Author Topic: playkingdoms' Xmasy dio 2018 - The Gathering  (Read 3814 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
playkingdoms' Xmasy dio 2018 - The Gathering
« on: January 29, 2019, 21:39:32 »
Well... remember this? :-[

So far.. lessons learned:
  • next time I decide to do a dio for a certain date, I will start four MONTHS before said date. Not four weeks.
  • having furniture stored together (by set/room) is not handy at all. Needs redoing: chairs, tables, beds..
  • when hanging stuff on the flypoles, make sure it's at the right height - BEFORE having the dio almost finished

The furniture part was sorted back then... And with this one, I did handle the flypoles in time... But the first point... :-[   When I said I did not plan a xmasy dio, I meant it!  In 2015, I think I started to work on it around 20 nov.. this time, it was 9 DECEMBER   ::)

Finished the dio itself on 31 dec, but pics, order, pages.. yesterday... And only live today. Still, two days earlier than the other.. I shall consider that a win.

I suppose I will keep to the "xmas is whenever we want" notion  ;D

playkingdoms' Xmasy dio 2018 - The Gathering

Direct pk link: playkingdoms' Xmasy dio 2018 - The Gathering (picture heavy pages - duh)

Hope you like it...

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: playkingdoms' Xmasy dio 2018 - The Gathering
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 00:35:34 »
An excellent and creative diorama! Lots of wonderful details. I really like the use of the flower pots from the current holiday house as storage jars, they are just the right shape really.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:59:07 »
An excellent and creative diorama! Lots of wonderful details.

Thank you :)

I really like the use of the flower pots from the current holiday house as storage jars, they are just the right shape really.

My feelings exactly - was messing in the vegetation tubs, and... uhm...  ;D

Offline Luftgaengerin

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 10:13:46 »
Great diorama, Tahra!! :yippee:

Wonderful details, lots of customs, stories and funny events  :) ...like the woman "fighting" two kids at the same time under the supervision of a dwarf, kids combing and decorating a spider, a dragon with a cosy bird-nest on that huge rock from "Felsenturm" where the Nessies keep their treasures..., ...and even a dragon hugging a troll: lovely!  :love:

I like the use of the flower pots too, and that Storage house is so full, that mouse will have a feast...  :P

The centaurs and all the magical creatures at a Christmas gathering, a fantastic idea! It was worth the wait  ;D
 :clap:   :clap:    :clap:
"Give me that man that is not passion’s slave" - Shakespeare's Hamlet.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 10:47:32 »
Great diorama, Tahra!! :yippee:

Wonderful details, lots of customs, stories and funny events  :)

When I was done, I realized there are few original klickys there...

...like the woman "fighting" two kids at the same time under the supervision of a dwarf,

She is teaching them.. he's just giving (unrequested) advice  ;D

kids combing and decorating a spider,

That was an idea for a fairy dio... but.. it fit.. I used the pincers, of course  :-[

a dragon with a cosy bird-nest on that huge rock from "Felsenturm" where the Nessies keep their treasures...,

Was going  to cover the tower base with rocks, but I had just seen that... "nest material" in a box of non-playmo-but-may-be-useful junk...  :!:

Then there was that little space... perfect for a small nest - and after all, the baby would need a babysitter, right?  :P

...and even a dragon hugging a troll: lovely!  :love:

That is our first dragon, Zeppelin, and he has ALWAYS done that! Squeeshing everyone and saying "LITTLE FRRRRIEND"..  ;D  (yes, I'm nuts, I know).. Initially he was lighting the fire instead of the chicken dragon, since at first I didn't figure a way for him to be hugging someone.. but my sister thought he MUST. So, I redid that part, juggled the trolls some..

I believe all the dragons are represented there (as in mold, not colors, they didn't fit)

I like the use of the flower pots too, and that Storage house is so full, that mouse will have a feast...  :P

:)  Everyone will be feasting!

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:11:10 »
Wonderful diorama!!! I really like how you used the Steck walls around it, a brilliant idea! Furthermore, a lot of details that definitely will inspire others, including me! The rock formation is great by the way, I need to collect more rocks in that dark grey colour. Many hidden spaces are filled with animals, food, stuff, ... it’s really nice to see how you thought of everything. I’m glad you found the time to make a new diorama with a lot of klickies we see in your “the process topic” or “arrivals at playmokingdom”. Finally we meet them at their destination!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 11:15:44 »
Oh and about the easter egg, as a child I loved to watch The animals of Farthing Wood in (Belgian) Dutch. It was a hit in Belgium!
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 11:21:55 »
Wonderful diorama!!! I really like how you used the Steck walls around it, a brilliant idea!

The walls are not part of the dio this time, but useful to hide the messy sides - the "tablecloths" tended to curl, and under the tables it was.. well... ugly. And I don't lack castle walls, so...

In case anyone is wondering, the "towers" on one end are around the roll of "tablecloth" that was left - the brownish one..  :P

The rock formation is great by the way, I need to collect more rocks in that dark grey colour.

There are many rocks just.. jumbled together... it is a LOT harder to do a rock formation than it looks, at least to me, when I gave it a try some years ago (just messing with  the rockies boxes - somewhere in the PROCESS)..

I’m glad you found the time to make a new diorama with a lot of klickies we see in your “the process topic” or “arrivals at playmokingdom”. Finally we meet them at their destination!

;D  Yes :)

(playkingdoms, btw - at the time, playmobil issued some rules for fansite names, and so I changed my "playmoville" to playkingdoms... "playmokingdoms" would be against those rules.. )

Oh and about the easter egg, as a child I loved to watch The animals of Farthing Wood in (Belgian) Dutch. It was a hit in Belgium!

:lmao: I hadn't thought of that! An EASTER EGG on a xmasy dio!!

I had never heard of the book (never saw any series/movie/whatever), but that is what we are reading... ;) 

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 03:41:51 »
Nice work!  :)9
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:06:13 »
I love the dio, Queen T! Lots and lots of pics, so we can admire all the little details. I love that dragon nest and Zeppelin the hugging dragon! I hadn't seen that small bird nest which clips on the side of a building before- can you remember where it's from?

(playkingdoms, btw - at the time, playmobil issued some rules for fansite names, and so I changed my "playmoville" to playkingdoms... "playmokingdoms" would be against those rules.. )

Oo-er, I have fallen foul of that rule then (as well as using the online name of an eBay seller). Still, I think I'll wait until the Geobrapolizei contact me before changing anything!

Edit: and PlaymoDB also breaks the rule (that site names cannot begin "playmo" I am assuming).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:12:57 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)