Author Topic: Guide to removable hair parts July 2014  (Read 1903 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Guide to removable hair parts July 2014
« on: July 03, 2014, 18:44:13 »
I have been trying to create a comprehensive guide to all PM hair types.

A while ago, I produced a Visual Guide to PM hair types, using PlaymoDB images. This contained 133 adult hair style variants, but quickly went out of date as many new hair types were released on Mystery Figures and in other sets.

Then, over a year ago, I saw this fantastic visual guide to hair types created by Juliane on Klickywelt.de.. Juliane recently updated her guide and agreed I could share it on PF. As it is a large file, I have provided a dropbox link (it is in pdf format and prints out to 9 sides of A4). Juliane’s guide shows photographs of 66 hair types, in every colour currently available (272 variants!).

What I like best is the way Juliane has shown 3 or 4 views (front, back, side) of each style, usually the black version, so you can quickly identify the style you have (or want!). Thanks Juliane!  :wave: (I will update this file if and when Juliane sends me updates).
Juliane didn’t include ‘alien’ hair nor hair which is non-interchangeable, such as children, babies and rabbits. She included four styles (10 variants in total) which could be regarded as ‘hair extensions’, to attach to other hair pieces. She used 5 lines for the ‘bald head with hairband’ style, depending on skin colour. Juliane also gives set numbers for many of the styles.

Another great source of hair pictures (124 style/colour combinations for no-hat styles) is on Nic’s Green Man site here. There are also set numbers for each hair type on this site.

Using Juliane’s chart as a starting point, along with hair parts Heather recently listed on PlaymoDB (‘scraped’ from Ersatzteile-Finden: see here) and some careful DS purchases, I have managed to create my own table of all Playmobil hairstyles. I have included all known part numbers and recent prices from Ersatzteile-Finden. This is a work-in-progress and currently prints out to 8 sides of A4.

Which hair pieces are currently available? Key to the shading in the table
The main part of the table contains rectangles filled in three colours. Blank rectangles represent style/colour combinations which don’t exist (yet).
•   dark green rectangles show a part number and DS cost (in Euros: all cost between 0.15 and 0.55 Euro each) for 118 hair pieces. The availability of parts seems to change, so this colour code does not indicate with complete certainty that the part is currently available: please check on Ersatzteile-finden. When I first checked the part numbers of hair pieces (in mid April 2014), 108 were available. Two months later, only 47 showed as available (including 5 shown as not available in April). So with these parts there may be some replenishing of DS stocks when they run out.
•   light green rectangles (18) show known part numbers for hair not currently available from DS
•   orange rectangles (139) show where hair types exist, but part numbers are unknown. Just the colour of the part is included in each box.

Sequence
There are 69 styles in the table (I have included the ‘alien’ hair, two variants of the ‘ponytail at back’ and the four ‘hair extension’ types). I have arranged them on three criteria:
a)   Whether or not a hat fits on top of the hair
b)   Whether the hair is ‘long’ (extending below the line where the neck joins the torso) or ‘short’
c)   Whether the hair is used on male or female klickies (a few have been used on both genders)

So the table arranges the hairstyles (from left to right) in the following sequence:
I.   Female, short hair, hat (5)
II.   Male, short hair, hat (10)
III.   Male or Female, short hair, hat (2)
IV.   Female, long hair, hat (3)
V.   Male, long hair, hat (3)
VI.   Male or Female, long hair, hat (2)
VII.   Female, short hair, no hat (12)
VIII.   Male, short hair, no hat (15)
IX.   Male or Female, short hair, no hat (1)
X.   Female, long hair, no hat (11)
XI.   Alien hair (1)
XII.   Hair extensions (4)

I have included a front view picture of each style, mostly the black version. I have also included one other photo which shows a distinctive view of each hair type. Juliane kindly allowed me to use 14 of her photos for styles I haven’t got. I have cross-referenced to Juliane’s chart by giving a reference number for each style: 1.01, 1.02 etc. for the styles on the first page of her pdf, 2.01, 2.02 for the second page and so on.

Which sets are they in?
Juliane gives some set numbers on her chart. I haven’t attempted to give set numbers, in order to save space. If you enter a part number (without spaces) on Ersatzteile-Finden, recent sets containing that part (if it’s available) are shown.
On PlaymoDB, search for the hair type and colour on ‘Find a klicky’. This will display all klickies in the DB with that hair; to find the sets the klickies come from, click on the green camera symbol and you will be taken to a ‘klicky page’ listing all sets that klicky is found in.  If there is no camera symbol next to a klicky, enter the klicky part number (with dashes or spaces) in the following URL, in place of the part number already there http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/klicky.pl?partnum=30-14-5450.

Names of hairstyles
I have included the names used by PlaymoDB, Geobra’s German names and Juliane’s names for each style, with a few question marks where I am not certain I have correlated the names correctly. Heather has created some new PlaymoDB names for hair styles recently (thanks Heather!) and I have included these, as well as a few names I invented myself (e.g. “short neat bob”).

