Author Topic: Playmobil Collector  (Read 6857 times)

Offline sweetking

• x Club Member*
  • Playmo Fanatic
Re: Playmobil Collector
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 13:18:32 »
But the PM official site does give you a complete chronology of all the sets released before 2006, isn't that right?

not exactly, :

Playmobil's site does not list all sets (nearly all standard sets are on the website but not all)
Collector's book offers a good panorama on "foreign klickies" (Antex, Trol, Marx Toys, Schaper, etc.), exclusive sets (Kaufhof, Karstadt, Toy's R us, Real, France Loisirs, etc.), eggs, recent color figures, keyrings, merchandising, catalogues, etc.
Playmobil website just show release date in germany, not end of production date. The collector's book shows start and end dates (in Germany).

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 13:32:52 »
Ok thanks - Ill check it out.

I just wish the PM archive section weren't so lame: they could've least given us hi-res pictures of the front and back covers of the boxes. Especially the back ones. Sometimes you can't make out what is supposed to be in a set, unfortunately.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline grangel

• Playmo Master
  • Medieval military designer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 17:52:30 »
try to find the last edition and buy it for sure!!!

It is your bible for playmos

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 18:15:07 »
Ok thanks - Ill check it out.

I just wish the PM archive section weren't so lame: they could've least given us hi-res pictures of the front and back covers of the boxes. Especially the back ones. Sometimes you can't make out what is supposed to be in a set, unfortunately.

If you are looking for high resolution pics in collector you will not find any. They are small but easy to look at. You cannot tell what is in a set easily, and there is no back box picture. But having that as a guide of what was produced when was produced, makes it,as grangel pointed out, a bible for us  :D :D :D

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 02:05:26 »
Old topic I know, but since the third edition of the collector book came out over 6 years ago, any idea if there is a new one coming out soon. I have thought about buying the third addition on E-bay, but once I found out how long ago it was made I was wondering if anyone knew if a 4th addition is in the works?

Cheers,

James
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 07:43:32 »
Sadly, Axel Hennel, the author/compiler of the Playmobil Collector, died in 2013.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 17:55:21 »
I am sorry to hear that.

Is there a trust? I would assume that the family or a named party would own the rights to the contents of the book. Is it possible for someone else to take up the tourch and carry on with this?

Sincerely,
James C. Byrne
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 19:48:40 »
The publishers may hold copyright or the author's heirs, but it is a massive continuation either way.  There are gaps to fill from earlier years, which must become harder and harder to do as each year passes, and new sets to add, which becomes a more and more demanding task as sets now come and go so quickly. 

In many ways, in my opinion, edition 3 covers the "classic" period of Playmobil almost exactly (it actually continues a few years after 2009). 

By the "classic" period I mean the years beginning with its introduction where there were a number of core themes produced, sets covering the theme well (e.g. figures, vehicles, buildings), with plenty of parts and accessories in them, and requiring use of imagination by the person playing with them.  Over time, sets were phased out and then later re-introduced with added refinements, but still basically following the same approach, a key part being the simple, basic figure which could be turned into different roles simply by changing hair or hats or whatever, something which also made the figures often quite non-theme specific, adding to the play and imagination value.

Increasingly, however, in more recent years, sets have become smaller, the range of items in a theme less, and accessories fewer.  At the same time, the basic figures have become more detailed through printing and interchangeable clothes, both of which limit the need for imagination and also  make them more theme specific.

I would say that the beginning of the end of the "classic" period is when Hans Beck retires in 1998 or when he dies in 2009.  Certainly, with the death of Horst Brandstatter in 2015 and the changes which followed we see the end of the "classic" period.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 20:05:02 »
playmofire,

Thank you for the information, I guess for my needs Edition 3 will help me find what sets I am missing for the themes I am collecting. Are they all in English, I ask because I see two versions on ebay.com/ebay.ca where one is a blue cover and the other grey or is one just soft cover and the other hard cover?

Sincerely,
James

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 20:25:48 »
I have editions 1, 2 and 3, and all have a blue stripe down the left hand side and the rest of the cover pictures of Playmobil figures.

Edition 1 covers 1974 to 2000; edition 2 covers 1974 to 2006 and edition 3, 1974 to 2009.

New information on previously covered years is added (usually detail changes) and new sections are added.