Author Topic: Train couplers - new vs old  (Read 2160 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Train couplers - new vs old
« on: March 10, 2018, 19:15:25 »
Well.. I know nothing about trains.

Since a fellow playmofriend wants the old "hooks"/couplers, and I don't really care, I need to replace them with the new ones..

I have a new set of the new ones (shown with an old one too):

So.. do I really need to cut that for it to fit?  And... which part?  All of it?

It's kind of a cross thing, do I cut both vertical and horizontal thingies?  I don't like maiming it..  :-[

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Train couplers - new vs old
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 19:17:30 »
Yes, you do need to cut it.  Cut it off flush with the side pieces.  I'll try and find one I've cut and take a photo.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 19:32:48 »
Wenn's für Dich egal ist, dann kannst Du da nix kaputtmachen. Der Nachteil der neuen Entkuppler ist, daß sie seitlich wegschwingen. Damit können sie mit den Gleisentkupplern nicht mehr automatisch ausgelöst werden. Sofern Du sowas eh nicht machen willst, ist es für Dich egal, welche Haken Du nimmst - und dann kannst Du alle vier Zapfen wegknipsen.

If old or new hook doesn't matter to you, you can cut all four. Those new hooks turn away sideways when pushed to an in-rail uncoupling device (there for sure is a proper name for that, but I don't know it). That's why some do prefer old hooks to use automatic uncouplers.

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 19:54:58 »
Wenn's für Dich egal ist, dann kannst Du da nix kaputtmachen. Der Nachteil der neuen Entkuppler ist, daß sie seitlich wegschwingen. Damit können sie mit den Gleisentkupplern nicht mehr automatisch ausgelöst werden. Sofern Du sowas eh nicht machen willst, ist es für Dich egal, welche Haken Du nimmst - und dann kannst Du alle vier Zapfen wegknipsen.

If old or new hook doesn't matter to you, you can cut all four. Those new hooks turn away sideways when pushed to an in-rail uncoupling device (there for sure is a proper name for that, but I don't know it). That's why some do prefer old hooks to use automatic uncouplers.

jj:

Maybe a "between the rails uncoupler".
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 18:37:46 »
Yes, you do need to cut it.  Cut it off flush with the side pieces.  I'll try and find one I've cut and take a photo.

That'd be good, yes  :-[

...  ???  I have no idea what that is....  :-[   We don't have that much of trains... and all rc (except for that old western loco - no idea if it works or not .. and never will)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 19:26:01 »
Didn't get the chance to look today, tahra, so I'll look tomorrow.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 20:19:25 »
Didn't get the chance to look today, tahra, so I'll look tomorrow.

No problem, I'm not in a rush.. :)   Thank you!

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 23:21:33 »
Die Dinger schauen so aus, und weil man sie auf die Schwellen klipst, kann man sie nur bei LGB-Gleisen einbauen, nicht jedoch bei RC-Gleisen.

Quelle: Themt

That's how they look like. And as they're to be clipped between sleepers they won't work save on LGB tracks.

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 08:51:38 »
That's how they look like. And as they're to be clipped between sleepers they won't work save on LGB tracks.

Ah.. ok, so no wonder I don't know of those ;)  We only have RC tracks.

Thank you!