Author Topic: Cleaning torsos the Tahra-way  (Read 18188 times)

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
Re: Cleaning torsos the Tahra-way
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2015, 19:43:38 »
Yes popping is a fantastic method, but before I mastered the technique, Tahra had to show me in real life how it is done.
Maybe a video tutorial isn't a bad idea   :)

Offline Salamander

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2015, 22:55:04 »
Well, it seems to me those methods are really not for fat guys...

That was my point! That I knew so little that I didn't know not to do the fat ones that way!

I've not tried your method though I've read about it!

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:44 »
It's very difficult to find those pen erasers now, at least where I am.

An alternative I read about and just tried is using magic eraser. You get it in the supermarket.
It's a type of sponge which when wet acts like fine grit sandpaper.

I took the print off the head of a clown. The white paint came off first then the black. Took a couple of minutes and worked well.
It doesn't seem to harm the plastic, only the paint.

Will have to see how it is on a larger surface with thicker paint like a torso.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 07:40:52 »
I suppose the erasers are not all that common anymore. The ones I'm using are DECADES old, cause.. well.. they were never very good at their intended purpose. Unless you count poking a hole in the paper as a success.

Anything that rubs off the paint would do...  I find it easier to work with the eraser than the sponge..

The paint comes off in layers, yes. I think some nice effects could come crom that, if we could pull it off consistently.

Sometimes the parts do come off sort of "scratched" :(   In my experience, especially dark blue torsos :wall:

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 09:01:33 »
I suppose the erasers are not all that common anymore. The ones I'm using are DECADES old, cause.. well.. they were never very good at their intended purpose. Unless you count poking a hole in the paper as a success.

Exactly, it's a miracle they're still available at all  :lol:

Still, they're quite common here, I can get them from the supermarket.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 09:34:24 »
I already put out the word at home - any of those found are MINE! :)

Still have plenty. Decades don't seem to curb their effectiveness, thank the Gods... But I do believe I have seen them on the supermarket too..

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 21:23:30 »
In my experience, softer pencil gums (which are usually white) work fine too though some more/harder rubbing is required to get rid off the prints. But they leave no or much less scratches.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 07:26:24 »
In my experience, softer pencil gums (which are usually white) work fine too though some more/harder rubbing is required to get rid off the prints. But they leave no or much less scratches.

Really? I never got anywhere with pencil erasers. Makes sense they would leave less scratches. Time to try again!

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 20:02:59 »
Really? I never got anywhere with pencil erasers.

With the first rubbing there is almost no result so you could have the impression it won´t work. But persist and the print(s) will start to come off, at first just slightly but it improves after a while. These gums are not so handy if you have a lot of torsos (or other parts) to clean, but like said to avoid scratches they are great, and repolishing is also much less needed.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 21:43:55 »
I'm surprised the pencil rubbers work, but I have used them to clean up after using the pen rubber so I guess they do have some sanding property.
Though, when you say awhile, how long are we talking about - ad break, tv episode, movie, marathon evening, days, weeks... ;D

As for the pen rubbers, they're a thing of the past here. Unless there is some specialty store that has them, supermarkets, stationers don't carry them anymore. I'm surprised they were still made after correction fluid (twink) came out. I only used them a couple of times and they were really bad on the paper surface.