed, and the second kick I got from a business trip to Germany. I secured a Freight train, and some extra tracks which otherwise would have prohibitive prices for me, on account of shipping costs. Now the whole railroad comprises both European steam locos, the orange shunter and the large red German one, plus several waggons and a two coaches.

This is our main interest now, coupled with a small port we managed to build at the end of the line, complete with a pier cafeteria and a bridge from where to watch the cargo ships unloading the goods with a gantry crane onto the waggons. The port came as a way to show my son some of my own job, being an officer in the merchant marine. Right now I´m at sea, that´s the reason for the strange place to send greetings from!

Well, hello again, and I look forward to being a regular among you all!

Guido.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
Re: Hello from... the oceans
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:06:00 »
Hey Guido! Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum :wave:

All those sets sound amazing, I'd love to see some pictures of your collection. That port/pier/bridge set-up sounds like a dream  :love:

By this time my son was already 4 or 5 years old... you can imagine who was enjoying all the playing :P.

:lol:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:19:42 »
Hello, nice to hear about your first sets.

Personly I cant rememeber my first set since there was already a lot of playmobil from my older brother and sisters. There's film that shows me as a baby chewing on a piece of steck wall and my siblings trying to keep me away from wrecking stuff.  :lol:

I'd love to see your setup, I'm a big fan of the medieval theme too. I actually do like most themes, but space and money constraints mean I have to stick to the favorite ones.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:26:06 »
Welcome from Portugal!

And that setup sounds great - :picsplz:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:08:04 »
A warm welcome aboard from the UK!   :wave: 

Thank you for the detailed introduction and it's good to have another train  fan on the board.  My first Playmobil interest was fire and rescue, but in the last five years, trains have taken over.  Like you, mixing trains with the sea and beach is a favourite theme.  You can see some of my ideas in the links below:

http://s704.photobucket.com/user/playmofire/media/Playmobil/Kirkbean%202011/Forwardsandbackwards.mp4.html

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=11555.0

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=13068.0

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=14136.0

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=10598.0

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 14:28:01 »
Welcome from Canada!  :wave:

Sounds like you and your son have a great collection!

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 16:18:17 »
Hello and :welcome: from Ontario, Canada!

Sounds like a nice collection! We'd love to see some pictures. :)
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 18:23:03 »
Ahoy and welcome!
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 21:44:13 »
Welcome! :)
~Pynedor~

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 00:57:09 »
Welcome from Tortuga ..ehrr.. Moulinsart Castle.
Merchant shipping, you say...  Very interesting!  :captain:  :P

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!