Author Topic: PlaymoDB; Klicky page details missing  (Read 1354 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
PlaymoDB; Klicky page details missing
« on: June 05, 2014, 16:36:30 »
I noticed this a while ago, but I don't know how long it has been the case. Klicky details pages (example below) used to specify 'clothes' (parts such as earrings, glasses, belts, etc.) and 'notes' (sometimes useful titbits of info.), but these are no longer showing. Perhaps this is one of the measures Heather took to make the database continue functioning without crashing the server? The information was there last summer for certain.

Any comments Heather? anyone?

http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/klicky.pl?partnum=k4646

Edit.
Doh! This feature is still there, I just chose a klicky where this data field is empty. Shoot! And  :-[
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 17:22:18 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
Re: PlaymoDB; Klicky page details missing
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 18:46:23 »
Yeah... this is likely to be the last field that will be filled in, since it's pretty much unique to each klicky, and laborious. Body-part colours and styles I can assign in batch: I go through a page of klickies, copy all the numbers of those with brown hair into a spreadsheet, and generate the code to add that characteristic to all of them. I pick away at this now and then, and try to at least get age and sex and hair colour done for most klickies.

Keeping the clothes in a text field along with characteristics is not ideal, since it's not searchable right now. All the clothes I have numbers for, are in Wearable-Accessories, and some of these are set as "subparts" of klickies, the same way body parts are. As an example, the klickies in 5433 have subparts - they showed up on the official site page, so I just assigned them to the right klicky. Going the other way - finding what parts have a certain part as a subpart - was working in the previously working website, so may again at some point. There are an awful lot of clothes that have no numbers though, so there'll need to be some kind of record-keeping besides inventorying them as distinct parts.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 06:58:10 »
Thanks for your reply Heather. And congratulations on becoming a PlaymoAddic, officially!
That list of "wearable accessories" is extremely useful, I will have to try ordering a few from DS...
Searchable fields for accessories, printing, etc. on the find-a-klicky page would be great; it would need several new data fields for each I would think, maybe one day, eh? At the moment, these text fields are sometimes useful in tracking down a specific Klicky, but I often have more success searching the names of klickies from the main text search on the home page (e.g. "White vest").
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 11:29:07 »
Thanks for your reply Heather. And congratulations on becoming a PlaymoAddic, officially!

It took this long?!? Well, I've not very talkative.

That list of "wearable accessories" is extremely useful, I will have to try ordering a few from DS...

Excellent. Some of these are known, even though they have no photos (they'll have colours); I'll work on getting the photos in place where they're known, so you can order and identify the unknown ones. Just to be clear about definitions, "Wearable-Accessories" are not removable without dismantling the klicky; removable wearable items are categorized as neckwear, bodywear, etc.

Searchable fields for accessories, printing, etc. on the find-a-klicky page would be great; it would need several new data fields for each I would think, maybe one day, eh? At the moment, these text fields are sometimes useful in tracking down a specific Klicky, but I often have more success searching the names of klickies from the main text search on the home page (e.g. "White vest").

Definitely. If I can get the subpart mechanism working again, that might be the way to go, with temporary part numbers for the accessories.

Hint to onlookers; the text search also returns text in the "printing" field - "flame" is a good example.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 16:15:36 »
"Wearable-Accessories" are not removable without dismantling the klicky

I thought as much; so that's why cutlass holders go in another category, Wearable (Container) because they can be slid on and off without removing the head.
Presumably 'dismantling the klicky' includes 'removing the hair/wig' in the case of glasses, earrings, stethoscope, stick mike, etc.

Hint to onlookers; the text search also returns text in the "printing" field - "flame" is a good example.

Oh, so that's why 'odd' things sometimes appear in search results :doh:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 19:25:12 »

Good choice of an example for me, Heather, as I'm thinking of a custom firefighting train at Kirkbean in 2105.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”