Author Topic: On the Eastern Frontier of the Roman Empire  (Read 4907 times)

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
On the Eastern Frontier of the Roman Empire
« on: July 19, 2015, 15:06:54 »
Hello all!

New photo-story, hope you enjoy! :)

120 A.D

The Roman Empire had reached it's peak. It stretched from the northern reaches of Europe to the vast deserts of the east. While things in the eastern side of the empire were relatively peaceful - save for a few pockets of resistance, the marauding war bands of the desert had been pushed back as the result of a series of decisive battles - a military presence was required. The governor of the eastern provinces was joining a detachment of legionaries and other high ranking officials on a tour of new forts recently constructed along the empire's eastern-most frontier.

The camp bustled in anticipation - tomorrow, nearly 50 legionaries and other Roman officers would be departing on a month-long trip, a trip spanning dozens of kilometres, and one that could potentially pass through hostile territory. The prospect of battle always excited the soldiers, and the increasingly agitated mood of the men inside the fort was palpable.

Near the command tent, the general in charge of the mission was briefing the officers. "Right. So, to recap, at the crack of dawn tomorrow, we're off - we can't lose any time under the governor's schedule. Our first stop will be the garrison at Antioch, after that we loop back to Alexandria, and then visit the forces based in Jerusalem. Afterwards, we'll travel to some smaller detachments based along the frontier, then, we're back home. Any questions?"

A junior officer piped up - "Sir, what's the plan should we encounter any hostile forces en route to our destination?". The general considered the question momentarily. "The intelligence we've gathered suggests that we won't encounter any resistance during the trip, but if we do, you all know the score. Should we be trapped by an ambush, form a defensive square, should we encounter enemy forces in the open, engage in a set-piece battle. It can't imagine any other scenarios". The officer was satisfied and nodded his head.

The governor had attempted to keep up in the conversation earlier on and play army officer, but now contented himself in a jug of wine and some assorted berries. Perhaps too much wine. "Yes, lets give those barbarians a kicking they won't forget in a hurry, general!" the governor stammered. The general recoiled instinctively. "Yes, sir." he smiled politely. To the others, he spoke - "Alright, dismissed! Report to me at the crack of dawn tomorrow." The officers streamed out towards the barracks, as did the general, leaving the governor to his drink.

The sun began to peek over the horizon, and the general awoke, as did the rest of the legionaries and officers. As usual, the camp was hectic with soldiers filing into the parade ground and beginning to form up. The general stepped out of his tent and observed the scene. He was having trouble adjusting his eyesight to the early morning, especially as a thin layer of sand, whipped up by a storm that occurred during the previous night settled over the campgrounds. He called out to a nearby orderly - "Torch!". The man emerged with the torch which bathed the immediate area in a warm glow.

Slowly but surely the legionaries formed up into a dense column. The general was worried about the effectiveness of this formation if they were forced into a battle, but it was certainly an impressive sight, he mused.

The sun was clearly visible now and it occurred to the general that he had seen no sign of the governor. He approached a junior officer and asked if he had seen the governor emerge from his tent. "None, sir." the officer spoke with a tinge of frustration. Clearly everyone was ready to get on with the mission.

Finally the governor emerged from his tent, bleary-eyed. "Lets get a move on, shall we?" he announced. "Yes, sir." the general replied. "Now, where is my wagon?" he asked irritably. "Uh, sir, we have prepared a horse for your travels. "A horse? Nonsense! You must have at least some form of transport apart from a horse." the governor spoke with distaste. "Well, I suppose we could organize something..."

Moments later, the governor returned, having removed his toga and only wearing a light tunic. The general had selected two reliable infantry-men to build a makeshift stretcher in order to carry the governor. The men did their best not to show their resentment at being appointed to the task. The officers struggled to suppress their laughter as the governor nearly fell off the makeshift construction.

