Author Topic: A question about inserting hyperlinks  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
A question about inserting hyperlinks
« on: February 28, 2008, 15:56:31 »
Hi Sylvia!  I have been trying to figure out how to insert hyperlinks with text instead of the actual address.  I checked the F.A.Q. section (very well written, BTW!) and you mention using the Text/hyperlink button, but I think I am only seeing a regular hyperlink button when I try to insert a link.  I am probably being as dumb as toast, but can you help me out?  :help: Thanks in advance! 

- Anne
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
Re: A question about inserting hyperlinks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 17:11:38 »
Like this:

Code: [Select]
[URL=address goes here]text goes here[/URL]
(I used the # CODE button so the brackets would show and not make it a real link to nowhere!)
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 17:59:38 »

Hi Anne,

The bad news is you will have to insert code manually (following Heather's example above) to achieve a text link which conceals the URL.

When I wrote the FAQ, we did have an extra hyperlink button with user-friendly javascript prompts. Unfortunately, when I upgraded the forum last summer I discovered that the code which Hituro and I used to achieve this wasn't compatible with the newest version of SMF. :(

I did ask for help at the Simple Machines support forum, but no-one came forward with any suggestions. They get so many requests over there, the techies don't have time to answer everything, and I didn't want to make a nuisance of myself by bumping the topic too many times. :-[

I guess I could try them again...

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 18:59:25 »
Success!

http://www.playmofriends.com

becomes:

Playmofriends 

so basically, then, you just:
1) insert the hyperlink as usual
2) replace the first ] with =
3) stick a new ] at the end of the address
4) follow with the text you want to use
5) keep the final [/url] at the end

A very simple "work-around" that's probably just as quick as using the javascript thingies, once you get used to it. 
Thanks Heather & Sylvia!   :confetti:
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:00:14 »
A very simple "work-around" that's probably just as quick as using the javascript thingies, once you get used to it. 

Yep! I actually find this method faster, but then I very rarely used the javascript button before so I'd had plenty of practise already. ;D

I'll update the Posting F.A.Q. add all the tips discussed here when I get a moment. Thanks for the reminder! ;)