Author Topic: New cargo Train Set 5258  (Read 6825 times)

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
New cargo Train Set 5258
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:36:53 »
I just set up and played with the new Cargo Train Set (5258) and I have to say it's really great. The new 2.4 ghz controller works flawlessly. This is a big improvement over the last version of RC train controllers that accepted alot of interference. It runs on the same RC train track that Playmobil has used in the past and the roling stock is the same too. The lights and sound are a nice addition to the set. They definitely brought a smile to my face. There is an engine startup, running sounds and an air horn. Directional lights are a nice touch. Overall worth every penny I spent. I can't wait to run more of the locos on my layout.

I haven't taken apart the engine block on the loco yet. I'll be looking at the motor and receiver to see if multiple locos can be lashed up. I'm also not sure of how weather resisitant it is. More on that as I experiment...
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
Re: New cargo Train Set 5258
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:47:34 »
I just looked at the instructions today (playmobil added some new instructions to their site) and was surprised to see the engine takes 6 batteries and that they mount from the top with cover held on by a screw.  I'm curious to know how long the batteries last.  Being able to swap battery packs quickly on the 4020, 4010 and 4011 is a good thing.

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 14:46:23 »
hi gloobey, long time no hear!
Could you post a picture that compares the new locomotive to the old red shunter? I would love to compare the sizes.
I will probably purchase around christmass.

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 15:23:24 »

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 16:24:09 »
Thanks for the video link, that's wonderful. I am really wanting this train now. Hopefully it will sell well and they will add a passenger one in the new controller style.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 16:42:07 »
thank you for the video and info, it looks great and we are waiting to add it to our collection. The one thing that stood out was the speed and what looked to be lack of controll of low speeds. It appeared that as soon as the controller was "on" the train shot off. I do not know if the video was sped up at that point as they did with the batteries demonstration.
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 17:19:44 »
This looks like a great train.  It is offered at the German Playmobil site.  Does this mean that it will someday be offered through the US site?  The US site has some track and accessories, but it is pretty slim pickins.   ::)
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 20:14:43 »
It's part of a standard theme so I would think it will be available in the US next year. I noticed that the  battery box had top and front both in English.

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 21:11:21 »
Thanks, Tim. 
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline zugpferdchen

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 22:23:05 »
It's part of a standard theme so I would think it will be available in the US next year. I noticed that the  battery box had top and front both in English.
Better: HERE are the instructions of 5258.PDF (also for the USA)...

Unfortunately, the locomotive has only 3 levels of speed and the slowest is very (too) fast (see the video, posted by highlandcattle, it's the original speed of the loco).
With cars the engine is slower, but shunting with this loco is very difficult.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 22:34:06 by zugpferdchen »