Author Topic: 3D printing. Don't wait for Geobra to make your dream parts!  (Read 43116 times)

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
Re: 3D printing. Don't wait for Geobra to make your dream parts!
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2014, 20:33:27 »
Hi AgeOwns.
Playmofriends isn't a commercial site, so we don't discuss that kind of topic here. Please use the Private Message service for this.  :)
Best,
A.
Life in the so called space age...

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #251 on: April 17, 2014, 19:34:32 »
Hi all!

I have made another kabuto design. It's another era. The bowl is studded, and the ear flaps are now part of the helmet itself, so there's not assembly for those. The mempo (face mask) is a new part as well, and I made three new crests. I was supposed to get them today but didn't, so I won't have them before ten days now.  :wall:

Two other jingasa also, not sure they'll make it to production, though. That will depend on the price.

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2014, 04:14:13 »
the top 2 Kabuto are beautiful....you purposely tilted the crest like some did...the antlers are more practical and playmo-looking (but cant be too thin..that would not be playmo at all)

the 'tortoise shell' will look prefect in high gloss, with a family emblem and the wearer with a PVC chin-strap riding a horse!

as for the straw hat...it has to sit lower to hide the ridge of the wig right? bigger would be fine too

GEOBRA....how about a Fi?ure? maybe somebody better produce another "Last Samurai" movie first :love:

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2014, 08:06:39 »
Thank you my friend, your conoisseur insight is always precious to me!
I wasn't sure about the diameter of the straw flat jingasa. I wasn't sure either if it should cover the ridge on the wig, those hats are worn very high on top of the head, supported by some kind of small cushion.  Maybe I should sit it on top of a wig without the ridge???
The "tortoise shell" jingasa: exactly the shape it reminded me! It's supposed to be for riders, though I've seen paintings of arquebus bearinh ashigaru with this kind of helmet.
Of course, if I produce all those, the clickies will have chin straps, cut from those wonderful PVC stickers you gave me! ;)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2014, 00:42:28 »
....I wasn't sure either if it should cover the ridge on the wig, those hats are worn very high on top of the head, supported by some kind of small cushion.  Maybe I should sit it on top of a wig without the ridge???

my only concern is how the straw hat can be attached tightly to the hair....when we move these customs, his easiest part to hold is obviously his big hat which would come off (I'm still against gluing) easily,
and since we can hardly see the bottom of his hat, his 'pillow' cant be noticed except by you and me ;)
(this was the same problem I had when making the wide brimmed hats for my Koreans who tied a white bandana on their heads...like the pirate captain....before putting on their hats)

but if you must have this 'pillow' to get the extra height, you might as well make the pillow more visible...wrap a strip of white PVC tape around the 'pillow's edge.

as for using a wig without the ridge this would neither have the accuraccy you wanted with the pillow nor the possibility of making the hat hold tightly (only consolation is that you get the hat to sit higher)

how do you intend to hold the 3D hat down? Would using a new pirate wig with the white bandana be too inaccurate?

As for the tortoise shell helmet....a 'lacquer' black with a gold "Mon" on, will look fantastic on a mounted "Shogun", without much armor (those loose sleeves will do nicely.....can I demostrate it with a photo here?)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 00:47:33 by cheng »

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2014, 10:41:36 »
Yes! Pictures please!  ;D

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2014, 20:31:38 »
Looking great.
On the straw hat, what about attaching to either a bandana/cloth part that fits over the hair or just using a ring to fit down on the hair that would be colored the hair color?

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #257 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:06 »
Thank you for your advice my friend. I think I'll use the second option as it is the easiest to design with Rhino. If the brim of the jingasa come down low enough, the ring might be hidden unless you look up on figure.
But, I want this helmet to look as flat as possible so it doesn't look like my first Jingasa model, that'll require compromises. ;)

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #258 on: April 22, 2014, 23:00:15 »
or just using a ring to fit down on the hair that would be colored the hair color?
or  better still..color it white to simulate the "pillow"

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2014, 08:01:04 »
..As for the tortoise shell helmet....a 'lacquer' black with a gold "Mon" on, will look fantastic on a mounted "Shogun", without much armor (those loose sleeves will do nicely.....can I demostrate it with a photo here?)

thought I could easily fashion a Shogun from my various customs but obody suitable for the post so instead used the body of my future warring Japanese monk with a temporary torso...
of course this western medieval helmet makes him look weird...
speaking of tortoise sheel helmet, can you share a frontal and side elevation 3D drawing with me?
low resolution is fine...I want to try carving one out  ;)