Colours
There are at least 30 basic colours of hair. Colour descriptions can depend upon the observer, there can be variations between different manufacturing batches and colours can fade. Because they have all been ‘chosen’ by one person, I have used Juliane’s colour classifications (e.g. dark orange for most ‘orange’ hair; separating grey hairs into ‘grey’ and ‘silver-grey’).

Early hair types
Juliane includes alternative brown (braun), yellow (gelb) and orange versions of ‘classic’ male and female hair; these may be from early klickies where the plastic quality was different so the hair often looks paler than more modern counterparts (and they may have faded with age too).
Three or four different molds have been used for the classic male and classic female hair styles. On more recent examples, the top of the head (above the ‘hat line’) has a small flat area at the back.

On earlier molds, this was either a straight line indentation or ‘notch’, a V-shaded notch or a U-shaped notch.

I have also seen the U-shaped notch on the early ‘bun in back’ hairstyle in grey. I think it likely that the various ‘notch’ types were only used before about 1985, on black, brown, blond, grey and orange styles in use back then.

Redesigned pony-tail
A few years ago, Geobra redesigned the ‘high ponytail’ style found on female klickies, presumably because on the older style the ponytail easily snaps off. The newer ones are identical in all respects, but have a reinforced pony tail (see photos). Each colour appears to have the same part number as the old counterpart. I have listed them as separate styles in my table, but they are arguably the same style, one an updated version of the other.

“Wigs”
Some hair parts have been manufactured to be easily removable ‘wigs’, with a cross-shaped piece on the underside. In at least two cases, the same parts are available in the ‘standard snap-on’ style in the same colour.

Here are the eleven wigs I have found, with part numbers where known.  I think it is likely all “chin-length bob” hairpieces are ‘wigs’ (the German name for this part ‘Wechselperücke-Halblang’ means ‘exchangeable wig-half long’) and so are all “shoulder-length loose curls” – certainly all the examples of these two styles which I have checked have been wigs.

•   Wig (hair), loose ponytail (no hat) in black (this is also available in a ‘snap on’ form)
•   Wig (hair), loose ponytail (no hat) in light brown (30 24 4050 in set 4413)
•   Wig (hair), shoulder-length loose curls in blonde
•   Wig (hair), shoulder-length loose curls in red-brown
•   Wig (hair), shoulder-length loose curls in black (30 24 3710 in set 4413)
•   Wig (hair), chin-length bob in black (30 25 5600?, found on 17 female klickies)
•   Wig (hair), chin-length bob in blonde (30 24 3750 in set 4413 and on 4 female klickies)
•   Wig (hair), chin-length bob in grey (30 24 2582 on two female klickies)
•   Wig (hair), chin-length bob in brown (in Special 4697)
•   Wig (hair), chin-length bob in yellow (shown on Juliane’s chart, origin unknown)
•   Wig (hair), styled female (no hat) in blonde (30 24 4040, German name “Wechselperücke-Fönfrisur” or ‘exchangeable wig-blow dried’) as opposed to 30 02 0340, “Perücke-Frau-Fönfrisur” or ‘woman’s blow-dried hairdo’, the snap-on version of the same hair, in blonde and also in other colours)

In conclusion
I was able to include 29 part numbers on my chart by ordering hair parts from DS to check the style and colour, using part numbers revealed by Heather’s data-scraping of Ersatzteile-finden. The following 6 ‘hair’ parts are in PlaymoDB but still have neither picture nor colour.
30 23 7562   Wig (hair), chainmail (probably brown)
30 23 8672   Perücke-Hofdame m. Löch (probably brown, blond or pale blond)
30 24 2602   Perücke-frau-kurzhaar (brown, blond, orange or pinky-purple)
30 24 7052   Perücke-Sportler (probably black, brown, blond, red-brown or pale blond)
30 25 5552   Perücke-Hofdame m. Löch (probably brown, blond or pale blond)
30 25 5972   Perücke-Hofdame m. Löch (probably brown, blond or pale blond)

If you have any corrections or additions to the information, please let me know and I will gladly include them in the table. I will update the files in the dropbox links, so the most up-to-date version is available
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Guide to removable hair parts July 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 18:54:36 »
THANK YOU.

:wow:

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 23:53:00 »
 :omg:  This is tremendous work Graham!  There are so many details I never knew about before - this will be a huge help to the collector community!   :*)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 01:37:34 »
Wow, what a great resource! Thanks!  :)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:29:34 »
an even more astounding library..amazing work and dedication GrahamB! Thank you! :wave:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 08:21:36 »
Wow, quite a few of the hairstyles I dont think I ever saw before!

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 11:03:27 »
Wow, quite a few of the hairstyles I dont think I ever saw before!

Me too! Great work Graham!

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 19:54:30 »
Very useful, excellent job!!!   :clap: :thanks: :clap:

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!