Author Topic: Hi everyone,  (Read 3637 times)

Offline MandyJ

• Playmo Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
« on: November 20, 2014, 11:44:38 »
my name is Mandy and I'm a wife, mother and grandmother.

In truth I am a doll collector, have been for over ten years but I am drawn to shiny new and colorful toys  :D

I'm a big kid at heart and when ever I get the chance I love to play, create diorama's and accessories for my diverse collection of dolls.

I never really thought about Playmobil toys assuming they were solely for young children, I never thought for one moment that adults could enjoy them too ... my bad  :-[

The first Playmobil item I purchased was on the secondary market. It was an incomplete pirate island #3799
I didn't mind that it was incomplete, I just wanted it for the actual island and hut part for smaller dolls.

When I received it I thought this is kind of cool and found myself looking at the other Playmobil products available then after being outbid for an airplane #4310 and airport # 4311 job lot I consoled myself by purchasing the Pyramid #4240, again incomplete as it was pre-loved and at present it houses a 1/12th scale resin sarcophagus with lego add ons  8}

I tried to make 'glow in the dark' areas from old Barbie plastic items but they don't kick out enough light to give the haunting tomb effect I had in mind?

My next purchase was the camper van #5928 and I and discovered that lego Belville figures work well with the scale.

I also wondered if Lundby figures might work and would Lundby and/or Sylvanian Families furniture fit too or is that not PC?
I don't mind mixing and matching if the dio' calls for it.

Now I am eagerly awaiting Christmas day for my brand new shiny boxes of #5575, 5582 and 5586

As space is an issue for me I doubt I shall be purchasing much more unless I find a 'must grab it now' bargain on a flea market but I am looking forward to playing and sharing my dio's and also enjoying your photographs and getting to know you all,

Mandy  :)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Hi everyone,
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:02:04 »
Welcome from Portugal!

:picsplz:

Regarding Sylvanian stuff, a LOT of it fits well for playmobil - though if things are specific for the critters, well... it doesn't. I assume the other way around is also true. Doubt you can fit sylvanian animals (they're sooooo cute!) on playmobil cars, for example. And I'm not sure, but playmohouses may prove a bit small for Sylvanian (I do the other way around, so sometimes things are a bit on the large side)...

Looking forward to pics of the dolls as well - I like articulated figures in general..

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 12:32:26 »
 :wave:  A warm welcome from chilly Pennsylvania.   :)

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 12:42:46 »
Welcome aboard! <*)
~Pynedor~

Offline MandyJ

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 13:15:57 »
Thank you for the warm welcome's tahra, basilsdad and Pynedor. I'm waiting for a new power supply cable for my camera so you may have to wait a while to see pictures.

I did add a few pictures I took on my phone but they haven't come out very clear, what with the lighting etc but there you are   :)

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 15:20:31 »
Hi Mandy, welcome to the forum  :wave:

I'm from Belgium and I'm always on the look-out for non-Playmobil furniture and food and so on, to use in my dios.
Like Tahra said, Sylvanian works really well for some things. A clicky and a Sylvanian critter are approximately the same height, but they have different proportions. So a chair would not match, but a kitchen cupboard would. And the food and drink and accessories, of course.

I look forward to seeing your treasures and how you mix and match other stuff with it  :)  Sounds like so much fun!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 16:06:51 »
Welcome MandyJ (I am not too far away from you in the world).
I think mixing PM and other toys in Dioramas is fine, there are no toy police to stop us! Birdie and others on Playmofriends do this to tremendous effect, as you will no doubt see...
My children all love Sylvanian and Playmobil (not to mention Lego Belville, sadly no longer made), though I personally prefer not to mix them. Sylvanian parts have a real quality feel to them and some are really gorgeous, but I do like the snap-together aspect of Playmobil. I think finding spare parts for Playmobil is easier than for Sylvanian too.
That Pirate Island is a lovely set, my children still have that, though it is a bit dusty now!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline MandyJ

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 17:08:21 »
Thank you Birdie and GrahamB for your lovely welcome's

I am so glad that strict rules are not adhered to here. I joined a 'bricks' forum several months ago and they were very strict and unbending. I wasn't allowed to share pictures of my Barbie mega bloks, if it wasn't Lego logo it was a no go' so needless to say I didn't stay there long.

With the economy how it is at present, I like to try and save money by looking for cheaper alternatives like food etc and it not being brand name isn't important to me. I like to make accessories too so I shall be looking for tips and ideas   :)
Mandy

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 21:36:06 »
Welcome from the Netherlands, Mandy.  Not long until Christmas and the wonderful sets you will have then!

Regarding space: I've found that if you remove items from your living room - like the TV and the hi-fi and armchairs and cupboards and basically everything except a computer and a (Playmobil display) table .... well, stacks of Playmobil fit in just fine.

The Rest of Life can be a bit of a problem, though.  And I'd be reluctant to tell you where my Barbie dolls have been relegated to.
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline MandyJ

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 09:54:20 »
Welcome from the Netherlands, Mandy.  Not long until Christmas and the wonderful sets you will have then!

Regarding space: I've found that if you remove items from your living room - like the TV and the hi-fi and armchairs and cupboards and basically everything except a computer and a (Playmobil display) table .... well, stacks of Playmobil fit in just fine.

The Rest of Life can be a bit of a problem, though.  And I'd be reluctant to tell you where my Barbie dolls have been relegated to.

:lol: :lol: :lol: thank you for the warm and amusing welcome Raven.

I have the spare room for my dolls and our bedroom is my overflow area while my husband enjoys the living room and hallway for his collections.

I collect Barbies too and action figures that I like, Tonner dolls and any other dolls that appeal but I'm having to slow down due to the space issue.

Looking forward to Christmas day too   :)