The general passed on the order to advance, and the column began to move forwards. He was aware that the detachment was already falling well behind the schedule and so he ordered the men to move at double time. He wondered what the consequences of such a delay could be. If there were enemy forces massing to meet the column, any extra time for them to prepare would give them an advantage in battle. Did the opposing forces even know about the detachment's travels? Maybe not, but in any case, the army would have to be on their guard.

To be continued... :roman:

A new instalment should be posted by the end of the day, or beginning of tomorrow. :)
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: On the Eastern Frontier of the Roman Empire
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 15:27:10 »
That was great - love the pics in the dark, very nicely done :)

(that idiot needs Ballista in charge - he burned the noblemen's wagons ;D )

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 15:33:39 »
Very nice start, I like the dramatic lighting. I'm curious what other trouble that governor will cause for the troops.  :)

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 21:51:50 »
That is some beautiful photography right there   :)  Good posing of the clickies too, very... lifelike!

I hope to read more soon.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 01:33:42 »
Incredible stuff. Looking forward to more.

I've started working on my legion again recently, you've inspired me to move forward with plans for stories etc.

One question though: is everyone in that empire left handed?
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 01:56:10 »
Thank you all! New batch of photos will be up in a bit.

One question though: is everyone in that empire left handed?

I realized that as I was shooting today's pictures and was trying to think of a reasonable excuse for the left-handed tendencies of my Romans but came up with nothing. Perhaps the disciplinary measures of the Roman army are such the left-handedness is mandatory for all legionaries and officers? :lol:

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 02:14:48 »
But even the governor holds his cup in his left hand. It's got to be genetic.

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 03:46:28 »
Next part, here we go!

Midday

The sun had only just reached it's zenith; the legionaries were well aware that they would have to endure almost half a day under it's blistering heat, and so the column trudged on. Despite the best efforts of the officers to increase the pace of the infantry detachment, the speed at which they were travelling gradually slowed to a steady walk, rather than the brisk march that the general was hoping for in order to stay on schedule. If it wasn't for the governor... the general reflected with a trace of annoyance.

Speaking of which, just before their departure, the governor had been so insistent on a wagon of some sort that the general had been forced to further delay the column's mission in order to track one down. With the help of his staff he found a very old model in storage, dusted it off, and departed the camp, with the governor in tow. The governor had been dismayed at the condition of the wagon and had been complaining non-stop since their departure, so much so that the general left to the head of the column and with a pang of guilt, had left one of his junior officers in charge of the governor's well-being.

The general was so preoccupied that he failed to notice the column come to a halt. Snapped out of his thoughts, he glanced up and assessed the situation. Now he could see why. Up ahead was a narrow canyon, wide enough for three men at the most. He strode up to the centurion at the front of the detachment.

The centurion saluted. "I suggest that I move forward with half the men in order to assess the conditions in the canyon, sir. I can't imagine that moving the whole army forward is a good idea without knowing the potential dangers of the area." The general considered his suggestion. "Very well, but it would be best if I joined you and your detachment; I am the commanding officer after all." he chuckled. "Yes, sir." the centurion spoke with a smile.

The legionaries rearranged themselves to fit the dimensions of the canyon and soon the column proceeded into the narrow ravine.

The legionaries, acutely aware that the canyon was a near-perfect place to stage an ambush were glancing about the rock walls for any signs of enemy warriors. The general was aware of the nervous tension and was eager to get out of the gorge as soon as possible.

The canyon gradually evened out until the column reached a large, natural rock wall right in the middle of their pathway, about half a kilometre into their scouting mission. After a quick look around the area, both the centurion and the general realized that there was no discernible exit from the gorge, and turned back, returning to the main unit. The general was frustrated at the lack of progress the detachment was making, and was well aware that the trip was falling quite behind schedule at this point. His thoughts clouded by these concerns, he and the others failed to notice a greater threat to the unit emerging behind the shelf of rock.

To be continued... :roman:

The next batch of photos is ready, and a new instalment will be posted tomorrow morning!

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 04:29:06 »
Egyptian shields go the other way round.

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 07:11:05 »
Nice photography - I like the style.