Author Topic: Kirkbean 2014 - train layout The Town and Country Railway  (Read 5884 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Kirkbean 2014 - train layout The Town and Country Railway
« on: August 12, 2014, 21:51:51 »
Despite the best efforts of photobucket to defeat me, I have uploaded a selection of photos of the train layout at Kirkbean this year.

In previous years (2011-2013) I've gone for what is basically an oval style of layout (although in 2011 it had quite a bit of curving around in it and in 2012 it was more of a square with rounded corners).  This year I tried something different - a figure-of-eight approach.

I used a figure-of-eight layout (or, more exactly, two ovals joined with a crossover rather than a pure figure-of-eight) because of what I had read in an LGB booklet that the figure-of-eight layout was loved by children of all ages because it has continuous visual movement with the train snaking its way round the track.  Certainly, I noticed a number of people spending time watching the trains go round from different angles - children and adults - some even moving their head in a figure-of-eight as they followed the train!

So to start with, some overall views showing the shape of the layout.  If you click on the photos, you can see a larger version on photobucket.

First an end on view from above.  This actually distorts the layout because both oval sections are the same size.

A view now showing the town end of the layout:

And the town end again from a different angle:

Now two views of the country end:

It's getting late now (22:50 and I was up at 06:00) so I'll call it a day (or maybe a night!) for the moment.  I'll post more photos, general and detailed ones, over the next couple of days.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Kirkbean 2014 - train layout The Town and Country Railway
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 22:43:06 »
Gordon,

Great display and layout!

Love your town, roadway, foot paths and station.
And, of course no Playmofire presentation could be complete with out the fire brigade ... ;)

Looks like you had lots of fun!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 00:07:55 »
Great looking layout. So you are in agreement that the figure eight form caught people's attention a bit more?

Looking forward to the close ups. Hopefully Fred and Maisie will be making an appearance again this year.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:23:21 »
Great job on putting your train layout together. I can never get enough train time. Thinking about the look of a figure 8 layout makes sense. How the train crosses in the middle certainly would give more visual stimulation. I noticed our layouts gets quite a few people anxious due to running multiple trains at once on the same track.

I would say its time for some more trees on your layout, that is one sad looking camp ground  :lol:. Our layouts are lacking enough trees also and they are damn expensive

thanks for sharing your great work, the kids and adults  must have loved watching the trains
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:51 »
Love this layout, Gordon!  So much going on in a relatively small area.  Of course I zeroed in on the buildings in the town, some very interesting ways that you have customized the houses and shops.  Love the double window panel!

Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:26:44 »
Excellent diorama. Love all the different themes combined.
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 21:44:23 »
Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words, they are much appreciated.

Love your town, roadway, foot paths and station.
And, of course no Playmofire presentation could be complete with out the fire brigade ... ;)

Looks like you had lots of fun!

All the best,
Richard

The roads, town square (in fact, anything grey on the baseboard), Diane painted and I only did the footpaths in the country park and the access road from the level crossing.

The fire brigade had a difficult job, Richard - it took them four days to put the fire out!   :)

Great looking layout. So you are in agreement that the figure eight form caught people's attention a bit more?

Looking forward to the close ups. Hopefully Fred and Maisie will be making an appearance again this year.

Yes, the figure-of-eight layout certainly gets more attention in terms of people watching the trains.

Close-ups will follow shortly, Tim.  It's been a busy day and friends round for dinner tonight stayed later than usual as we were playing with Playmobil!

Fred and Maisie were there, but got a bit lost.  I took a custom dining car based on the Panorama Express coach and Maisie and Fred were on that.  However, I only ran it for a short while as it was a bit sensitive to the temporary baseboards and kept derailing, notably on the crossover where there was a difference in height between two boards.  However, Maisie and Fred were also visiting the country show, so they'll probably appear there.

I'll show the custom restaurant car in the Trains section shortly.

I would say its time for some more trees on your layout, that is one sad looking camp ground  :lol:. Our layouts are lacking enough trees also and they are damn expensive

thanks for sharing your great work, the kids and adults  must have loved watching the trains

I agree about the trees, Ras.  I put in a DS order before the show and thought about adding some fir trees, but the price put me off.  One thing I did buy on eBay, however, were three of the landscape sets produced to go with the train sets.  I had two already and they nicely fill in the area between the end of the track and the edge of the baseboard.

People certainly seems to enjoy it and it was surprising how many of the kids weren't expecting the trains to be running!  Quite a number started their visit with "Awesome, the trains are running!" or similar terms.

Love this layout, Gordon!  So much going on in a relatively small area.  Of course I zeroed in on the buildings in the town, some very interesting ways that you have customized the houses and shops.  Love the double window panel!

Joe

The table space was 16 feet by 8 feet, 4 feet longer than last year.  I'll be posting detailed photos of the buildings shortly,  The double fronted house was a custom I tried last year but didn't finish.  I'll post a separate topic on it too.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 21:50:24 »
Problem with double posting here so I'll use this for tomorrow's post.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 21:55:48 by playmofire »

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 10:06:38 »
It looks like a nice set up! there's a lot going on there and I'd love to see more close up pictures!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 05:29:51 »
Much later than intended (decorating interrupted things and will continue to do so for about three days a week for the next four weeks or so) here are some more photos from the train layout at Kirkbean 2014.

On a hot summer's day in the town when the town square gets too noisy from the children playing:

what can be better than to go to the cafe:

for a refreshing drink or ice cream:

and to meet up for romance: